Hairy

Are you using a SS specific chain on your SS  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using a SS specific chain on your SS

• Good old 9spd chain
    • Half Link Chain
    • BMX type SS chain
    • 8spd chain

My brother has broken one 8 spd chain it was about 3 years old. I've never. I like the sram ones just cos of the quicklink as opposed to the shimano type quicklink. Otherwise no problems.

I would like to say it was my immense leg power :w00t: , but the truth is, it was a poor install. I added a couple of links after changing ratios and bent the outer plate open because I hadn't pushed the pin back in properly.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I broke a gusset one last week. It was a couple of years old tho. I'm using a sram ss chain, so far so good.

Using BMX chain on horizontal dropouts with tugs .Simple strong and long lasting .Current chain is a sram bmx chain R110

I got hold of an "universal chaintool". It worked reasonably well although I had to remove the last mm or so of the pin with tools because the pin of the tool is not long enough to clear the whole track chain. The gold chain looks wicked on my Ti frame though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest notmyname

Anybody know of a store with half link chains in JHB?

Anybody know of a store with half link chains in JHB?

International Trade have Spank chains in a choice of colours :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
Guest Verona のごはん

KMC single speed chain with Dicta BMX freewheel has never let me down.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to Single Speeds.

I have a question for the Gurus...

My chain is jumping off the cog when I'm out the saddle, on short rocky, bumpy climbs.

My current set up is:

Raceface Aeffect narrow/wide 32t chain ring (supposedly accepts 9,10&11 speed chains).

A 9 speed chain.

And a Ringle 18t cog (which is narrow).

Chain tension is very tight, as tight as it can go before it starts binding.

I'm riding a Trek Stache with sliding "strangle hold" drop outs, so tensioning the chain is very easy.

What is my fault and how can I correct this problem of the chain bouncing(?) jumping of the cog? It is extremely frustrating!

Also, every now and again there is a loud "clack" from somewhere in the drive chain, like a tooth just broke off, or the chain is threatened to snap… any guesses what that is and how I can fix it?

And lastly, a question about chains… One bike mechanic told me a single speed specific chain will work with my narrow wide chain ring, another bike mechanic said it won't, because the distance (length) between the pins and rollers in the chain is different and it will damage the teeth of the chain ring…???

Any one got any further input on that?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Archived