Krugersdorp Game Reserve Mountain Bike Challenge 11 Feb

Garfield2010

Great race. The trail was fantastic, some tricky sections to catch out the unwary, but overall, a good one to do next year.

Just a note to the organizers, though. It's not reasonable to expect a bicycle negotiating a tricky ascent sharing the same track as a 4x4 negotiating a tricky descent. Also, the cars leaving through the finish area and driving up the road where the cyclists are coming down could have caused a nasty accident.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the parking was a bit of an issue but all school fees imo.

the setting is absolutely beautiful and the trails are a great workout... never knew they had climbs that intense.

also had a herd of buck ( i have no idea what kind, don't know these things) ala Buck Norris style jumping the trail in front of us just before that last huge uphill. :eek: so it was an entertaining morning.

Thanks guys for the feedback and support of our first race. I agree that parking was a hassle, and vehicles ignored signs not to access the start and finish road. We did not expect the first race to have such a high number of entries considering we only started promoting it end January. I believe we had close on 800 entries which again caught us off guard. These were indeed lessons learnt from the first race and we will improve going forward. I was a bit worried about weather knowing how treacherous some of the rocky single track sections can be when wet. Based on information I got there was only one hospital case and a few minor accidents dealt with by onsite paramedics. We took the Game Reserve over in July 2011 and being a keen MTB'er I decided to develop these trails and open the reserve to fellow riders. With Teak Place closed down we hope we can draw that market and hope we can get all you guys using our trails and enjoying the facilities. As you could see from today you can easily do 40km on one property and not have to worry about being hijacked. We have armed securty 24/7. And after your workout you can use the restaurant or make use of the onsite braai facilites and just have a blast. If you love it, tell your buddies.

"As you could see from today you can easily do 40km on one property and not have to worry about being hijacked. We have armed securty 24/7. And after your workout you can use the restaurant or make use of the onsite braai facilites and just have a blast. If you love it, tell your buddies."

I believe you also have a pool.

Braai and pool option after MTB session = heaven.

Some lessions learned from Teak place:

1. Never have a course that changes direction on different days. Number of near collisions: plenty.

2. Train your waiters and kitchen staff properly. Teak resturant was infuriating.

3. Charge a proper entrance fee. Plough some the proceeds back into development of the trail. I would suggest R50.

"I believe you also have a pool.

Braai and pool option after MTB session = heaven."

Indeed, as a matter of fact we have four swimming pools although all are in dire need of renovations and my budget only allows for this to be done in July at nearly R600,000. Anyhow we will try to keep the pool at the lodge running for as long as the weather permits a goof...

For now I think R50 is a bit steep as most tracks charge in the R30 range, although I believe we have a few more amenties and quality experiences to offer. If the trails become very popular and all our facilities are in order, we may consider a hike.

"For now I think R50 is a bit steep as most tracks charge in the R30 range"

None of my business, I know - but I just can't help myself.

Apple iPhone sells at R7000 while Nokia XYZ does not at R2000. Why> Because it is cool.

Never imitate your competitors, rather give your customers what they want. A cool track - which costs more - so you charge more.

Mountain biking is as expensive as golf, if not more so. What golf courses charge R30 a round?

Just did the race today. Awesome I must say.

Will do it again, raining or not.

Best of all was at the startup line when everyone was lining up, the rain stopped and after a few minutes the sun came out. and ja, we all know what happens if the sun comes out after raining. "Bedompig"....

Anyway, it was a lekker race......hope everybody enjoyed it as much as we did. Still need to work on my fitness levels.......

Happy cycling..

"You just had a race and 800 people did not blink to pay R150 each to ride. Regular races (Bubbas Lodge style) is another way to make it work."

Thanks mate, we will consider all these options. I believe in conservation through utilisation...

Also did the 40km today, the ride was really awesome, little bit of everything.

Was also quite disappointed with the organisation, stood really long to get race numbers, actually missed the 40km start, and I was not the only one. Water points were not too great either, was hoping to get some Bar Ones or something... At the end of the race, I was also too tired to notice the women with the medals, and she was to busy to notice me coming in, and I didn't see the table on the left with the water and Energade...

Other that that, great race, looking forward to do it again next year... hopefully you will have ironed out the kinks by then.

I did the "20K". My first MTB race and I really enjoyed it.

The route description was very misleading. I assumed this to be very easy and by the looks of other people doing the 20K they did too. The problem with this is that when we hit the first uphill with loose rocks, everyone in front jumped off their bikes and pushed on both sides of the jeep track. Same with the downhill. Makes it a bit difficult to ride past these people.

The downhill winding bends towards the 20K mark were the best part for me. The climb back up was also enjoyable.

I got just short of 25K's on my gps. Was the route long or did we take a wrong turn? If it was the route, then it was a bargain. Paid for 20kms and get almost 25kms :clap:

Looking forward to the next one

Missed the race but know the park well. Great potential on so many levels.

I would like to suggest a membership system which will generate ongoing cashflow and give members access to the park and trails. Also ,importantly, support of conservation, particularly something like Rhino conervation. Combining cycling and conservation, 2 of my top passions.

Cant wait to come ride your trails!

Edited by Doggone

Thought the race was superb! Cant wait to come back with my mates to ride there.

Is there a website? Also when I come with my mates will there be a map indicating possible routes, levels of difficulty of some trails etc

Would love to do the 20km route again just not sure I will remember it.

By the way I also got 25km on my GPS :)

Thank you again. Best race in a long timea

Was a great race. Will definitely go ride their more often now that I know what route to take. Great work Rinus

I echo everyone's sentiments - Great race but badly organised at the registration desk.

Did the 40km and really enjoyed the diversity - back next year for sure!!