Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

kandui

online entrants should be able to opt out of the medal and opt in to a charity donation. medal collectors get a gold sticker for their helmutt or whatever. those without are not offered one at the finish. simple.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer for them to keep the medals, however I have no use for the water points. Maybe they should rather stop those?

How about a pair of socks with the race name and year instead of a medal? Socks are always useful and you can show off your prowess at the same time.

Yeah! but a decent pair please. NO t-shirts asseblief, they ALWAYS give poor quality shirts that shrink at the back...always.

I prefer for them to keep the medals, however I have no use for the water points. Maybe they should rather stop those?

For back markers who spend 4 plus hours doing a 100km ride WP are essential.

We thought of dishing out boxer shorts with the event logo on last year :eek: but then thankfully changed to buffs as finisher mementos :thumbup:

post-523-0-72354200-1335256847.jpg

For back markers who spend 4 plus hours doing a 100km ride WP are essential.

4hr/100km's on a MTB ... not bad.

I still think the cotton badges are the coolest. Sew them on to your Camelbak , like the Backpackers with the rucksacks full of country badges. Old School!

I still think the cotton badges are the coolest. Sew them on to your Camelbak , like the Backpackers with the rucksacks full of country badges. Old School!

ooo man i love that idea ... so cool !!!!

Yeah! but a decent pair please. NO t-shirts asseblief, they ALWAYS give poor quality shirts that shrink at the back...always.

We get socks at the OFM classic, very good quality you see the guys with them in races two to three years later.

I like mine a lot altjhough it doesnot remind me about the race. Look at my times for that

I am an organiser...what do you want??!!

Yeah, answer his question before we admit to having anything to do with a cycling event...

Having ploughed through 9 pages of "I want" and "I don't want" I deserve a medal....

Seriously though, medals are worth keeping.

I have only ever done 1 comrades, received my medal, and was proud of it.

Unfortunately it got lost somewhere between moving and the 23 years in between then and now.

Same with my gold for competing in the SADF athletics champs way back when, when I could still give a decent sprint of speed.

My son is now the sportsman in the family, riding like the hounds of hell are chasing him. Each event and medal is special in some way.

We note the date, and place he came in the event, on the ribbon of each medal.

He has quite a few MTB handlebars mounted on the wall of his room, and all the medals hang there.

Some events he did not receive a medal, and those times the dissappointment on his face is a memory in itself.

His first "big" event was the 40km Induna in 2009, where he came in 99'th, placing him in the top 100.

No great achievement by todays standards, but at that time it was a big deal. The spot where that medal should have been still hangs empty on the handlebar.

The organizers had decided to hand the money they would have spent on medals to a local school. A good deed in anyones' book, but then again the school receives financial assistance from the goverment, while that medal might just have meant a lot to a 13 year old boy.

Some medals mean less than others, some more. Yet everyone of them tells a story.

What do yours tell you?

Yeah, answer his question before we admit to having anything to do with a cycling event...

Smous