Cyclist attacked at Fountains

pezulu

Just received word that a young cyclist (female) was attacked while riding at Fountains with her family.

Apparently she was thown with a stone/rock, which struck her on her arm.

Her parents have taken her to hospital to have the arm x-rayed.

When her father gave chase the attackers managed to flee through the fence.

I am not certain where exactly in Fountains the attack occured, so they could have gone through the massive hole in the fence near the Gautrain bridge, or across the R21 highway.

Got an update:

Some muscle damage in the arm as a result of the impact of the rock on her arm. Nothing appears broken.

Damn - thats terrible news!

That section is one of my favourites!

Do you know how many were riding together?

As far as I can tell it was a family of 4.

Father was about 100m infront of the rest of the family, when the attackers jumped out of the bush and went for the 3 women (mother and 2 daughters) riding behind.

I have heard of quite a few incidents where people are found washing and bathing in the stream running through Fountains.

There is a huge hole in the fence in the bottom corner close to the Gautrain service road where anyone that wants to, can gain access to Fountains.

That bent over fence section really worries me.

Nothing weird to see bank cards and other stuff usually found in handbags laying around fountains.

Has been like that for a long time.

Saw with the XCO race they fixed it to a certain extent.

Such a good training place, but make a point of it to be there at peak times.

At least GK is allot safer, not that it hasn't had it's fair share of incidents...

Fountains has always been a dodgy area even before the train . Haven't heard of an incident like above at Groenkloof yet .

Fountains has always been a dodgy area even before the train . Haven't heard of an incident like above at Groenkloof yet .

That's what I was thinking.

Did this happen yesterday?! man that's terrible!

...on saturday I was solo riding Fountains (between 9 - 11:30am), and it was pretty deserted. I can see how these sort of skebengos could try their luck when it's quiet like that.

that's bad news, I love fountains, I was riding there alone in December and met up with one of the guys that maintain the place walking along the track, asked him about the fence, he says the gautrain is responsible for repairing the fence cause they damaged it. they have guards sitting on there bums by both entrances checking up on us, instead of putting a guard or two where its needed. I also remember quite a while back the cops use to do random patrols in that area, haven't seen there for quite a while now. hope they dont let it get out of control :(

That's what I was thinking.

Sorry about the young girl.

The only incident I know of that happend recently was that a 26er beat a 29er - apart from that hopefully Groenies is still safe.

that's bad news, I love fountains, I was riding there alone in December and met up with one of the guys that maintain the place walking along the track, asked him about the fence, he says the gautrain is responsible for repairing the fence cause they damaged it. they have guards sitting on there bums by both entrances checking up on us, instead of putting a guard or two where its needed. I also remember quite a while back the cops use to do random patrols in that area, haven't seen there for quite a while now. hope they dont let it get out of control :(

Maybe a call to the cops is needed to get the patrols back out.

During the race at Voortrekker on Saturday I saw the contents of someones bag in the track near the highway side. Even a passport lying there. Second lap it was gone. Maybe someone riding picked it up?

Maybe a call to the cops is needed to get the patrols back out.

Or open a Chicken Licken outlet nearby!!

This is not good news!! Pezulu have you contacted Mr. Boshoff? Maybe some pressure will get that fence fixed!!

Or open a Chicken Licken outlet nearby!!

Yep, the Americans have Dunkin Doughnuts and we have Chicken Licken...