Disc Brake Issues

P.A.K.

I don't have Avid's, but running out of patience on mine. Just out of curiosity - what do you guys seem to favour as a decent braking system? Seems Shimano is right up there... What else is advised?

Shimano XT

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also didn't have the best experience with two sets of Avid Elixir brakes. I am convinced the Dot5.1 fluid eats up internal o-rings and getting spares were tough, bleeding them was also a nightmare. Went shimano and I am happy as a pig in ....

ya I thinks so too. Had a bunch of issues with the juicy 7's. In fact my old Deore were better all round than the Avids.

Formula or Hope will be my next set

Very happy with my Shimano XT set though

I'm using Formula and they are just awesome awesome awesome. Really great modulation, they have only given me joy. Sometimes I come off a downhill and the rotors are flaming hot, smells like a train just stopped, they keep stopping! (I know, I brake too much ;)

I'm using Formula and they are just awesome awesome awesome. Really great modulation, they have only given me joy. Sometimes I come off a downhill and the rotors are flaming hot, smells like a train just stopped, they keep stopping! (I know, I brake too much ;)

Besides the fact that they are the hottest looking brakes out there...very important function to me :D

Can't say I don't love my Avids.

A lot of the bad experienes with Avids could purely be as a reslt of not maintaining them correctly. Think of it like this: you buy a ducati, you expect the oil filler cap to inexplicably fall off one morning, and for it to become "de-tuned" if you don't caress it in the right way. They have a very specific set of requirements, and are sometimes a hassle to own. But do their owners hate them? No way. They love em to pieces. Because it is that love that makes them want to form a relationship with the bike, and learn how it works, and do it properly.

Same with avids. They have a very specific set of requirements. If you don't adhere to them, they will be an absolute dog to ride with. But treat them properly, and bleed them, maintain them, and caress them properly, and you'll have trouble free service.

Perhaps people just need to learn how to do things properly again...

And JB - the air in the system wouod have a definite effect on power. The air can compress far more than the fluid itself, which lends it the squishy feeling. But - it also lends it the reduced power that one experiences with the limited travel that a brake lever has. If there were infinite travel in the lever, one could say that the power would remain the same, but in order for the same power to be transferred, the aerated system's lever would have to move far further through its range than the non aerated system. As there is not infinite travel on the brake lever, one can say that air in the system does lead to reduced power in the braking system as a whole

Simple physics...

Edited by cptmayhem

A lot of the bad experienes with Avids could purely be as a reslt of not maintaining them correctly. Think of it like this: you buy a ducati, you expect the oil filler cap to inexplicably fall off one morning, and for it to become "de-tuned" if you don't caress it in the right way. They have a very specific set of requirements, and are sometimes a hassle to own. But do their owners hate them? No way. They love em to pieces. Because it is that love that makes them want to form a relationship with the bike, and learn how it works, and do it properly.

Same with avids. They have a very specific set of requirements. If you don't adhere to them, they will be an absolute dog to ride with. But treat them properly, and bleed them, maintain them, and caress them properly, and you'll have trouble free service.

And JB - the air in the system wouod have a definite effect on power. The air can compress far more than the fluid itself, which lends it the squishy feeling. But - it also lends it the reduced power that one experiences with the limited travel that a brake lever has. If there were infinite travel in the lever, one could say that the power would remain the same, but in order for the same power to be transferred, the aerated system's lever would have to move far further through its range than the non aerated system. As there is not infinite travel on the brake lever, one can say that air in the system does lead to reduced power in the braking system as a whole

Simple physics...

Dude. There is a saying...

Don't preach to the converted. :D

So, now prepare to be converted........

Simple physics...

Your post made me think of the Wimpy ads....

Ag "Mayhem".... I love it when you talk technical to me.....

Now shjoes, avids are *** and you know it..

:lol:

@papa roach

Hey the brakes are awesome once I bought 2 brand new Storm SL rotors (ended up costing the same amount as a pair of brand new Magura's could not just buy 1 Storm SL as the other remaining rotor that was ok was not the same) due to the one "Brand New Brakes and Rotors" I bought from you was completely toast :o But that was long ago, so lets not go there :rolleyes: They are functioning very well. It did makes us learn that you can't use other manufacturers parts with Maruga brakes so it was an expensive excercise. Ps I still have that "special rotor" if you need one :lol:

Saying all that i will buy myself a pair one day, may be even "Brand New ones from the Hub"

Simple physics...

This is all very quaint and nostalgic and all that, but most people don't want tempremental stuff. I say that with full confidence because there are more Toyotas than Alfas on the road.

Let me explain why I say air in the system doesn't have an effect on the power (force actually) that a brake produces. I thought I explained it before but clearly not well enough. Air in the system presents as a soft brake. However, when you pump it it comes up to full "power" and stays on full power until it is released. If you pause before activating the lever again, it will be soft again. Pumping it again, brings it up to full power. The travel and bite point after pumping is exacty the same as that of a healthy system and it will safely bring you to a stop, no matter how long the hill.

Brake bleeding cures only two issues:

1)Air in the system

2)Renew old fluid.

It is not a panacea for all sorts of other Avid problems.

Simple hydraulics...

Your post made me think of the Wimpy ads....

Ag "Mayhem".... I love it when you talk technical to me.....

Now shjoes, avids are *** and you know it..

:lol:

ROFL! Nah, I have a set of Elixir 5's. Not bled once, not faded once, not failed once. I like the way the levers are set up, and i like their feel.

ROFL! Nah, I have a set of Elixir 5's. Not bled once, not faded once, not failed once. I like the way the levers are set up, and i like their feel.

One persons Alpha is another persons Peugeot chap.

You probably got the Monday set. :D

This is all very quaint and nostalgic and all that, but most people don't want tempremental stuff. I say that with full confidence because there are more Toyotas than Alfas on the road.

Let me explain why I say air in the system doesn't have an effect on the power (force actually) that a brake produces. I thought I explained it before but clearly not well enough. Air in the system presents as a soft brake. However, when you pump it it comes up to full "power" and stays on full power until it is released. If you pause before activating the lever again, it will be soft again. Pumping it again, brings it up to full power. The travel and bite point after pumping is exacty the same as that of a healthy system and it will safely bring you to a stop, no matter how long the hill.

Brake bleeding cures only two issues:

1)Air in the system

2)Renew old fluid.

It is not a panacea for all sorts of other Avid problems.

Simple hydraulics...

JB, i get that you can pump the brake lever to get up to the same power level that a non-aerated system would have as a result of just a simgle pull of the lever. And that was the point I was putting across to counter your view on air in the system and the resultant power. Fact is, stroke for stroke a system with air pockets in it is going to have less power than a system without air pockets in it, when comparing a single stroke. You cannot say that a system that needs to be pumped 4 times before desired pressure / force is attained has the same "power" as a system that needs only one pull to get to the same pressure / force. The end result will be the same, but the actual work done in order to get to that force will differ greatly.

Therefore, quite simply, a system with air in it will have less power than a system without air in it. much like a 6 cyl motor running on 4 cylinders, or a car with a blown gasket, power will be diminished.

Edited by cptmayhem

One persons Alpha is another persons Peugeot chap.

You probably got the Monday set. :D

Yep, I agree with that! It was between them and the 2011 slx's. Avids won, and I haven't regretted the choice.

And it's Alfa.

Got ya!