Has the ABSA CAPE EPIC lost its appeal or is it just too expensive?

bolt67

in chatting to some friends about this thread, I was asked if I had the cash and the time would I do it.

I said no. There is just something about riding in the circles for 7 days that does not appeal to me. However riding from Knysna to CT, now that is a very different story!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in chatting to some friends about this thread, I was asked if I had the cash and the time would I do it.

I said no. There is just something about riding in the circles for 7 days that does not appeal to me. However riding from Knysna to CT, now that is a very different story!

+1

+1

Plus another one. On another point, money well spent will be the Attakwas for a one day event, and it feels like a day(long day)(very long) event

U make it sound like a track or XC race....which its definetly not.

For the riders and supporters there are some advantages to having the same start / finish for a few days instead of different places every day

Slowbee, I will not describe any one of the stages as riding around in circles.

I think the Epic has evolved from the trek from Knysna to Cape Town, which was a serious adventure for the keen cyclist to an international event. There will come a time that the pro race will be run on its own, perhaps even as a singles race, with a 3-6 man team, but with an individual winner and we (uhhm not me, I don't train that hard) will be doing Etape type rides or a non pro race a day after the pros on the same course.

Pity 'bout the new logo, though, it still is @%@*&%^.

Hey guys no critism on the current event. Its still flippen hard epic!

Its just that for me personally, there is no apeal. And yes I get why they do it and everything else. But it just does not appeal to me riding in circles. So even if I could get the cash and time and partner to train for this event, I would not do it. Kinda hard to explain. However, if the route was a straight line (more or less, more wavy like) ..... then we would be onto something completely different.

For me, Epic has a huge appeal and I will do it one day ( find a sponsor to pay the entry ) ,so just the cost is my excuse .

R28000 odd on entry or a new bike each year , i go with new bike.

Same here

Hmm I'm not sticking up for the CE high costs BUT I think some parts (the bold bits) of your statemunt are...uhmmm... total BS about sums it up.

Sure

Tours de France/Italy/Spain all start & finish in different places. No reason why the Epic should go for circular stages (except the TT). I think it is done to push up profit margins, but it does make it a bit less epic imo.

In my opinion, Kevin would be extremely happy if the field at the Epic was just limited to the top 100 pro/semi-pro teams. I've heard that the cash value this year from the 2 main sponsors totals approximately R12 million. So he isn't too worried if the average Joe thinks the Epic is too expensive. His answer I'm sure will be, it's a UCI registered event with the top pro's, for that privilege, you pay.

As an individual, you have a choice, accept the price and ride or find an alternate race which is better value for money ie Trans-Alps, Joberg2C, Trans-Portugal etc.

The circle thing was an issue for me before the 2011 Epic, but I can't say it really bothered me. Riding in a straight line or a circle in the Epic- both are tough. Perhaps call it a Semi-circle. Start in Robertson and end in Somerset West with some circles in between. Cape Pioneer follows one large circle - you end where you started.

In my opinion, Kevin would be extremely happy if the field at the Epic was just limited to the top 100 pro/semi-pro teams. I've heard that the cash value this year from the 2 main sponsors totals approximately R12 million. So he isn't too worried if the average Joe thinks the Epic is too expensive. His answer I'm sure will be, it's a UCI registered event with the top pro's, for that privilege, you pay.

As an individual, you have a choice, accept the price and ride or find an alternate race which is better value for money ie Trans-Alps, Joberg2C, Trans-Portugal etc.

+1 - especially the last sentence...

I have done the Epic in 2009 and would for sure do it again, BUT for that entry price NO THANKS. I personally feel it is just to much...

In the same vein it could be argued that the sponsor total tally's up to R 12 mill. because of the expected number of competitor's.

And lets not forget, it's a UCI event because the "general runt of trash"that enters the event just behind the pro field, is what has made the event a success and the fact that their entry fee went a long way in helping the cash flow.

I don't have a problem with the price. It is more than I am prepared to pay, but in a capitalist economy, the price is what the market is prepared to pay. The Epic must sell enough entries to keep the price what it is.

In the same vein it could be argued that the sponsor total tally's up to R 12 mill. because of the expected number of competitor's.

And lets not forget, it's a UCI event because the "general runt of trash"that enters the event just behind the pro field, is what has made the event a success and the fact that their entry fee went a long way in helping the cash flow.

Your last sentence is 100% accurate. If it hadn't had been for the normal rider over the past 7 years or so, the event wouldn't be were it is today. Unfortunately though, once you've made your name, you tend to forget from whence you came.