Bike Setup - ErgoFIT vs BG FIT vs Bike Shop

Caerus

BgFit made a huge difference for me. Paid R1000.00 for 2 bikes and I've twice been back for minor adjustments at no extra cost.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surely the most expensive part comes at the end when they tell you you need to change your stem, handle bars, crank, seat post and saddle?

surely the most expensive part comes at the end when they tell you you need to change your stem, handle bars, crank, seat post and saddle?

Yeah, thats what the chap at the BG FIT said to me, R500 + extras.

To be honest, which is better of the two, I wouldn't know.

I must say that BG Fit makes more sense, more input from doctors and medical people who cycle and fully understand the human body.

Perhaps the Ergo chaps do too, I know that Jeroen knows his stuff, I would however opt for the hubber called Fitter here on The Hub to fit me.

I am not sure if Ergo looks at the Varus-Valgus issue as well.

But lastly a bike fit is dependent on the individual, and their ability to put trust in the person fitting them, their openness towards the fit, the ability to accept the new settings and give them time as the fitter suggested.

People with a know-it-all attitude won't get far, people who want to hang on to that nostalgic stem, won't get far.

I really think any fit will be good if the one being fitted is open to change and trust, the mindset to accept these things at the time, will have the biggest impact (imho)

To be honest, which is better of the two, I wouldn't know.

I must say that BG Fit makes more sense, more input from doctors and medical people who cycle and fully understand the human body.

Perhaps the Ergo chaps do too, I know that Jeroen knows his stuff, I would however opt for the hubber called Fitter here on The Hub to fit me.

I am not sure if Ergo looks at the Varus-Valgus issue as well.

But lastly a bike fit is dependent on the individual, and their ability to put trust in the person fitting them, their openness towards the fit, the ability to accept the new settings and give them time as the fitter suggested.

People with a know-it-all attitude won't get far, people who want to hang on to that nostalgic stem, won't get far.

I really think any fit will be good if the one being fitted is open to change and trust, the mindset to accept these things at the time, will have the biggest impact (imho)

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I'm completely open to change so hopefully it makes the impact thats needed. The chap doing the ErgoFIT is a physio, so hopefully he has some knowledge of the human body, as well as being a triathlete.

It's just taking the step in deciding who I would put my trust in. Should I possibly meet the people doing the bike setup to make an assessment for myself which is the better route? The money is not too big of an issue, just want it done right. If I got to change parts as well so be it. :)

It seems with the ErgoFIT they work around whats already on the bike, as opposed to making changes( I could be wrong)

This probably won't help you, but just puts some perspective on the setup issue ... I have a friend in Belgium, who made a booking with a setup guru over there (I'm not sure which- or if either- of the 2 systems mentioned above was used). But the earliest appointment was some 3 months later ... so this particular fellow is in hight demand! When he arrived for the setup, he was immediately redirected back outside and instructed to take an hour ride, so he was more than just warmed up. That was important, because although 2 people may have the same body proportions, they may need different setups, due to flexibility differences. Measurements were recorded (right down to the inward-outward angle of the brake levers). Those measurements are then used to set up any subsequent bikes at no extra cost ... unless he wants to get measured again sometime in the future, due to reduced flexibility as a result of aging, injury, etc. So if there is only one lesson to learn from this story ... ensure you're already sweating, before you get measured.

the mindset to accept these things at the time, will have the biggest impact (imho)

Also the willingness to accept that it can be an iterative process and it may not be possible to get the setup 100% right on the first try (hence the need for one or more follow-ups).

I don't have experience of the BG Fit, but I had the ErgoFit done by Jeroen when I saw him re knee problems. The Ergofit does take into account flexibility and also how often and for how long you have been riding. And it seems everything gets measured.

The only thing I had to change was my stem, maybe I was lucky the rest of the components were fine. The new position took a bit of getting used to, but my knee problem was sorted and (although it could be a mind-thing) I could swear I was faster as well.

ErgoFit should only be done by people trained and certified to do so. It also uses a software program without which the measurements are useless.

In my experience Jeroen really knows his stuff and is a nice guy. I had a few questions afterwards and he responded via email so there is the personal touch as well.

Like I said, I don't know the BG Fit, but I have had only positive experiences with ErgoFit.

I don't have experience of the BG Fit, but I had the ErgoFit done by Jeroen when I saw him re knee problems. The Ergofit does take into account flexibility and also how often and for how long you have been riding. And it seems everything gets measured.

The only thing I had to change was my stem, maybe I was lucky the rest of the components were fine. The new position took a bit of getting used to, but my knee problem was sorted and (although it could be a mind-thing) I could swear I was faster as well.

ErgoFit should only be done by people trained and certified to do so. It also uses a software program without which the measurements are useless.

In my experience Jeroen really knows his stuff and is a nice guy. I had a few questions afterwards and he responded via email so there is the personal touch as well.

Like I said, I don't know the BG Fit, but I have had only positive experiences with ErgoFit.

Are you able to go back for a refit after the intial consultation?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I'm completely open to change so hopefully it makes the impact thats needed. The chap doing the ErgoFIT is a physio, so hopefully he has some knowledge of the human body, as well as being a triathlete.

It's just taking the step in deciding who I would put my trust in. Should I possibly meet the people doing the bike setup to make an assessment for myself which is the better route? The money is not too big of an issue, just want it done right. If I got to change parts as well so be it. :)

It seems with the ErgoFIT they work around whats already on the bike, as opposed to making changes( I could be wrong)

They make changes. After my ergo fit was done I needed a longer stem.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I finally got to go and have my fitting on Tuesday afternoon this week, the actual fitment & consultation lasted two hours( I had two bikes done)

There were some major changes in my main bike(Trance), seat post dropped as well as dropping my stem by 15mm and flipping it over, it has made the world of difference. He seems to think I may need to change to a longer stem as well. I need to get used the changes made so far, then I will go back and look at going from a 90mm to a 100mm stem

Not only do I feel way more comfortable on the bike now, the small pains and niggles I was getting seem to have gone too. The biggest improvement I felt was in my technical ability, with my weight in the correct place I felt that I could take on anything, and found cornering a breeze(always felt sketchy)

In fact, my first ride yesterday was one of the most awesome rides I've had in ages, the bike was feeling so much more responsive.

I would whole heartedly recommend going for a proper bike fitment, the R550 I spent on getting set-up for both bikes is money very well spent, one of the best things I've spent money on in cycling so far.

Caerus, which did you opt for in the end?!

To my knowledge, I have no BG Fit option in the Cape, but loved what Jeroen did with his setup on first my road and later my mtb. Been getting some new twinges of late and was wondering whether I did not screw up somewhere (despite measuring verrrrry carefully!) on a saddle change or something and might have to go for another check-up of setup.

Caerus, which did you opt for in the end?!

To my knowledge, I have no BG Fit option in the Cape, but loved what Jeroen did with his setup on first my road and later my mtb. Been getting some new twinges of late and was wondering whether I did not screw up somewhere (despite measuring verrrrry carefully!) on a saddle change or something and might have to go for another check-up of setup.

Sorry, should have said. I went with the Ergo-Fit.

Ergofit is a predictive bike fit calculation reliant on the input of body measurements in to a locally designed, "averages"-based computer program. Everything else about the fit as practiced by their fitters is copied either from Paul Swift of Andy Pruitt. The predictive, averages based fit gives you just that - an average prediction.

BG Fit is a dynamic bike-fitting that uses a comprehensive assessment of rider flexibility, biomechanics and functionality, combined with an assessment of rider needs and wants, and based almost entirely on a dynamic interaction of rider on bike, to arrive at optimal positioning.

Frankly, to compare Pruitt and Swart is laughable.

Ergofit is a predictive bike fit calculation reliant on the input of body measurements in to a locally designed, "averages"-based computer program. Everything else about the fit as practiced by their fitters is copied either from Paul Swift of Andy Pruitt. The predictive, averages based fit gives you just that - an average prediction.

BG Fit is a dynamic bike-fitting that uses a comprehensive assessment of rider flexibility, biomechanics and functionality, combined with an assessment of rider needs and wants, and based almost entirely on a dynamic interaction of rider on bike, to arrive at optimal positioning.

Frankly, to compare Pruitt and Swart is laughable.

The predictions that ErgoFit predicts for a fitment are not average as you might think. The measurements that we use to make those predictions are also dymanmic, such as neuromuscular efficiency as well as flexibility and obviously the static measurements such as leg length, height, and arm length. The result is a bike fit prediction which is tailored to the individual who has been measured based on their neuromuscular adaption and their flexibility capabilities as well as the static measurements mentioned. The result is that the rider is fitted onto the bike based on what their body can handle flexibility wise, and also according to how much they have previously been riding their bike. This obviously results in improved comfort on the bike and improved performance. The bike fit can also be tailored to different cycling disciplines like road racing, Cross Country mountain bike racing, marathon mountain bike racing, or TT events.

BG Fit is also a good system. The only downfall is that it takes twice as long to perform, and can be not as accurate if the technician performing the fit is not experienced in cycling bio-mechanics.

Personally I hold Dr Swart in very high regard. He has an excellent knowledge base in the field of cycling and cycling bio-mechanics.

Archived