Chapmans Peak Toll Plaza

Red Zone

. Don't really know what overcrowding and service delivery in Imizamo Yethu has got to do with it, apart from the fact that it's two issues in the same valley. .

It sounded like those residents are unhappy with the city giving away land to the contractor and the residents still stay on top of each other.

Sounded like the contractor milked the city to the extreme while 'doing maintenance' on chappies, whilst nobody had access to the road to see if they are really doing the work. Contractor made more money having the road closed than open. Imagine what infrastructure the R57m could've set in place instead of paying inflated projected rates.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you listened carefully, this all happened in the "previous Provincial Governments" time. This whole deal is suspicious.The DA inherited this problem, and is trying to make the best of the situation.

In my humble opinion, those new buildings will actually add value to Chappies, as it is an unused quarry (was an eysore) that is used to house the buildings, and it will look a damn sight better than those hideous green Shipping containers they are presently using.

As far as those disgruntled residents go, where did they come from, is it a formal developement where they are presently staying, did they in any way pay for the land they are occupying (can they show "card and transport") do they pay rates and taxes, do they pay for the current services (bad as it may be at present), etc etc. Until they contribute, (like the rest of us) they have no claim on any kind of service.

Sadly it'll keep regular visitors away from the drive when we visit Cape town at R66 a trip.

Stupid contractor who compares the cable car station to what they're building now.

If it weren't for the toll, the containers/offices would not have been necessary. But yeah, city's probably trying to make the best of the situation they're already in.

I heard an interview with Helen a few months ago and she touched on the subject. She said that Chappies is the most expensive 10km of road in the country and is more of a luxury road than a necessary route for transportation. As such she said additional funds neede to be raised to keep up the maintaince ect. mhmmm think ill go ride chappies after work :thumbup:

A legacy of the former Minister, Mr Marius Fransman the whole deal :eek:

If you listened carefully, this all happened in the "previous Provincial Governments" time. This whole deal is suspicious.The DA inherited this problem, and is trying to make the best of the situation.

In my humble opinion, those new buildings will actually add value to Chappies, as it is an unused quarry (was an eysore) that is used to house the buildings, and it will look a damn sight better than those hideous green Shipping containers they are presently using.

As far as those disgruntled residents go, where did they come from, is it a formal developement where they are presently staying, did they in any way pay for the land they are occupying (can they show "card and transport") do they pay rates and taxes, do they pay for the current services (bad as it may be at present), etc etc. Until they contribute, (like the rest of us) they have no claim on any kind of service.

Sadly it'll keep regular visitors away from the drive when we visit Cape town at R66 a trip.

Stupid contractor who compares the cable car station to what they're building now.

If it weren't for the toll, the containers/offices would not have been necessary. But yeah, city's probably trying to make the best of the situation they're already in.

Interesting to see your points, just shows how skewed the bias is in public perception/the insert on the matter is. The toll is necessary to pay for the road, can't leave it up to all taxpayers to foot the bill so the roadusers need to chip in.

The 'piece of land' is tiny, it's an old quarry, BUT (since 1999) is now on TMNP land. So it's a hot potato, but it's not really such a big deal.

The IY residents want land, but this would only house about 3 families - hardly like they're giving farms away. The IY overcrowding issue is a totally separate problem too, if it's so bad then why do they keep on coming in?

The protestors don't want them to build on this beloved World Heritage Site(which wasn't the status when they started the process) - hence the reference to the cable way. All these people who are up in arms over their 'mountain', should actually visit it every now and then and see that it has plenty of justified development where required.

You can actually walk down from the toll plaza to this very larney lodge, also built on the self same heritage site

http://www.tintswalo.com/atlantic/wp-content/plugins/widgetkit/cache/gallery/865/11-7e84b05cbc.jpg

http://www.tintswalo.com/atlantic/wp-content/plugins/widgetkit/cache/gallery/865/18-47c6d84089.jpg

I think a fair amount of the flak being collected is about the 57 bar price tag. Considering the immense amounts already embezzled from spent on the project, how do they manage to justify that amount of cash on what is essentially a small house?

It's a toll road, and sure, they need the infrastructure, but I'm pretty sure it could have been accomplished for far less of the taxpayers' coin.

I heard an interview with Helen a few months ago and she touched on the subject. She said that Chappies is the most expensive 10km of road in the country and is more of a luxury road than a necessary route for transportation. As such she said additional funds neede to be raised to keep up the maintaince ect. mhmmm think ill go ride chappies after work :thumbup:

I dont see the point of using that road for anything other than going from Houtbay to Noordhoek. It is a bit of a luxury and surely anyone going up there is going for the view. So charge the tour operators and tourists for using the road. I need the whole roadway anyway for descending so the less cars the better.

I dont see the point of using that road for anything other than going from Houtbay to Noordhoek. It is a bit of a luxury and surely anyone going up there is going for the view. So charge the tour operators and tourists for using the road. I need the whole roadway anyway for descending so the less cars the better.

Chappies is hardly that twisty - if you need the whole road to descend it, you need to learn how to ride a bike.

Chappies is hardly that twisty - if you need the whole road to descend it, you need to learn how to ride a bike.

I can ride a bike just fine, it was meant to be sarcastic.