Hermanus cycles bike Wash at L2L

Beerboy

Did Lighthouse 2 Lighthouse this weekend and it was a great event as usual.

It's realatively cheap compared to many other stage races and the proceeds go to the Lions Club Gansbaai which is great.

At the Camping area in Agulhas there was a Hermanus Cycles guy washing bikes, he was charging R100 for a wash! or R50 if you washed it yourself!

I asked if the proceeds were going to charity and he replied yes to feed my children.

on previous years we paid R25.

I think it's disgusting that on a race where everything is geared toward charity that someone can come along and rape the Mountain bikers for R100 per wash.

i doubt he charges that at his shop, most bike shops would charge half that for a wash and lube.

Did Lighthouse 2 Lighthouse this weekend and it was a great event as usual.

It's realatively cheap compared to many other stage races and the proceeds go to the Lions Club Gansbaai which is great.

At the Camping area in Agulhas there was a Hermanus Cycles guy washing bikes, he was charging R100 for a wash! or R50 if you washed it yourself!

I asked if the proceeds were going to charity and he replied yes to feed my children.

on previous years we paid R25.

I think it's disgusting that on a race where everything is geared toward charity that someone can come along and rape the Mountain bikers for R100 per wash.

i doubt he charges that at his shop, most bike shops would charge half that for a wash and lube.

Take out the 'M"

Have you seen how they wash bikes at these events? They blast the living **** (and grease) out of every possible bearing with the meanest highest high pressure hoses known to man. You (and your bike) should be grateful you escaped serious harm at the claws of the bike wash maniaks. Just do it yourself with the aim to get muck off that will cause functional issues and worry about getting the spotless look when you get back home. Take the R100 bucks and buy random mtbikers beer in stead.

I am more than a reader than a writter, but i had to respond to this issue. At a R100 a wash and lube made this guy bussy till late.Makes you think?

Why do we always critizise a person for offering a service or taking the initiative :cursing: . I washed my bike with soap,sponge and water. i wont pay R100 though.... or 17k to ride the epic,but why slate them...its a offer,take it or leave it?

Direction boards on day 1 was badly positioned,this can improve i think :oops: ,for the first timers at least!! the beach stretch day 1 was an absolute guess,i could have done a sub 3, maybe next year!!! :whistling:

Chirp from a lady at a watering hole(baardskeerdersbos)"what took you so long we thought you guys are dead" reply "dear madam,you ever notice that there is a strong south easter blowing,pls switch it off if you have any contacts"

Edited by vulgar

I was the disgusting ass that dared to charge riders R100 for a wash and lube at Lighthouse.

I started at R50/bike but was told by a few riders that this was too cheap,it was these riders that suggested R100 per bike.

I then went on to charge R100 per bike and I only washed 72 bikes,finishing at 8:30.After which I went on to do mechanical repairs,replacing BB's cables tec without charging these riders ANY Labour for the repairs.

So if you think I was there to "Rape" MTB enthusiasts or to get rich quick,think a little further.

The Lions Club is a charitable organization,Hermanus Cycles is a business.We offered a service at a price.Your choice.You made yours BeerBoy,now let it go.

Wow,you think that you are the first sheep farmer to think of that one?

Not sure how to answer that, not being a sheep farmer and all you know.

Maybe I could ask the same sort of question of you? Do you think you're the first perlemoen "diver" to think of pulling the ring out of something?

I think hermanus cycles is about to get a cheap social media lesson here. 72 x R 100 looks like a get rich scheme to me, but the cost of exposing your true character could be much higher in the long run.

I must say, i didn't hear anybody complain when he was using his own transport to fetch water for bunches of riders along the way when they ran out? Or when he provided free backup and technical assistance to guys along the way? Thats right, PISS him of so that next year when your bike breaks you can walk home.....

I also rode the L2L over the weekend (for my sins) and have to say that Hermanus Cycles was a real asett on the road. R100 is excessive for washing a bike but I watched the amount of care that was put into every wash and feel that it could be justified. My view is if you don't wanna pay the bucks then take your own bucket along.

To all the sheep counters and penny counters that commented above, please stick to what you do best(counting sheep or counting penny's) because where would you find that a shop owner would wash bikes for ten hours without rest, give expert advise and do emergency repairs for free ????????????

Just because some people think that if they can afford a top of the range MTB that it would be self maintained ? Wrong again?????????

It is usually these sorry asses that are always looking for someone else to blame instead of keeping their mouth shut and paying for good services rendered.

When last have you been to a dentist ???????????? Oops, hope no one above is offended by that !

I am very confident to say that we were very fortunate to have the services there of someone who i think, surely is the best mechanic in the country!

Most of the other riders got attention to their bikes which i was willing to pay at least R200. So at R100 i think you got a very good deal.

Hope to see this service there next year as this race will be well attended once again !

A few years ago Cyclelab hijacked the bike wash at Sani2C and started charging riders for a facility that was supposed to be for free. This caused such a stink-up that it prompted Farmer Glen to personally intervene in the matter.

If the orginisers make you ride through sea water on a race, they should at least provide a washing bay at the finish area. Build it into the price if you must. The word I got was that many riders would have washed their own bikes at the camp site, but there was no hose / bucket to do this with. Hermanus cycles can redeem themselves by posting a copy of the R7 200 cheque or a copy of the receipt from Gansbaai Lions for this amount. Otherwise riders will think the worst.

It was also not Hermanus cycles responsibilty to sweep the route. It was the orginisers responsibility to provide sweeper and medical services.

It was a great event and if Hermanus cycles wish to prove their good intentions, I may use them on my next stop in the area, otherwise I'll go to that shop that stocks the Specialized bikes instead (Euodia Cycles?).