Chapmans Peak Toll Plaza

Red Zone

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just can't believe that tintswalo atlantic which is right on this doorstep have got no heat from these moron objectors.

would love to know how they got their deal.

They should just build a Tunnel through the mountain and get over with it.

Dont you mean UNDER it? :w00t:

23 FEBRUARY 2012

MINISTER CARLISLE RELEASES ‘REAL-TO-LIFE’ 3D CHAPMAN’S PEAK DRAWINGS OF CONTROL BUILDING

‘Luxury office block? Modest Control Building?’ Minister asks public to decide for themselves.

Release - immediate

Robin Carlisle, the Minister of Transport and Public Works in the Western Cape has released 3D drawings [second drawing, from the Noordhoek side, attached] of the modest control building planned for the disused quarry on Chapman’s Peak.

The building will be used to comprehensively manage Chapman’s Peak, including:

• Tolling

• safeguarding the cash involved

• removing alien vegetation within the road reserve

• real-time safety monitoring of CCTV cameras installed at intervals on the pass

• real-time security monitoring of CCTV at the control building

• weather station monitoring, fed in from two weather stations on the pass, which can inform urgent road closures

• and general maintenance and safety inspections of the catch nets, half tunnel, road, scenic lookouts and picnic facilities.

‘We commissioned these real-to-life 3D modelling drawings of the planned Chapman’s Peak tolling operation so that we could see for ourselves exactly what this building will look like,’ Minister Carlisle said.

‘Contrary to previous artists’ impressions, this one includes colour, perspective and the surrounding scenery.

‘We are making these drawings public because they provide an opportunity for people to make up their own minds about what is being built, as opposed to the “luxury concrete monstrosity” depicted in certain media,’ said Minister Carlisle.

‘The building was designed to be functional and efficient and as unobtrusive as possible, while providing dignified and secure working conditions for staff.

‘It will also replace the current unsafe and uncomfortable eyesore of containers lumped on top of each other,’ Minister Carlisle said.

Enquiries:

Steven Otter

084 233 3811

post-1512-0-43997100-1330061124.jpg

post-1512-0-28262700-1330061139.jpg

Now that there is an comparison, you guys can decide for yourselve which "building" looks better, and adds or detracts from Chappies. I, for one, think the proper brick and mortar building is the way to go.

Now that there is an comparison, you guys can decide for yourselve which "building" looks better, and adds or detracts from Chappies. I, for one, think the proper brick and mortar building is the way to go.

I agree with you on this one Wannabe, I think it looks waaaaay better!!! I like the fact that the Minister has now decided that the public can decide what is best. Wonder if there will be a voting line for this :D

I agree with you on this one Wannabe, I think it looks waaaaay better!!! I like the fact that the Minister has now decided that the public can decide what is best. Wonder if there will be a voting line for this :D

Yeah, you can't really fault them on the upgrade. It does look much better. However, if I preferred the other option, its not like the minister would have given the option to retain the original. :D

The minister might say

I need to drop a few kgs for my next race...

My hunger strike starts at 09h00 today.

Only water feintly mixed with Oros.

I need to drop a few kgs for my next race...

My hunger strike starts at 09h00 today.

Only water feintly mixed with Oros.

Please go to Specsavers before you start, would appear as if something is seriously wrong with thy eyesight :eek:

I'm with the city on this one. Was at a breakfast brief with Zille where one of the q's where about this building. She explained it as in Reg Lizard's post above. Can't argue with that especially seeing that it will be build in a spot that's not so easy on the eyes and will add to Chappies rather than distract from it.

It will be great for all of us that they will have medical facilities there as well as a command center in case anything happens on the pass or on the mountain.

It will be great for all of us that they will have medical facilities there as well as a command center in case anything happens on the pass or on the mountain.

That is a great suggestion.

That is a great suggestion.

It will be so according to Tannie Zille. Also not mentioned above is a small canteen / eating area + toilets for the staff who works up there.

Please go to Specsavers before you start, would appear as if something is seriously wrong with thy eyesight :eek:

Just yanking some derailleur...

:blush:

• 6 months later...

was on 50/50 last night. Hardly a balanced report, but was specifically looking at the environmental issues. Don't really know what overcrowding and service delivery in Imizamo Yethu has got to do with it, apart from the fact that it's two issues in the same valley. Why not bring fishing quotas and unemployment in Hangberg into it too?

The hunger strike crusader got interviewed, still jumping up and down like a monkey on heat with nothing concrete to say.

Edited by The Dictator