Formula R1 or XTR brakes?

wings47

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my brakes from the 'old' XT (which I have now sold). I ride and race a Tallboy 29er and am a light rider (60kg). My Tallboy weighed about 11.1 kg with the old XT brakes. I am careful with weight but don't go to 'extremes'. I use single-finger braking.

So the question is, what brake to go for, Formula R1 at around 390 grams (and costing R5k) or XTR BL-M985 at around 465 grams and about R4k (both excluding rotors)?

My sense is that F1 has better modulation and plenty of power (for my weight anyway), is lighter, but not as 'robust' as XTR and not as easy to get repaired/bled and parts cost more (pads, levers if they break).

XTR seems more robust at a weight penalty, provides probably even more braking power than F1 (is this needed??) and everyone knows how to bleed it (seldomly needed anyway). Parts also easily available.

(XT is 100 grams heavier than XTR and costs about R2,500)).

Would appreciate any thoughts and constructive comments.

Many thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask weight weenie.

He would be able to help you out with a proper answer. He own R1's on an XTR groupo.

I had the M770 XT brakes on my bike and was never really happy with them. Switched to the 1st R1's that came out (still with magnesium levers) and I've never looked back. Lighter, better looking, powerful with good modulation, no fade for marathon/xc riding. You can get all the replacement bits from CRC, even different colour bits to pimp your ride.

What do you want in a brake ? If you are really serious about weight then you need to look at the R1 Race brake as it is the lightest stock model from Formula, with carbon levers and Titanium bolts and the lightweight 6 bolt Formula rotor (not the 2 piece). Otherwise I would recommend the Formula RX for good performance but at lower price and higher weight.

I haven't used the new XTR so cannot comment or compare them to the R1's.

The R1 will have enough power for you to use a 140mm disk on the rear.

You can get R1 bleed kits on CRC and there has been an article on it by bikemagic.

Don't see why shops wouldn't be able to do it, I haven't had to have it done anyway.

WRT to durability, I have the old model which has given issues with the brake lever sticking when the bolts are too tight that holds the lever in, but the newer models don;t have any issues I know of.

Also search the forum there are similar threads that will give you more info.

Hope this helps.

WW.

I use Formula brakes and can say they are better than the Avids I had before. Downsides: Cost me R800 to lengthen the cable which was neccessary for my frame. Pads are expensive.

Haven't used the XTR but the R1 are awesome. Only downside its most lbs' don't carry spares but easily resolved through CRC. Bit pricy if you hard on you're brakes. R250 per pad for sintered replacEments. (R500).

Stopping power is good. Also use only 1 fingerand never had reason to question the stopping distance. (especially after a steep decent)

The Formulas can stop a train.

The XTR's feel smoother.

The new XT brakes are also very nice, and don't cost the earth.

I wouldhave gone for the XTR race with resin pads and Alligator rotors and am loving them.

Have used both including latest XTR.

Formula for lighter, better modulation and best stopping power. XTR for keeping it in the family.

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my brakes from the 'old' XT (which I have now sold). I ride and race a Tallboy 29er and am a light rider (60kg). My Tallboy weighed about 11.1 kg with the old XT brakes. I am careful with weight but don't go to 'extremes'. I use single-finger braking.

So the question is, what brake to go for, Formula R1 at around 390 grams (and costing R5k) or XTR BL-M985 at around 465 grams and about R4k (both excluding rotors)?

My sense is that F1 has better modulation and plenty of power (for my weight anyway), is lighter, but not as 'robust' as XTR and not as easy to get repaired/bled and parts cost more (pads, levers if they break).

XTR seems more robust at a weight penalty, provides probably even more braking power than F1 (is this needed??) and everyone knows how to bleed it (seldomly needed anyway). Parts also easily available.

(XT is 100 grams heavier than XTR and costs about R2,500)).

Would appreciate any thoughts and constructive comments.

Many thanks.

Chap, they are both brilliant Brake systems, but Formula do not modulate better than the new XTR. No way.

They sure bite like a BiIaachi, but not modulate better. Nyet.

New XTR also bleed so easy you can do it with your eyes closed.

But then I am a bit of a Shimano pimp. :D

Edited by The Drongo

Have used both including latest XTR.

Formula for lighter, better modulation and best stopping power. XTR for keeping it in the family.

Eish. too much of battle...How?

Thanks guys for your valuable input / comments. I am swaying towards the new XTR brakes as then I'd combine them with the new 980 shifters and use the ITec single bracket for both. Also for ease of availabilityof spares, service, etc for Shimano.

R1 seems to be about 45g lighter than XTR (and costing about R1,200 more) for the brakeset (excl rotors) and RX about 40g heavier (but costing R1,000 less than XTR!).

are you mad.... R1 are the ULTIMATE in mtb brakes.... I have tried everything from XTR, Avid Elixr CR, Hygia and then finally Formula R1. There are brakes and then there are Formula R1's.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/shimano/xtr-trail-br-m988/prd_463613_1507crx.aspx

VS

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/formula-brakes/r1/prd_438497_1507crx.aspx

Edited by rattlesnake

Chances are the RX will be close to the XTR's performance levels. Spares and back up for Formula is better than Shimano believe it or not.

For spares:

www.rushsportscycling.com

• 1 year later...

Does any one know in Jhb North where one can get a XTR bleed kit and what oil, I decided I doing the bleed my self from now on.