Why do we cycle with traffic, but run against the flow of traffic.

JasonDunwiel

I recently started cycling, been running a couple of years. It feels safe running against the flow of traffic, I can jump out of the way when a car/taxi/truck comes close. When cycling, I feel riding with the flow leaves me at the mercy of the driver, I dont see him/her from behind, hear them and hope they see me and drive past me. At least if I were riding against the flow, and someone is going to hit me, I will see it comming and take appropriate action. I have never tried going against the flow on my bike, please explain why we never do?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I do follow the law when riding just did not think it also states that when cycling we should also go the same way as traffic, wonder if I went the other way how many fines I will get. Thank for the answer, havnt thought of the law :)

Edited by JasonDunwiel

I recently started cycling, been running a couple of years. It feels safe running against the flow of traffic, I can jump out of the way when a car/taxi/truck comes close. When cycling, I feel riding with the flow leaves me at the mercy of the driver, I dont see him/her from behind, hear them and hope they see me and drive past me. At least if I were riding against the flow, and someone is going to hit me, I will see it comming and take appropriate action. I have never tried going against the flow on my bike, please explain why we never do?

I also run against the flow like most runners and feel very comfortable doing so, but I ride with the flow. I think the reason in running is simply speed, and of course, we are not considered moving vehicles.

As a runner we are very slow really, so we actually have ample time to jump out of the way and doing so is not really dangerous or negligent, we get our shoes muddy at worst, but in 20 secs we can hop back on the road and continue.

Cycling is a lot faster, so moving with the flow makes sense and as far as I know bicycles are considered moving vehicles, so they need to ride with the flow of traffic.

To be honest I also think motorists expect to see you on the left, so its safer as well, but riding against the flow may mean they are not looking for you, and the speed differences in both directions makes it quite unsafe to jump off and on the road.

I also think you may have some issues with your insurer if you are knocked over riding against the flow, they could consider it negligent behavior and refuse to compensate you.

Thanks, grumpy and heman. Makes more sense now, I just always thought that worst case if I have to go offroad will be puncture or sore fall, at least not a bump by vehicle.

i've see many commuters riding their bicycles in the opposite direction to the traffic on beyers naude. personaly i ride with the flow and run against. a pair of eyes at the back of my head would be great :ph34r:

Somewhere in the deep dark recesses of our beloved country, there are still people teaching children that it's safer to ride your bicycle against the flow of traffic.

If a motorist is suddenly confronted by a group of school children closing in on the wrong side of the road, what does he or she do?

Swerve into the oncoming vehicles (some of which may be bicycles) ?

Stay on course and take out the cyclists who by now have swerved all over the road?

Swerve left and take out cyclists who have by now left the road?

As a driver it's no-hoper, for a cyclist it's suicidal.

Bicycles are vehicles, they have rights and responsibilities, one of which is to drive like a (responsible) vehicle.

Think I will get one of those small mirors, will get lot of flack for it from my riding buddies, but will feel safer at least. Will stay on the right side, at least untill someone can figure out what will become of all the red rear flashers if we change direction.

Think I will get one of those small mirors, will get lot of flack for it from my riding buddies, but will feel safer at least. Will stay on the right side, at least untill someone can figure out what will become of all the red rear flashers if we change direction.

You mean, correct side? LOL

You mean, correct side? LOL

oops...

Was meaning correct side:) ha ha ha

My Afrikaans kom soms in die pad wanneer ek iets in Engels probeer se. Sal aan die (regte, nie REGTER) kant van die pad bly.

A bicycle is defined in the Road Traffic Act as a pedal cycle and is defined as a vehicle under the act and are governed by the act. So bicycles have to obey all the regulations of the act - the primary one being "keep left". So as a vehicle, bicycles must act as a vehicle. Riding contraflow is an offense just as driving a motor vehicle contraflow is.

Runners are not allowed on public roads. They are expected to keep to the pavements like all pedestrians, so the direction of their travel is not determined by the act. However, many runners break the law by running on a public road, which is in itself and offense (it's called "jaywalking"), but the direction in which they break the law is of no consequence. Since they are not a vehicle, they are not expected to keep left.

I suppose the reason many runners run into oncoming traffic is that they want to see the car that hits them.

And if you think cyclists are stupid on the road, runners often are a lot worse.

Disclaimer:

I am a cyclist and think cyclists who ride into oncoming traffic are morons. I also run and think that runners who hog the road as if it belongs to them are also morons.

Edited by jmaccelari

A bicycle is defined in the Road Traffic Act as a pedal cycle and is defined as a vehicle under the act and are governed by the act. So bicycles have to obey all the regulations of the act - the primary one being "keep left". So as a vehicle, bicycles must act as a vehicle. Riding contraflow is an offense just as driving a motor vehicle contraflow is.

Runners are not allowed on public roads. They are expected to keep to the pavements like all pedestrians, so the direction of their travel is not determined by the act. However, many runners break the law by running on a public road, which is in itself and offense (it's called "jaywalking"), but the direction in which they break the law is of no consequence. Since they are not a vehicle, they are not expected to keep left.

I suppose the reason many runners run into oncoming traffic is that they want to see the car that hits them.

And if you think cyclists are stupid on the road, runners often are a lot worse.

Disclaimer:

I am a cyclist and think cyclists who ride into oncoming traffic are morons. I also run and think that runners who hog the road as if it belongs to them are also morons.

All very true.... but as a runner (and this goes for pedestrians too) it is very difficult to navigate most residential pavements as people plants and places all kinds on 'obstacles' ; flowers / shrubs /

pretty rocks'. So we run on the 'wrong' side of the road. Not legaly correct, but that is the way it goes...

All very true.... but as a runner (and this goes for pedestrians too) it is very difficult to navigate most residential pavements as people plants and places all kinds on 'obstacles' ; flowers / shrubs /

pretty rocks'. So we run on the 'wrong' side of the road. Not legaly correct, but that is the way it goes...

Indeed, actually where I run there is NO pavement, so I cant even see how it applies, I guess I could run in the 2 foot tall thorn bushes alongside the road but that has never appealed to me much.