• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much strong in those legs....

IF ONLY :unsure:

MORE LIKE TO MUCH FAT IN THE BELLY

Edited by jcmeyer15

Changed the BMX chain over to a 9spd chain last night and the ride is so much quieter.

I have a std 9spd blade up front with a rear cog and the BMX chain tended to wander on this set up and make a silly noise.

Let's see how this lasts

Hey guys

Some help in this department PLEASE

I am running a Momsen Twen9AL SS setup with a Race Face Evolve SS crankset (32T), and Gusset sprockets (16 at the moment), and I found the following:

• With SRAM SS chain, under power, the chain was lifting on the sprocket (it felt like a worn chain would on a cassette).
  • Now running 9spd chain, and no such nonsence (on the same sprockets).

I bought the sprockets under the pretence that it was SS specific, but no suck luck.

Now, my order is ready for the following (check link below)

http://www.gussetbikes.com/products-information.php?id=CSGU612

This is a Gusset SS sprocket (wide base), but in the description it says (*Note: are suitable for narrow 5/64” (9 speed) chains.), and this bothers me, as I want to run a

Half Link

or

SS specific chain.

Any advice in this regard???

• 1) With SRAM SS chain, under power, the chain was lifting on the sprocket (it felt like a worn chain would on a cassette).
  • Now running 9spd chain, and no such nonsence (on the same sprockets).

2) I bought the sprockets under the pretence that it was SS specific, but no suck luck.

1) I run a Gusset 17t sprocket and initially had the same problem of slipping. Turned out it was my chain ( 1 x new & 1 x used 9 speed chains tried in process) which despite having a tensioner on, was a link too long and not engaging enough teeth. (Fireye tensioner pushes chain down away from sprocket rather than up towards it). Removing a link has solved problem and as mentioned earlier, now use a cheap n cheerful 7 speed chain with perfect results. Were your chain lengths equal between each chain you tried and could you shorten the slipping chain by a link?

2) The term "SS specific" is often just a reference to the fact that the piece of kit in question is to be used on a single gear setup rather than with derailleurs, not necessarily a reference to a specific dimension.

Personally, unless you're BMX racing or riding trick or ramp BMX where power output and grind abuse is high, I don't think a chunky/heavy BMX chain is warranted. Rather stick with cheaper and lighter 7, 8 or 9 speed chains.

1/8th track chain. Bullet proof.

Hi Cheesy

Yes, that will be bullet Proof, but therein lies the problem.

What I could find on the trusted net...

Cassette width's differ from 1/8", 3/32" and more.

The 1/8" are SS / track specific, and ideal,

but,

doing a SS conversion on a hub freebody and fitting the 1/8" cogs are not so easy to come by.

So, what I could muster up, is to get a 3/32" half link chain,

shorten as much as I can,

and use on the available 3/32" cogs (named 8/9 speed compatible).

THX Cyclocross for the input as well.

• 3 months later...

Cheap BMX chains last me as long as expensive SS-specific track or half link chains.

R75 for a chain that lasts me 6 months. Bargain of note!

Yeah, I go trough chains and BB's at a rate of knots, so I go as cheap as possible.

Dangle ... have you tried the Hope BB's ... as I understand one can replace the bearings easily with "off-the-shelf" bearings from a place like bearing man.

I ask this as I am considering one.

I had so much uphill with geared chains ( after eating tar )That about a year back i fitted a sram track chain, blackspear front ring and shimano dx sproket and have not changed it since . Quite and as strong as hell .

This morning was a close one for me. I replaced the BB last week while also looking after/running after my 10month old son and somehow I attached the crank and only assembled the lot together with the little plastic screwy thingy that pulls the non-drive side arm to the spindle ...... needless to say that as I started accelerating over a bridge this morning I ended up pedaling with my right leg only and the left hand side crank arm with pedals attached to my left shoe.

To say I was am pissed off is one mother of an understatement.

If I had stood and pedaled in anger it would have made for an interesting late night horror story.

Cheap BMX chains last me as long as expensive SS-specific track or half link chains.

R75 for a chain that lasts me 6 months. Bargain of note!

You're getting ripped off. Linden Cycles sells KMC BMX chains for R32.