Krugersdorp Game Reserve Mountain Bike Challenge 11 Feb

Garfield2010

Anyone doing the 40km?

I am a novice MTB'er. What can I expect? I prefer road cause its a lot easier but want to give the MTB another crack....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why skip it? If you are close by and keen give it a go! I would have entered but had already spend my race money on another event.

Ok I will enter. Apparently there will be plenty of game. I wonder if the race organisers will allow me to start with my compund bow on my back?

Ok I will enter. Apparently there will be plenty of game. I wonder if the race organisers will allow me to start with my compund bow on my back?

Lol, what compound bow you got? I also shoot with a compound, never been hunting yet though... I've got a PSE Nova I bought bout 10 years ago, still going strong

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

Haha actually I bought 2 bows. A compund for the Mrs and a normal Robin Hood Bow for me. Have never used them though. Will definately start some time this winter! I dont know the names of the bows.

As far as I know, Krugersdorp Game Reserve is pretty flat and non-technical... Most routes seem to be jeep track! Have a look at the attached thread for a bit more info...

Not entirely. We rode near their 4x4 track which had some steep, rocky climbs. I see however the 20km race stays on the tar road.

40km race is gonna have a couple of climbs the first ones are gonna be bit rocky and fairly technical but the rest is gonna be fun, fast paced with some single track. Other lekker part is the 40k is a completely different route from the 20km so no laps and there shouldn't be alot of congestion.

As far as I know, Krugersdorp Game Reserve is pretty flat and non-technical... Most routes seem to be jeep track! Have a look at the attached thread for a bit more info...

http://www.thehubsa....__fromsearch__1

"As far as I know..???"

Have you ever been there? No? Then you don't know :thumbdown:

There are sections that will make the average weekend warrior *** himself and hate his bike. If you've had a big breakfast expect to puke it up on the first climb from the carpark. Non-technical? Fast rocky step-offs and switchbacks on the Wildebeest Koppie. Stay awake or expect to fall

"As far as I know..???"

Have you ever been there? No? Then you don't know :thumbdown:

There are sections that will make the average weekend warrior *** himself and hate his bike. If you've had a big breakfast expect to puke it up on the first climb from the carpark. Non-technical? Fast rocky step-offs and switchbacks on the Wildebeest Koppie. Stay awake or expect to fall

This is exactly what I want to hear. See you guys there!!

Here is some more info that I used in a newsletter this morning:

Vastrap Fees - Krugersdorp Game Reserve

We will be hosting a Vastrap Fees together with Protea Eco Adventures on the 11th of February 2012.

Since this will be the first time we will be hosting this event together we really need your support to make this a big event and to make it an annually FEES.

The Vastrap Fees will be held at the Krugersdorp Game Reserve.

There will be displays/exhibitions from Kumho Tyres/Lombard Tyres, Protea Eco Adventures, LA Sport, Jeep Midrand, My4x4, IC Nissan, Kennis Caravans, Isuzu, Mercedes Benz, Krugerkloof Lodge, Rocky Aloe Lodge, Cycling News, SA Wheels, Monument Toyota, Mogale Country Lodge, Action Ford, Mitsubishi, Landrover Constantia, Mogale Fire Department and Mogale Blood bank/services at the Lodge inside the reserve with all the events kicking off from this point.

All profits made at this festival will be donated to the Westrand Association for people with Disabilities (WRAPD)

We asked all the exhibitors to donate a prize to auction off at the end of the day to make more profits for the WRAPD. We arranged with Derek Nelson a local auctioneer to handle the auction part of the day for us.

Douw De Boer from Bosveld stereo will also attend this day and make direct broadcastings on Bosveld stereo from our event.

Activities planned for the Vastrap Fees:

Kumho Tyres 4x4 Fun Event

This will be a fun event, with different obstacle points; with a variety of difficulties and activities to show the driving capabilities of all the 4x4 enthusiasts.

This will not be a Rum & Coke event!

There will be a marshal from each exhibitor at each obstacle point, to score you on your technicality and abilities.

Each exhibitor will get the chance to interact with the participants at their allocated obstacle points – to make this event more interactive and to give them the opportunity to promote their products.

Prizes will be given for the following: 1st , 2nd and 3rd place

Fun prizes: Windgat, mudman, sukkelgat, kwaai tannie, team en best dressed awards

The costs to participate in the Kumho 4x4 fun event will be R200 per vehicle.

For more info email yolandi@lombardtyres.com

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it or call 011 951 5900

Mountain Bike race

MTB race will be held around the 1600 hektaar reserve, this part of the Fees will be managed by Cycling News.

There are two distances on offer - 20km and 40km.

The 20km ride is predominantly on the tarred game viewing roads and is suitable for anyone who can stay upright on any form of two wheeled non-motorised transport.

The 40km is a challenge with lots of variety, but tough in the middle section.

While the 40km is a mountain bike test in the true sense of the word, the 20km is quite literally more of a game drive on two wheels and fit for the entire family.

Start at 08:00. 20km: R100. 40km:R150

For more info email events@cyclingnews.co.za or call 011 662 2494

Other Activities include

Horse riding,

Horse Car driving, and Donkey Car driving

Game drives

Petting area with lion cub’s

Food stalls by the WRAPD and Lions Club

Kiddies Face Paint

Jumping Castles for the Children

The focus of this Vastrap Fees will be on the family, the Kumho 4x4 Fun event, the promotion of the products on exhibition and also to introduce you to the “new Krugersdorp Game Reserve” under the management of Protea Eco-Adventures for Mogale City.

Entrance into the Game Reserve will be R20 for adults and R10 for Children.

For safety and medical assistance we arranged with the Mogale Fire Department to exhibit and attend the day.

The Mogale Blood Bank/Services will also attend the day and will give the public the opportunity to donate blood.

For more info on the Krugersdorp Game Reserve and accommodation contact Jannie Rykaart at 083 268 0566 or info@passport2adventure.co.za

Ok guys SERIOUSLY I need to be at Zoo Lake again at 11h00.

Will I be able to do the 40km in 2 hours?

I am a "03h30" 94.7 cyclist

You should be able to, there are a few climbs that wil slow you down for sure but I recon it's do-able.