"As New" bike parts!

coetzpj

In my opinion, price expectations of many sellers advertising "As New" bike parts on the hub, are pie in the sky, as these are only worth 50% of the retail price - obvious reason being the (missing) guarantee - warranty? However, some hubbers seem to be competing with the shops? Or perhaps, the shops are selling on thehub?

Urban - I think you mean attained, not calculated...

In this case, it's attained by virtue of consumerism. The value attributed to second hand bike parts is generally 50% of their list price (depending on the item)

It would be calculated on the value of the item, if bought new.

In my opinion, price expectations of many sellers advertising "As New" bike parts on the hub, are pie in the sky, as these are only worth 50% of the retail price - obvious reason being the (missing) guarantee - warranty? However, some hubbers seem to be competing with the shops? Or perhaps, the shops are selling on thehub?

It gets worse ........................ on a few occasions hubbers are selling "as new" at higher prices than "brand new" at CWC !

Dare point this out and you get flamed or accused of spoiling the sale - the impression is almost created that there are a few "predator hubbers" who full well know LBS and online prices, but hope to catch a few newbies .........................

People have this expectation that you will agree to his selling price, they think that because it costs that price new, they can rip you off with the same price. Or they see something they would like to buy and then try and flog theirs for the same price.

I recently sold a bunch of "As New" parts. Well they were better than "as new" due to the fact that they had come straight off a brand new bike that had never been ridden.

As a guideline I took the CRC/CWC price (whichever was lower) and deducted 40%. Some may think this is too low. And sure, I could have squeezed more money out of buyers if I sat with my add up for 3 weeks, but I managed to sell all the parts in less than 24hrs.

So where is the right pricing... I don't know. I do know that 40% off CRC prices on OEM goods will have the hubbers like hungry hippos.

EDIT: as an example. I sold a complete set of XTR M970 chainrings for R1400 incl. courier. Just the big blade is approx R1350 on CRC. The big blade goes for R2500 in an LBS, R1900 for the middle. (just shows what the LBSers are up to). The buyer was happy with the deal. I was happy with that price. I wasn't looking to make a profit off my unwanted parts, merely cover the cost of the parts I wanted to replace with.

Look at Crackerjack in the classifieds. He does it right!

Edited by patches

50% of RRP is generally a good starting point.

Price can be adjusted from there depending on condition of item, demand for item, and desire to sell.

If prices are too steep, move on (or point it out if you wish) ... the seller will soon realise through the lack of interest anyway.

Some Hubbers are just looking to get rid of some unused equipment which somebody else can benefit from.

Some are trying to maintain acceptable domestic relations ... "you can see I'm trying to get rid of some of the things in the garage"

And yes, some are trying their luck.!

Willing seller...willing buyer, you will quickly know if your expectations is too high ito price by the lack of interest. My rule of thumb...if you want a quick sale go in at about 60% of CRC price(that is if said goods are in prestine condition) and depending on condition drops down from there.

Also some things are popular and in demand and tend to keep their value a bit better

I recently sold a bunch of "As New" parts. Well they were better than "as new" due to the fact that they had come straight off a brand new bike that had never been ridden.

As a guideline I took the CRC/CWC price (whichever was lower) and deducted 40%. Some may think this is too low. And sure, I could have squeezed more money out of buyers if I sat with my add up for 3 weeks, but I managed to sell all the parts in less than 24hrs.

So where is the right pricing... I don't know. I do know that 40% off CRC prices on OEM goods will have the hubbers like hungry hippos.

EDIT: as an example. I sold a complete set of XTR M970 chainrings for R1400 incl. courier. Just the big blade is approx R1350 on CRC. The big blade goes for R2500 in an LBS, R1900 for the middle. (just shows what the LBSers are up to). The buyer was happy with the deal. I was happy with that price. I wasn't looking to make a profit off my unwanted parts, merely cover the cost of the parts I wanted to replace with.

He sure made me a happy customer too :clap:

Willing seller...willing buyer, you will quickly know if your expectations is too high ito price by the lack of interest. My rule of thumb...if you want a quick sale go in at about 60% of CRC price(that is if said goods are in prestine condition) and depending on condition drops down from there.

Also some things are popular and in demand and tend to keep their value a bit better

That i am afraid is all that she wrote.

You can charge what you want, doesnt mean we "have" to buy it.

If your goods are overpriced, they will not sell...bottom line is all about , well the bottom line.

We can debate whether its ethical to overcharge till we are blue in the face, but the crux of the matter is that if someone is prepared to pay, let them, if they are not, let them...freedom of choice.

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with most of the above opinions. 40% off CWC CRC is a good starting point. I don't agree that the value of the warranty is 50% of the value of the product (assuming it is new). Personally if i sold a product and someone had a problem with it I will sort it out at my own cost if necessary. How many times have guys complained about bad service from LBSs when not honouring the warranty.(giant anthem/trance comes to mind)

Although there are hundreds of hubbers, this forum is way too small to rip someone off.

The fact of the matter is that you should sell something at a price that will make someone want to buy the product when he may have bought elsewhere or not at all.

I sell with 2 rules: 1 be honest (including the description of the product and condition); and 2 offer a refund if the buyer is unhappy with the purchase (within reason, of course)

Just my opinion

Edited by crackajack

Well.....as some said, willing seller, willing buyer. Welcome to the world of economics.

If you don't like the price, don't bomb the okes ad. Rather PM him and sort it out.

Like gentleman you see. ;)

As for myself....I have sold PLENTY stuff on the Hub. EVERY SINGLE customer happy and almost ALL my stuff were "as new" and I always sell at a good price.

Personally I think people are BLINDED by the whole Warranty thing.....most suppliers only have a 1 year or 5 year warranty.....and stuff don't break that easy these days. IMHO

I like what Thomo said:

Some Hubbers are just looking to get rid of some unused equipment which somebody else can benefit from.

Some are trying to maintain acceptable domestic relations ... "you can see I'm trying to get rid of some of the things in the garage"

And yes, some are trying their luck.!

If you don't like the price, don't bomb the okes ad. Rather PM him and sort it out.

Like gentleman you see. ;)

I don't quite agree with this statement. If the item is overpriced I will say as much with a good motivation e.g. CWC sells the same item new for the same price. Its not cool to slam the oke, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out that he is overpriced.

If I shop around for something I appreciate the comments others make on the for sale items. At the same time, if I see an item that goes for a good price, even though I am not interested I will add a post saying Good deal.

The adds after all form part of the public forum

If the item is overpriced I will say as much with a good motivation e.g. CWC sells the same item new for the same price. Its not cool to slam the oke, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out that he is overpriced.

Who made you the Hub police and how do you know if the price is to high?

Still waiting on response to yesterday's PM. See some of the stuff already sold. :(