Cyclist down in Sunninghill

Dumbledore

I hope all turns out OK in the end. Guys remember large number of fatalities occur between 6pm and 9pm. Stay off the roads after 6pm.

Yeah, the guys do speed both up & down this road. Sometimes how ever there are both cyclists and runners that rim & ride sometimes 4 next to each other. Just because its so early doesn't give anyone the right to take up the yellow lane plus a normal lane. That just leaves 1 lane for a car to drive past in.

I agree with the above post, try be home by 18h00 or atleast 18h30.

Please keep us posted on Jans status & if you know what really happened, do share.

This is a father of a mate of mine. Jan Henning Snr. Serious injuries.

From the primary scans he has a broken left leg (ankle and femur), he has broken ribs (3 left, 2 right), he has a broken jaw, there are a few cracked vertebrae in the neck, he lost a lot of blood because he is on Warfarin, so they pumped him full of blood and adrenalin last night. He had a full body x-ray, and a Cat scan last night, there is bleeding on the brain. He is going for another Cat scan this morning.

Not cool. If anyone knows further details of the incident let me know

Phoeew, those are terrible injuries, especially the neck injury, speaking from experience as I have had two spinal fusions, injuries like that will take a long long time to heal, possibly years depending on his age.........! Very unfortunate news.

Morning all

Quick update on the injuries and status of the rider:

Jan jnr went to the local police station. There is a 60 year old white guy in the cell who was drunk at the time and was the driver of the SUV that hit him. He is under arrest.

He did not have the brain scan today (yesterday), they say it will happen tomorrow (today). He is still in an induced coma. There is a huge gash in his thigh below his bottom, where the car hit him, but his femur is not broken.

The doctors are reducing the morphine to reduce the strain on the heart, the major concerns at this stage are the brain, the heart and the kidney.

The accident happened 5 mins from home. They live just round the corner from Sunninghill Village shopping centre.

Edited by DaveT

Was the driver held, questioned and, possibly, held liable for the smash?

Any info...

:mellow:

When has any driver been held after knocking a cyclist down? (Except if is he is DUI?)

Chop, this is SA

Thanks for the update, praying for a speedy and full recovery.

There is a 60 year old white guy in the cell who was drunk at the time and was the driver of the SUV that hit him. He is under arrest.

Hope he gets a 'slow puncture'

Updates on Jan snr:

After a weekend of being in ICU this is the update:

1. He is still on the adrenalin and morphine

2. He is still receiving blood

3. he is still in an induced coma.

4. The cat scan this morning has not revealed anything new, so no changes, but no improvements, which is a concern.

5. He is still not breathing on his own either

6. The gash on his leg has turned into a major cut, running from the knee to the bum. It is deep.

Things are bit unclear but I think the Dr’s are waiting for his heart and lungs to kick in and do their own thing, that is why he is still on the adrenalin and in an induced coma!!!

The story that is coming out about the accident is worse than initially thought. A jogger stopped at the accident and so did two black men who saw the whole thing happen. The jogger ran to a garage in Sunninghill, Rog knows the owner and is trying to piece it all together. The jogger and the owner then drove to Jan, then the owner of the garage drove back to the garage and phoned the hospital. The two black men stayed with Jan while this was all happening. The driver of the bakkie that hit Jan apparently was walking around doing nothing, in a total daze!!!

Oi hectic. hope he pulls through - let us know if any updates, but he stays in our thoughts...