Setting Altitude on 725

wonduhboy

Names of cities Click on image to open in new window

[/Quote]

smileys/smiley36.gif Funny one ol chap!

Well done scotty, next question... How long can you hold your breath? smileys/smiley17.gif

Guest Big H

The Centre line of the new road in front of our offices is 78m above sea level. My S725X was calibrated in Pretoria and I got the height above sea level from my Garmin GPS map. With barometric systems regularly moving through the area we go to -72m BELOW sea level on some mornings. Those mornings are extremely difficult as going uphill under water is extremely arduous. The weight and drag of the scuba equipment also holds us back!!!!!!!!!!!.smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley4.gif

If your talking of riding behind you after your beans diet smileys/smiley11.gif, verrrry long smileys/smiley36.gif

If your talking of riding behind you after your beans diet Click on image to open in new window, verrrry long Click on image to open in new window

[/Quote]

smileys/smiley36.gif Funny one ol chap!

Now... the final question. Can you remove that lovely avatar of yourself before Monday? smileys/smiley36.gif

Buff... Whats Centurion/Midrand/Pretoria? Click on image to open in new window[/quote']

Names of cities Click on image to open in new window

What's Pretoria?

Just checking Google Earth.  Got a strange altitude for the place in the pic below:

uploads/linnega/images/2006-07-28_193226_GE.jpg

Guest Big H

You would because the blue thing with the white roof in the picture is an alien spacecraft taking off from the Durban beachfront just in front of the amphitheatre. It could be the Sharks escaping to stop being defeated in the Currie Cup again!!!!!!!!! If you go and look again at the picture on Google Erf you will see the thing is gone and it has been replaced with hordes of news reporters, TV cameras and curious onlookers.

Remember the 0.00 m level for South Africa is a benchmark on the docks in Cape Town harbour. This level is regarded as sea level and was used to triangulate and position all Trig Beacons in South Africa. Recently in an effort to ensure that the SA 0.00 and the New York 0.00 was on the same level the WGS 84 standard that sets a universal 0.000 was accepted. Not sure whether Google uses that.

I dont set mine any more. To much bottons to press. So I start it up and then I just go with the data it starts with. I only need a rout profile. Dont care about 1440 m or 1445 meters. All I care it can start on 0 m.

Guest Big H

Linnega was the altitude of 24 Feet (7.3152m) taken in the middel of the picture??? I think this is what Google does and if so it would be the high water mark during that specific day. Sea level is NEVER the same at any given time. It fluctuates with high and low tides and then also with spring and neap during the month. Stormy conditions wind and fronts passing can also have an effect. This is why the 0.00m level was adopted at the Cape town docks and sea level is a relative concept.

Interesting, the Google earth Elevation for our house is exactly the same as my GPS Reading (1494m).

My Polar 725 says 1400m but I have never calibrated it, I am only interested in relative altitude for route profiles.

Guest Big H

Remember your Garmin uses triangulation to determine elevation. The 725 uses a barometer that is dependant on barometric fluctuations.

Guest Big H

All relative because the height as 29ft or 7.3152 is related to the 0.000m (sea level) benchmark in the Alfred and Victoria basin or the WGS 84 benchmark used worldwide. Everything is NOT always what you see!!!!!!

Or you just need to find one of these on your regular ride route (This one is next to the "old town" in Zug. (The pressure altitude measuring device not the Bike)

uploads/SwissVan/images/2006-07-31_194558_DSCF0287_Medium.JPG

Close up shows the actual height above sea level in meters = 413.4 m

uploads/SwissVan/images/2006-07-31_194903_DSCF0288_Large.JPG