Wines2Whales

splat

Entries opened on Monday.

Did anyone enter? I got waitlisted.

I haven't ridden before and am not riding Sani2C this year, so hope to get an entry.

Entries opened on Monday.

Did anyone enter? I got waitlisted.

I haven't ridden before and am not riding Sani2C this year, so hope to get an entry.

Entries opened on Tuesday for those that rode W2W last year. I did it last year, entered on Tuesday and am in. Entries are open for everyone else on March 1st so if you say you haven't ridden it before, that is prob why you are wait listed.

• 5 months later...

I have my entry and am very excited.

Does anyone know what sort of distance we ride each day and how much climbing?

They have removed the route maps and profiles from the website.

• 3 months later...

The Adventure seemed to go well this past weekend.

Super excited for this weekend now!

I haven't ridden in the area at all, so don't know what to expect. It looks pretty dry judging by the recent weather and pictures.

Tyre choice? I have 2 options, Spec Fastrak or Captains. Which pair?

Or do I combine: Control on the front and Fastrak rear?

I haven't ridden in the area at all, so don't know what to expect. It looks pretty dry judging by the recent weather and pictures.

The Adventure sure went well!

You'll love it! If you're not racing for the podium, just make sure you take the time to soak up the views and savour every piece of single track. Day 1 single track is delightfully technical. Hans se Kop is a mother of a climb and I don't care how fit you are, walking/climbing up the Gantouw pass will hurt. Day 2 single track is more flowing and there is plenty of it, truly a fun day. Day 3 is deceptively tough because the big climbs are at the end of the ride. Make sure you enjoy the last 5 km of single track, it truly rocks.

About tyre choice: I used Scwalbe Racing Ralphs without issues. Most of it is dry and solid, but you'll have a fair bit of loose gravel, sand, a mudbath or two, a good few river crossings (one kneedeep) as well as a few rock gardens. It is difficult to suggest an ideal tyre, use whatever you trained with and are used to. Last I looked they forecast a cold front for the coming weekend, so, perhaps err on the side of a little extra grip on the front?

There was a lot of very dry rocky ST, I would recommend a tyre with snakeskin as a safety measure. Saw lot's of teams fixing flats, some had to return to the water points for new tyres. The winners of the Vets were on Rocket Rons, for day 3 after having grip issues with Maxis Ikons on days one and two.

I used a fastrack up front and a renegade on the rear - no problems. Just watch out for some of the corners that are quite loose.

Small knobs on the back. Just make sure the sidewall is strong. Lots of sharp stones on route and saw plenty of tyre repairs going on. Route was mainly dry with some wet patches nooks and crannies. Times should be fast for the Race.

That sign gave me a good laugh until I saw what lay beyond!

The entire event was well organised but it is difficult to describe to my fellow upcountry mtb brethren the actual magnificence of the singketrack. Many months in preparation and definitely very impressive.

Well done to the organisers on an excellent event!

Im' jealous of the guys riding the race this coming weekend. . .

That was 1 lekka ride. 1st day i had a sense of humour failure in 40degrees hauling my bike up a mountain... but day 2 was really nice and day 3 i just felt strong. Was actually looking forward to a day 4 after we crossed the finish.

I had no issues with tyres ect, Crossmark on the back and Monorail on the front. Some muddy sections and river crossings on day 3 but a quick re-lube and the water station did the trick. Weather predictions for the Race is actually very bearable. You should have an awesome time.

The "Big Dipper" was a bit disappointing (i was expecting the ramp to almost cross most of the lake rather than riding along side it) but Boomslang and Pofadder was great! They create quite a hype for Pofadder, but i would def suggest you do it. Its really not that bad. Day 3 had a surprising lot of singletrack as well.

Oh yes, the organisers deserve a mention, really well done! Accomodation , food, showers, drinks , massages, medics ect ect was really well done. Everyone very friendly and ready to assist. Ps, dont stand in the long queu for bike wash where they charge R50, rather go just next door where they pressure hose your bike for you and you can do a quick lube yourself. Theres also many techies around to solve any bike issues.

Edited by CJVDM