The problem is NOT cyclist

Niner

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is not cyclists nor motorist, it's South African's with their "I don't give a ****" attitude and their lack of fear for the law and respect for others.

Dangle there is no fear of the law becuase it simply gets ignored,

Hell i havent worked in CPT city center for over a year, had to drive into town for the first time the other day and nearly killed at least 20 pedestrians that walk when they want how they want, while dodging taxi's and etc.

Firstly when we were kids we got educated on the rules of the road in pre-primary sub A and sub B, I doubt thats anywhere in the curriculum now. Secondly if people keep on doing the wrong thing and dont get nicked for it they will keep on doing it. And i beleive most of the masses dont know the rules of the road and how one is meant to behave.

The traffic department cannot even keep tabs at keeping taxi's form operating properly how are they going to police 10 million vehicles?

Bottom line is in this country they should take an almost militaristic stance in policing the roads before it will get better, i.e. you turn without indicating, you get locked up for reckless endagerment, not a R100 spot fine that you wont pay anyway (thats on the million to one off chance you do get fined) a demerit system on your licence, for every single offence. speeding, crossing white lines etc etc. once a couple hundered thousand people loose their licenses and are forced to make use of our brilliant public transport system, word will get out and people will be too **** scared to break the rules. Hell theres nothing quite as pleasant sitting between someone with a knife wound and another person that just shat on the seat while commuting on a metrorail train.

In America you just try and cross a street and not at an intersection .... you wouldnt dare, they will arrest you on the spot for J walking, give you a immediate $100 fine or 10 days imprisonment, so you either swipe your card and feel the pain, and if you dont have it you have your one phonecall for someone to come bail you out.

Thats the way this country should start to operate.

Niner, here it is again.

Change your way and take cycling out of the reasoning for motorists frustration. You give the driver an excuse to harbour anger towards all using a bike.

Change starts with you bud!

I keep saying this and you dont get it...even if you remove cyclist you will not improve the attitude of drivers....get it?

Dangle there is no fear of the law becuase it simply gets ignored,

Hell i havent worked in CPT city center for over a year, had to drive into town for the first time the other day and nearly killed at least 20 pedestrians that walk when they want how they want, while dodging taxi's and etc.

Firstly when we were kids we got educated on the rules of the road in pre-primary sub A and sub B, I doubt thats anywhere in the curriculum now. Secondly if people keep on doing the wrong thing and dont get nicked for it they will keep on doing it. And i beleive most of the masses dont know the rules of the road and how one is meant to behave.

The traffic department cannot even keep tabs at keeping taxi's form operating properly how are they going to police 10 million vehicles?

Bottom line is in this country they should take an almost militaristic stance in policing the roads before it will get better, i.e. you turn without indicating, you get locked up for reckless endagerment, not a R100 spot fine that you wont pay anyway (thats on the million to one off chance you do get fined) a demerit system on your licence, for every single offence. speeding, crossing white lines etc etc. once a couple hundered thousand people loose their licenses and are forced to make use of our brilliant public transport system, word will get out and people will be too **** scared to break the rules. Hell theres nothing quite as pleasant sitting between someone with a knife wound and another person that just shat on the seat while commuting on a metrorail train.

In America you just try and cross a street and not at an intersection .... you wouldnt dare, they will arrest you on the spot for J walking, give you a immediate $100 fine or 10 days imprisonment, so you either swipe your card and feel the pain, and if you dont have it you have your one phonecall for someone to come bail you out.

Thats the way this country should start to operate.

So right.....

you right, I don't get it.

Actually, I agree that motorists have sh**ty attitudes, I drive, I see it.

Now tell me what you understand from this thread?

Edited by Pain or Shine

I keep saying this and you dont get it...even if you remove cyclist you will not improve the attitude of drivers....get it?

so you saying it's better to become part of the problem, or worse, a new menace?

interesting...

I still fondly remember cruising around on my bomber age 6 going over a stop street without looking or stopping, next minute a cheeswagon pulls me over, tunes me where do i live, .... so i give them the address ........ of some mundane person on the otherside of town :) happy in my efforts to avoid the police i keep on cruising home, not 5 mins later they are back throw me and my bike in the back, get the real address and off we go.

Got home, the copper tunes my dad R80 fine, or will you deal with it.

Lets just say my dad is a money grubber and he dealt with it to this day ive never skipped a stop street or a robot on my bike.

That's not the point though, Niner, and it's something that you seem unable to grasp yourself.

You're vilifying the motoring public for endangering other road users (be they motorists, motorcyclists or cyclists) and pedestrians and breaking laws of the road, and yet you yourself are advocating, nay, JUSTIFYING why it is "okay" to contribute to the general lawlessness on the roads, in a misguided attempt to "safeguard" yourself which in effect only builds on the frustration that motorists have with cyclists.

If you want to be treated with respect, first start doing it the right way. If more people adopted your credence as opposed to reverting to the way it should be done, then we will (like we already are) start sliding down the slope towards a vastly different society where the rule of law is totally ignored... because "that's just how it is"

I still fondly remember cruising around on my bomber age 6 going over a stop street without looking or stopping, next minute a cheeswagon pulls me over, tunes me where do i live, .... so i give them the address ........ of some mundane person on the otherside of town :) happy in my efforts to avoid the police i keep on cruising home, not 5 mins later they are back throw me and my bike in the back, get the real address and off we go.

Lets just say my dad is a money grubber and he dealt with it to this day ive never skipped a stop street or a robot on my bike.

Hey Niner.. Covie shows us that we are part of the problem.. but something has to happen first before we make a change. Don't wait too long!

Edited by Pain or Shine

Absoutely. Heck, we even had a "traffic class" at pre-primary when we all went to grab stand up scooters and police bikes, and we learnt to stop at stop streets and let people cross at the crossings... and we learnt about how to behave on the roads.

Seems as if Niner missed that class. His entire life.

:lol:

I also remember being ****-scared of the cops when I was a kid on my bmx. Maybe times have changed I don't know.

Edit : Also remember the traffic stuff at pre-primary - we had little roads and plastic bikes too. Very cool.

Today I have a 14 year old daughter and it suprises me to think back that I was allowed to cycle a 12k round trip to school down the main road - at age 13 - with no helmet nogal.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

:lol:

I also remember being ****-scared of the cops when I was a kid on my bmx. Maybe times have changed I don't know.

I remember when I wanted to be a cop. Not in today's RSA though. It (like the army) used to be a vocation of worth. Now it's just, well, "wek"

Hey Niner.. Covie shows us that we are part of the problem.. but something has to happen first before we make a change. Don't wait too long!

Go back and read my posting earlier about the degeneration of a society that was in order a long time ago. Our own choice if we want it to continue or to degenerate. Trust me the choice for degeneration is horrible. I see it every day. It is not only superficial but is deep seated in the pshyche of the peoples. You do NOT want to go there. Order is there for a purpose. Chose it or junk it but live with the concequinces.

Absoutely. Heck, we even had a "traffic class" at pre-primary when we all went to grab stand up scooters and police bikes, and we learnt to stop at stop streets and let people cross at the crossings... and we learnt about how to behave on the roads.

Seems as if Niner missed that class. His entire life.

Niner, also missed the grammar & spelling class :oops: one cyclist /two cyclists ................. one motorist/two motorists. An interesting post to read, but hard work to decipher what is being said ..............................................