Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

kandui

sounds like the OP is just p'd off that he trained hard and put in everything he had just to receive the same medal as the weekend warrior who only rode a 10th of his distance.

I for one love my medals, especially the first few and the 10th ones. I dont value the ones I got for the shorter races that much, but then I dont do to many shorter races so it does not concern me enough to start a whole new thread about it.

oh, and if you are moaning about the money spent on medals, and then moan about the guys doing the shorter route getting the same medal, have you thought about economies of scale here ? its more than likely cheap for the organisers to order 10 000 of the same medal than 9000 on one and 1000 of another.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with OP but I would prefer to see medals for top places and then tokens for finishing - I would treasure a "I survived the 40km Die Burger MTB challenge" keyring (or similar item) a lot more than the generic medal I got.

I also never got a medal for the first race I completed (should have) and that would have been the only time I truly wanted a medal.

Perhaps giving out participation badges like Motorbikers do might be another solution - would look funky on my cycling top ;)

everything is relative!

when I was starting out in races I "collected" medals for the back end of the race... it was my motivation when I was exhausted..."I am gonna get that medal to remind myself that I can do it" I have a box of them and everyone is a key to remembering the pain and agony... and sometimes joy of the effort I put into my preparation and race... some people just have good memories and dont need objects to remind them... that's also cool.

Just because you no longer see the benefit of "meaningless" awards... does not mean it will not motivate newcommers to the sport.. like it did me! and you do understand the implications of a sport with dwindling numbers?

you do understand that it is not just about you! If you want to give to a charity... then do so... do not expect everyone else to do it for you... you have a check book? internet? get the bank detail of a charity and EFT your contribution to them... it will take less time than riding your bike in a race... and then you could give them something substantial instead of the R10 that the medals cost!

My last race was the Namiba Desert Dash... I came 52nd... I got a medal with my name and time engraved onto it... I will treasure that object!

And that's pretty much the deal.

Medal is like a reminder of what you have achieved :P (Could be something else, I agree but I do think it's nice to get something.)

Makes me proud :D/

Edited by r0adrunnerza

I agree with OP but I would prefer to see medals for top places and then tokens for finishing - I would treasure a "I survived the 40km Die Burger MTB challenge" keyring (or similar item) a lot more than the generic medal I got.

I also never got a medal for the first race I completed (should have) and that would have been the only time I truly wanted a medal.

Perhaps giving out participation badges like Motorbikers do might be another solution - would look funky on my cycling top ;)

In the old days you bought milk with tokens and you will have to change your cycling top with a leather jacket.

Medal is like a reminder of what you have achieved :P (Could be something else, I agree but I do think it's nice to get something.)

Makes me proud :D/

+1

Last year we got "Steve's Auto Clinic" golf shirts instead of medals at the Cradle Quest race... that was pretty random. Personally I would've rather wanted a medal. It's a way for me to keep track and remember all the races I have done. I keep all my medals.

i'm not allowed to enter funrides unless i promise our two year old the medal when i finish.

the best, though, was the response after last year's cobra where little pens with a logo were handed out - jeepers, the outcry! i mean, for once you receive a perfectly functional object and everyone complained!

if you don't want a medal, just ride past the ladies and say no thanks, there's many that love them

+1

Although I agree with OP I can't see the organizers being open and honest about donations to charity

if you don't want a medal, just ride past the ladies and say no thanks, there's many that love them

Agree, i like my medal to show i completed a event, otherwise dont enter any events.

Edited by raptor

My old man has 11 Comrades medals and they all mean a lot to him. 15 years of running 2 races per weekend and he has probably tossed over 1000 medals from shorter distances. Some medals are "worth" more than others and it depends on the achievements of the individual and the number of events completed.

Only one opinion.

Depending on your relative fitness some medals are meaningful just for finishing. If you really don't believe that I will wait for you at the finish line of the Freedom Challange and watch you say "no thanks" to a medal.

+1 So don't take a medal if you feel so strongly about it, all my medals are good memories!

Medals- a very emotive issue. I am not being militant about this. With hundreds of riders crossing the line at short intervals, there is little time to be nice and complimentary to everyone when handing them over. A symbol of achievement and a memory jogger, agreed.

When I got that medal on Saturday, I just saw all the medals I have from fun rides and I was thinking to myself, "Where is this one going?".

My opinion on the matter won't stop medals being handed out, majority rules on this one.

While I don't volunteer at PPA events, I do try and do my bit with the Table Mountain Bikers initiative. What has this topic got to with TMB I am asked? Nothing, but TMB has a Forum which is open to discuss any topic, same as the Hub.

I for one was not disappointed that there were no medals at the Rollercoaster. My experience was not diminished and I had a great time.

I don’t know hey. I agree about the sentiment of a medal.

But I’ve learnt, sometime the medals are for the loved ones. My wife proudly displays the medals, I have achieved. Me I couldn’t give a hoot. But I like my wife to be happy, and too, proud of me (You should have seen her, when I completed Ironman 70.3 this year. :) ).

But if you don’t wont or cherish a medal, maybe think of your partner, maybe she (or he), will cherish it more than you.

But thinking about it. In years to come, I would like my kids (or gran kids) to see what I was able to achieve too. I think showing and telling, is a lot more appealing and meaningful, than saying I did XYZ, and not being able to show anything for it, cause you thought the medals are cheap, and at this moment offer no satisfaction.

Edited by bclark