• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dude

I have ridden both sets in question.

VERY VERY important...

What rims are you riding???

If it is ANY variant of STAN's, be careful of the Geax tyres.

They do not fit on the Stan's rims (yes they do, but with damage to the rim fitting and cutting the tyre off to remove it).

The Geax tyres are great and last well.

They have a large volume, so it helps if you have a hard-tail bike, itfeels like added suspension.

Geax tends to be on the "heavy" side for tyres.

Currently I am running the Racing Ralph's, and loving them.

No puncture issues, and rolls extremely well.

I love the RR, and will probably replace them again with a set of RR.

However, my mind is tending toward the Continental X King 29er tyres, if I could only get my hands on a pair available in retail (some bikes come with them OEM fitted).

I hope this helps.

Happy Hooping

Why has MAXXIS IKON not been mentioned. Heard they are pretty good.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/maxxis-ikon-672559.html

http://twentynineinches.com/2011/06/28/maxxis-ikon-29er-tires-on-test/

Here are some things Maxxis has to say about the Ikon 29″er version………..

The Ikon is for true racers looking for a true lightweight race tire. With 3C Triple Compound Technology, high-volume casing and a fast rolling tread design, the Ikon provides exemplary performance in all riding conditions. As its name suggests, the Ikon represents all that is true in racing.”

-High-volume, lightweight true racing tire

-3C Triple Compound Technology

-eXCeption race specification

Maxxis offers the Ikon in two versions, both listed as 2.2 inches wide.

29X2.20 ( 57-622 ) Black TPI-120 FOLDABLE 580gm Compound-TRIPLE Max PSI- 65 Tech: eXC/3C/EXO

29X2.20 ( 57-622 ) Black TPI-120 FOLDABLE 520gm Compound-TRIPLE Max PSI- 65 Tech: eXC/3C

We’ll delve into more detail on the technology of these tires in our “Out Of The Box” posting. Look for that soon. Also, these tires will also be featured in our upcoming “Micro Knobbie Shoot-Out”, where we will pit several of the newest smaller knobbed treads against each other. In the meantime, check out Maxxis’ site on the Ikon tires here.

Note: Twenty Nine Inches purchased this pair of Ikon tires for testing/review. We are not being bribed, nor paid for this review, and we will strive to give our honest opinions throughout.

I've been riding Maxxis Crossmark 26" LUST for years not the most grippy but bullet proof.

When i got my new 29er it came with Specialized Renegade 2bliss tyres, on my 3rd ride a piece of 10mm dia wood went through the tread of the rear tyre and it was tickets... The spec 2bliss tyres sidewall and tread is paper thin.

Initially i thought of getting 29" Xmarks but when i saw the Maxxis IKON 29" i was sold and they only weigh 570g, 70g more than the Specialized.. I haven't had any tyre issues since then. They grip & roll really good in wet and dry. Also running well at low pressure of 0.8-1 bar depending on terrain.

I would rate them better than the old stalwart xmarks and would be my choice for Epic.. :thumbup:

Hey Dude

I have ridden both sets in question.

VERY VERY important...

What rims are you riding???

If it is ANY variant of STAN's, be careful of the Geax tyres.

They do not fit on the Stan's rims (yes they do, but with damage to the rim fitting and cutting the tyre off to remove it).

The Geax tyres are great and last well.

They have a large volume, so it helps if you have a hard-tail bike, itfeels like added suspension.

Geax tends to be on the "heavy" side for tyres.

Currently I am running the Racing Ralph's, and loving them.

No puncture issues, and rolls extremely well.

I love the RR, and will probably replace them again with a set of RR.

However, my mind is tending toward the Continental X King 29er tyres, if I could only get my hands on a pair available in retail (some bikes come with them OEM fitted).

I hope this helps.

Happy Hooping

Thanks for the reply. Iam riding Mavic Crossmax wheels.

Racing Ralph Snakeskin :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did the Sabiexperience on them in Desember and i love them,strong light and grips perfect!!

Currently on 2 inch 29'er Continental Race Kings. Not very impressed with the traction. Will try the 2.2 after this but then I need to convince my German blood to try something else. :unsure:

Thanks for the reply. Iam riding Mavic Crossmax wheels.

The Geax will fit 100% on the CrossMax wheels.

Just a reminder...

The Geax has a nice full volume and makes for a plush ride (like added suspension)

The RR's rolls WELL, but with lower volume might feel "hard".

Happy shopping.

PS, if you decide on the Schwalbe's, thing of a Nobby Nic F / Racing Ralph R combo.

Should work a charm :D

Racing Ralph Snakeskin :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did the Sabiexperience on them in Desember and i love them,strong light and grips perfect!!

Agreed on ALL of the above

Strong

Grips

Light

Oh yes, did I mention that it seals well on the rim (UST!?!?!? :o)

I have GEAX on my SC Tallboy. Aka on the front ans Saguro on the back - works well. Also consider the Cross Kings, new from Continental, apparently very good tyres(Cross between Mountain and race king tyres)

Looking for Conti X Kings!!!

Would like to get a pair of them on my Hoops.

Just nowhere available for retail ^_^

I have GEAX on my SC Tallboy. Aka on the front ans Saguro on the back - works well. Also consider the Cross Kings, new from Continental, apparently very good tyres(Cross between Mountain and race king tyres)

This is what I have in mind as well. I had good experiences with Geax on my 26er previously.

The Schwalbe guys just all sound very convincing with the Racing Ralph Snakeskin's.

Try out the spez fast tracks.

I have done epic on them as well as numerous other races. Fast,light and durable. Very happy with them.

Currently on 2 inch 29'er Continental Race Kings. Not very impressed with the traction. Will try the 2.2 after this but then I need to convince my German blood to try something else. :unsure:

I just threw my RK's in the bin and replaced them with Specialized Captain Controls, much happier :thumbup:

Your German blood let you get an Italian thoroughbred so I think you'll be OK with other tyres ;)