[Event] MTN National XCM #5 Mabalingwe Driven By NISSAN

Tim_Fair

Arrived at Mabalingwe on Friday night and was really excited for the 40km! Race was brilliantly organized in my opinion. Started in batch A next to Ryan Gibbons (that 18 year old prodigy). That kid can peddle! Stuck with the lead pack for the first 20 and then decided to ride my own race... Did a 1:47 something, guess I'm happy with that as my chain came off 3 times and always at the worst possible moment!

Had a great time, and was surprised to see Kevin and David (360Life) were my neighbours at the Village...

Why do we not use chainguides like lots of guys in Europe? What is the downside on a 2x10 for example?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a last minute sub,very happy i got to ride 40km.At one point there was a lioness 4m to my left and a thick patch of sand right in front ,where do i look !!Tricky if you rode at speed .Fell once crossing a waterpipe at an oblique angle.Realy enyoyed myself

Why do we not use chainguides like lots of guys in Europe? What is the downside on a 2x10 for example?

Would like to know more? Chain guides I think I've seen once on a fellow competitors bike. How do they work and where can I get? 2x10?

Would like to know more? Chain guides I think I've seen once on a fellow competitors bike. How do they work and where can I get? 2x10?

I think the downhill guys use it but we tend to be weight weenies. Stopping for a chain losses more time imo. Look at X-guide from MRP made for Truvativ. Availability????

Another Lion Man Marathon done & truly dusted, my 4th! That climb up & over the ridge was tough but coming back down to the finish full taps I was in my element. Kept some gas in the tank for that. Bike performed well, and I managed it in under 6 hours, no wipe outs, wrong turns. Stopped to eyeball that white lioness for a while, what an awesome creature. But didn't see much else wildlife besides pooh and pawprints.

I did find the route a bit convoluted - compared to the route on previous years much made fuller use of the reserve. My personal best was two years ago which went way out west on a big loop, almost to the extent of the reserve. Water points were a bit lacking compared to previous years imo. What happened to the worsies and the boere musik at the far north stop? Also nice to have a cold coke option and something to eat, but minor winge.

Was a lot drier that the last two years. Camped at Mbizi, pleasant stay and facilities, a great place for kids.

I did the 75k. Very well organised. I didnt see much of the views - was trying to stay rubberside down on all the descents. Had a hard fall on a 3 arrows down at about 40 - no surprise there! I thought the climb up to Kapama at about 55-59 was ridiculous, I struggled to carry there, never even considered riding it. Do the pros really ride alll of that? Coming down Vodacom hill on my way home had a complete mecanical meltdown, and had to carry my bike to my car. Climbed 1400m and did 75 km for a DNF! I WILL BE BAAAAACK!!!

I hate to say it, cos I did not see HOW you could ride it, but the leaders in the ultra came past me riding the rockiest ascent on the route like they were just having a quick training session, heck they even go around walkers who dont hear them coming... unbelievable :)

thx for that link. I feel much better after reading that- at least these guys make mistakes like we do ( falling etc.). They just do it all so much quicker...

My 1st Lionman.....wow, it was GREAT! Technical, sandy, rocky, warm, lekka climbs, hair raising descents!!! Went twice over the handlebar....1st time a girl went down in front of me and in trying to avoid her, I crashed....and then in the final 2 km's on that loose rocky stuff, I lost it and went down.....Did the 77km marathon in 4h12m. Happy with that! It was good Sani2C final prep!!

Anyone know why the results are'nt out yet?

I do not know how SpectrumSport in gonna sort out the winners time, who finished only later, due to incorrect route and a marshall putting a rubbish bin in front of the split boards.....good luck to them....maybe that's why they are taking soooooo looooong to post the results!!

My friend picked up a Garmin Edge 305 on the runway on Saturday after the race. If you lost one or know somebody who has please PM me.

Edited by Dustbin Dog

I was a last minute sub,very happy i got to ride 40km.At one point there was a lioness 4m to my left and a thick patch of sand right in front ,where do i look !!Tricky if you rode at speed .Fell once crossing a waterpipe at an oblique angle.Realy enyoyed myself

Saw the same lion and bailed over the same water pipe :) great race.

It all started out in a mail that i recieved from Deon at waterpoint.co.za, "ry ons Clarens en Mabalinqwe ?. well my reaction was not a chance as the fitness level was totally lacking, the reason for this is that as race organiser for my own event "Vori-Berg" i hardly get on the bike.

Anyway the discussion went as follows, okay i will commit to 40km, Deon no we either go big or go home. We ended up in the 75Km marathon.

Arrived saturday morning and met some of my friends, got ready, added some more slime to my wheels and we were off. Our strategy was just be out there and ensure that we finish. The route was good, the climbs were tough but hey we finsihed in 6h28 just as the final good bye's were being said.

We helped a guy get his chain out that got stuck between the casette and spokes , he had been walking for 8km and with this good deed he also was able to finish.

This was just what the body needed and we will now be looking at training more and racing as much as possible.

To Fritz, Tim, Carli and Pieter thanks for a great race although we came in long after the others we enjoyed it.

Why don't they put up the Ultra and Half Marathone in the mean time while they figure out the Marathone Results?