Both legs the same strength? (power + endurance)

What is the easiest way to test if both your legs are of an even strenght? (I dont have a power meter etc)

Is there a simple way without a bicycle to check?

My one leg is thicker than the other (has always been since a major op 8 years ago).

The one leg also always starts to cramp before the other.... is it in weaker or is it stronger and overworked?

Edited by Garfield2010

Good question something i've tried before but not sure how "scientific" the result is

Go to the gym

Find a lying leg press machine

Select a weight that you can do 20 reps with one leg at a time without to much strain

See how many reps you can do ONE leg at a time until you feel you cannot do anymore

Note how many you did and the "sensations" as you progress from start to finish i.e. when and which muscles get tired first

OR

Similar principal with bike on IDT

Cycle with one leg at a time (in a easy gear and low resistance) the other leg clipped out and resting on something at +/- BB height close to the cranks

Note when and what gets tired / fails first.

Hopefuly the end result will be obvious, or even more hopefuly they will both be the same...unlikely

Never

One side is almost always stronger than the other, unless you are ambidextrous with your feet and cn kick a ball equally as far with you left and right foot.

Humans are full of imbalances and contrary to popular belief, these imbalances are natural. Our bodies are made of of two differing halves which result in the imbalance. No matter how much effort you put into it, you will never correct that.

Never

One side is almost always stronger than the other, unless you are ambidextrous with your feet and cn kick a ball equally as far with you left and right foot.

Humans are full of imbalances and contrary to popular belief, these imbalances are natural. Our bodies are made of of two differing halves which result in the imbalance. No matter how much effort you put into it, you will never correct that.

Apprently true to some extent, but it is possible to correct larger than normal descrepencies / imbalances in strength.

Probably need to consult an expert (Biokineticist?) to evaluate what is normal and what should be corrected.

What is the easiest way to test if both your legs are of an even strenght? (I dont have a power meter etc)

My one leg is thicker than the other (has always been since a major op 8 years ago).

The one leg also always starts to cramp before the other.... is it in weaker or is it stronger and overworked?

It doesnt matter whether one leg is stronger than the other, the solution is to get an even output

I went for a BG fit setup and you could hear on the spinner how uneven my output was the solution was to set my cleats up to give a smooth even output( one is setback further ) and it really has worked, no more back pain on the one side and my hips have stayed aligned( Chiro) it really has made a difference to me

often the output is due to one leg being slightly longer and then hips go out of alignment and the problems just multiplies all the way up and down

Not saying thats it but it is quite common to get uneven output.

Off season is the best time to balance / correct this.

Avoid any 'funny' exercises during racing season.

Like curls, like single leg pedaling.

I not sure if anyones legs are the same strength. Im not sure it matters anyway unless its serious. Minor things probably wont make a difference.

Apprently true to some extent, but it is possible to correct larger than normal descrepencies / imbalances in strength.

Probably need to consult an expert (Biokineticist?) to evaluate what is normal and what should be corrected.

Agreed. However 100% balance is virtually impossible

I not sure if anyones legs are the same strength. Im not sure it matters anyway unless its serious. Minor things probably wont make a difference.

Forget strength, most peoples legs aren't even the same length. We talking millimeters but still

Try the bunkie tests as developed by Benita De Witt

http://www.lynosport...he-bunkie-test/

Easiest, cheapest and very good indication of weak spots.

If you decide on therapy, on the site there is a list of biokineticists & physios who can help with testing, fascia release and exercises.

If you are in the Jhb area, contact Mari or Amy at the gym @ Cyclelab. Both are very good!

Edit: I'm not a therapist, nor involved with the Lyno method. Have been on the 'receiving' end of Lyno method, and it really works to get the body in balance!

Edit2: The leg cramping is the weaker as it has to work harder to compensate for the other?

Edited by HEman

I played rugby for 14 years, and was goal kicker for 10 of those years. All the kicking practice made my right leg way stronger than the left.

After realising the dominant right leg I went to Physio and she gave me excercises that focus on each leg individually. My problem is a thing of the past.

Make an appointment with your physiotherapist, they will give you excercises tailored to your needs.

If one leg is dominant you run a risk of getting [patello fumeral syndrome]*

*spelling?

Garfield if you wonder about Benita, and the method she developed to get a body in balance, have a look at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia..../Benita_de_Witt

Clients

Google for demonstrations of the bunkie tests if unsure. I use a kiddie plastic chair as my personal bunkie at home... no need for anything fancy really

The beauty of Lynotherapy is that you get to know your OWN body after a while, and can do the tests and treatment self at home. Only need to go back to the bio/physio once you run into a bigger hassle.

Note: I need to stop now, else I sound like a disciple (which I think I might be)

This is what Conrad Stoltz had so say in 2006 (from link in TriFuel Wikipedia page):

Influential people:

Benita de Witt's "way" of physio. (Based on applied kinesiology) Apart from crashes and falls, I haven't had any injuries in over 6 years. Soon Yellow Pages shoe inserts and stabilizing "bankie" exercises will be common practice.

Edited by HEman

I had a similar issue with one leg cramping well before the other and feeling like it was doing all the work. I went for a BG Fit setup and the changes there sorted out the problem.