Emperors Palace MTB Classic 2012 (Presented by ASG)

Active Monkey

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They should have this race late in the year when there is not so much rain then it will be much better with less mud.

Dont agree. Take away the mud and you are left with a flat course and nothing else. At least the mud gives it a bit of something. Still wont be doing it as last year they offered 40km and the whole route (both laps) was only about 35km and the bottleneck to get into the woods was horrid

reading all these comments I'm starting to regret I entered.... I just wanna add the medal to my collection and I'm never doing it again

Edited by jarek.pski

reading all these comments I'm starting to regret I entered.... I just wanna add the medal to my collection and I'm never doing it again

Do you actually collect them? I have run out of keys for key rings, so next is to refuse any more and toss the old ones taking up space..

Looking forward to my first race (40k's) of 2012.

The rest of you need a dose of HTFU, complaining about mud, grass...r u people mountain bikers or what!?

Close to the water towers in the residential area there is a park with a new palisade gate. I suppose the route will change slightly compared to last years.

I stay about 4km from this track and cycle it at least 3 times a week - it's not bad. There is a 30m muddy patch that makes the route interesting.

As far as bottle necks - I did all the NISSAN Advendurance Half Marathons last year - and even these routes had it's fair share of bottle necks and crappy areas. But I suppose if I am not up for the challenge I should rather buy a road bike where all the roads are tarred. It's a great race to start the year - and I take my hat off to Lee and his team. I know they want it more controlled and accesable but also safe for us mountain bikers in future. OFTEN I cycled past guys with their cars parked in the field and off road bikes / quad bikes and even guys target shooting. Once or twice a guy with hunting dogs chasing the rabbits and wild birds - so hence the closing of the area. Who knows maybe we will be so lucky that it could become a MTB area, even if we have to pay a entrance fee. I will be there on Saturday riding the 40km and next year and the next. Answer to the initial question about the ride and area: it's varied with a forest and single track with some nice jeep track and tests you over allot of aspects - TRY IT, you might just like it :thumbup: but then I am also a newby that has only been cycling 1 year (Emperors MTB 20km 2011 being my first). Yes the Groenkloofs and Rietvlei's and Teak Place and Suikerbos Rand are all awesome .... but this is our "home" course that offers you some-thing different.

Edited by wouterretief

Not doing the race but will pop in as part of my sat ride and to pick up my number for Sundays road.

Close to the water towers in the residential area there is a park with a new palisade gate. I suppose the route will change slightly compared to last years.

I stay about 4km from this track and cycle it at least 3 times a week - it's not bad. There is a 30m muddy patch that makes the route interesting.

As far as bottle necks - I did all the NISSAN Advendurance Half Marathons last year - and even these routes had it's fair share of bottle necks and crappy areas. But I suppose if I am not up for the challenge I should rather buy a road bike where all the roads are tarred. It's a great race to start the year - and I take my hat off to Lee and his team. I know they want it more controlled and accesable but also safe for us mountain bikers in future. OFTEN I cycled past guys with their cars parked in the field and off road bikes / quad bikes and even guys target shooting. Once or twice a guy with hunting dogs chasing the rabbits and wild birds - so hence the closing of the area. Who knows maybe we will be so lucky that it could become a MTB area, even if we have to pay a entrance fee. I will be there on Saturday riding the 40km and next year and the next. Answer to the initial question about the ride and area: it's varied with a forest and single track with some nice jeep track and tests you over allot of aspects - TRY IT, you might just like it :thumbup: but then I am also a newby that has only been cycling 1 year (Emperors MTB 20km 2011 being my first). Yes the Groenkloofs and Rietvlei's and Teak Place and Suikerbos Rand are all awesome .... but this is our "home" course that offers you some-thing different.

Wouter are you able to get through that gate easily during the week?

Wouter are you able to get through that gate easily during the week?

The gate has ween locked the last few days.

Hey guys. I cycled this route over the week-end and the gate was open. Monday evening I did'nt go but did the wattle forest last night with the aim of finishing off at the big open area afterwards - but the gate was locked :cursing: .Found a hole in the fence close to SMD / Denel - crawled through and dragged the bike through as well. Had a awesome ride - the course has been prepared well and it's dry. Bad news though - spoke to a guy at Sweat and Gears this morning. The airports company has decided to use the land for fuel depo and after the race will be closed permanently. I don't know how this will affect future MTB races there - maybe none at all. I wonder how the residents living next to the field feel about aircraft fuel being kept so close to their houses.

Still it's a major pity and it sucks big time. I am glad I am racing on Saturday because it may be the last time I will be able to cycle the part where I first started mountain biking.

The wattle part is however still open.

By the way - for those cycling on Saturday in the race - spray yourself with Tabard or Peacefull Sleep. There are horse flies in the open part and their bite itches for a couple of days.

Edited by wouterretief