26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

After not riding any form of bicycle for the last 9 months and picking up 12kg's in the process i was convinced by Dick to "get back into it" with the Attakwas. The perfect way to kick-start your training... How difficult could it be? I have a 29er after all, been riding one for ages. :thumbup:

Oh my hat, i almost died. How could it be? I was on big wheels, they make everything easier apparently. I'm not sure if they rolled better over obstacles while i pushed my bike up every big climb. Next time i'll ask a fellow bike pusher with a 26" bike if they want to swop bikes. We can then compare notes at the top of the climb. I was to broken to even think about that, opportunity missed! :cursing:

Do they go better down hill? Not once was i passed by anyone on a downhill, and i certainly passed loads of people. They were on 26" dualies/hard tails, 29" dualies/hard tails. Personally i think that the majority of those just don't know how to ride down a technical (or non-technical for that matter) decent.

I was supposed to be fresher at finish, less broken, less everything... and faster. I demand a refund of the money i spent on my bike!

It's all about the bike, not. :excl:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they go better down hill?

I will stick my neck out and say, the bike doesn't go faster but it gives you confidence and better ability and this in itself makes you faster downhill.

I rode every single downhill at the Atta, it might sound like an every day ritual , for me on the rigid fork, the 29'er wheel made a massive difference, I could roll over stuff which stopped others dead in their tracks.

I will stick my neck out and say, the bike doesn't go faster but it gives you confidence and better ability and this in itself makes you faster downhill.

I rode every single downhill at the Atta, it might sound like an every day ritual , for me on the rigid fork, the 29'er wheel made a massive difference, I could roll over stuff which stopped others dead in their tracks.

I agree with you 110%. Still think that technical ability has a big part to play.

I agree with you 110%. Still think that technical ability has a big part to play.

A healthy dose of bravery will make up for any technical short commings you might have ;)

What are you agreeing with, the fallacy that Specialized are driving the 29'er revolution ?

Gary Fisher drove the concept 10 years ago.

I will not dispute the fact that these companies are marketing it well and trying to get the consumer to part with their monies.

On the 29'er subject, it's been around for yonks, the wheel size that is.

It's a 700 c rim , the reason it took so long for it to take off was that we never had tyres and tubes at our disposal.

I bought myself a Cannondale F 3000 around 8 years back, the bike came with two wheelsets, one 26 " set and a 700 c set for road riding, it's not a new concept.

Pointless trying to point fingers at Specialized when the problem lies elsewhere.

Who do I blame, firstly the pro's who wouldn't accept the wheel size, the usual excuses such as weight, sluggish handling, poor on climbs etc.etc.etc.......

Secondly the gullible riders who follow the pro's blindly like horny sheep.

"Whatever the pro's do I have to do" mentality is actually quite nauseating.

Both wheel sizes have their place in this world, people just caught a wake up too late now they all want to jump at the 29'er. "revolution"

My only statement I will make today and it's just my opinion.

The 26" hardtail will die a slow death.

Edit:

Yes, I am a sissie.

I think there will always be room for the 26" hardtail.

Speaking of sissies ....

on a flat farm road in the middle of nowhere, you have both a dualie 26'er and a 29'er, which bike is the better to ride? and which is the faster to ride with minimal effort?

Or the more important question for you professional sissies, will a 29'er make a difference (either positive or negative) on a ride like the freedom challenge ?

I never thought I would ride a hardtail again after riding 5 inch travel bikes over the last three years or so. Finally my curiosity got the better of me, and I built up a 29er hardtail from bits and pieces I had along with a new fork and wheels.

I have only ridden it twice, including Rietvlei on Sunday. I didn't feeel any slower, but what I can tell you, is that it is tons of fun! I had forgotten how it feels to accelerate when you pedal without a cushion beneath you. A hardtail seems to hone your skills a lot more, but with the big wheels you seem to have the confidence to ride over the obstacles. I am over 90kg and thought my body would take a beating, but I felt fine afterwards.

I am lucky enough to have both types of bike and think that there is terrain more suited to one or another for sure. I won't go back to a 26 inch hardtail again. What I am chuffed about though is that it has brought back a huge fun element to my riding again and the fact that my son has now shown an interest in riding with me, as we have an additional MTB available.

On what basis ?

On the basis that not everyone will want to ride a 29er. The same basis that each person is different, not the most scientific of explanations.

On the basis that not everyone will want to ride a 29er. The same basis that each person is different, not the most scientific of explanations.

You specifically said 26 " hardtail, why would people want to ride a 26 " hardtail, there has to be a reason.

As v-brakes, they will slowly but surely fall on the wayside, just my opinion.

You specifically said 26 " hardtail, why would people want to ride a 26 " hardtail, there has to be a reason.

On the reason my wife looked at a 29ers wheels and was intimidated by the size. So went with old faithful. Only time will tell really :unsure:

Cannot agree more. Everything will eventually reach it's shelve life. The dualie started it for the 26" HT, the 29er is just pushing it more and the 29er FS even more.

Just because everyone is always "fighting" about these type of item, I will stirr the pot. :lol:

It will always remain personal choice. Chicken or Beef?

What I just don't like is a vegetarian commenting on the quality of steak. I see a lot of 26" believers that are experts on 29ers. By stirring, you identify those in that category.

Will be interesting to see what is used by all the pro's in the world cup/championships this year. Burry was one of the few that tried last year but for whatever reasons didn't quite work out for him.

Edited by kosmonooit

Cannot agree more. Everything will eventually reach it's shelve life. The dualie started it for the 26" HT, the 29er is just pushing it more and the 29er FS even more.

Just because everyone is always "fighting" about these type of item, I will stirr the pot. :lol:

It will always remain personal choice. Chicken or Beef?

What I just don't like is a vegetarian commenting on the quality of steak. I see a lot of 26" believers that are experts on 29ers. By stirring, you identify those in that category.

So you trying to tell me that about the 26" FS over a 29er FS

Will be interesting to see what is used by all the pro's in the world cup/championships this year. Burry was one of the few that tried last year but for whatever reasons didn't quite work out for him.

Nope, boring. If it was possible, it would have been brilliant to see how many of the hubbers on this post and various other post being clever about 29ers, actualy riding it within the next two years.

if the 29er is not the better bike to go with, why are all the top pro teams in the 2011 ABSA Cape Epic riding 29ers? do you still think that every brand out there is trying to sell 29ers so much that they force their riders to ride 29ers in arguably one of the worlds toughest races?