Sabie 75km Marathon

jake the snake

Anyone knows what the temperature and humidity was?

Was tough but will do it anytime again!

Watertables....skip the water beer refreshes better :clap:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive done the Sabie every year for the past 6 years, best race in my dairy, this year was the first time it didnt go... :mellow:

seems someone up threre likes me that i coulnt go this year... :thumbup: lets see how it looks next year!

mmm, this was about as tough as my first crater cruise when i was not fit at all. singletrack took your mind off the pain and the waterpoints rocked, but I dont really wanna suffer like that again...hope they bring it back down a few notches next year :)

Edited by Purnjap

Just for some energy usage comparisons: my Polar says 5371 kcal. Barberton was 3891. 94.7 was 2254.

Thanks to the guys from mountain rescue that saved me from a 7km walk back to the finish!

One single truth: You cannot sit on a sloping top tube while you are cramping.... :cursing:

First, I want to agree with all the posts. It was hard. Very very hard. I have done 3 Sabie’s and this one was the hardest of them all.

I do however kind of like the fact that it was that tough. I think Sabie is one of those races where you go to suffer. You know that it going to be hard and you could feel the tension at the start. I think Sabie is the one race that I go to every year and see if I can tame the beast. It puts me in a spot where every race for the remainder of the year feels easy.

All that said, I remember after 30km of climbing I thought to myself: Still bloody 45km to go! What the hell! I saw a lot of people cramping up (including me).

The route was brutal. The water points brilliant (especially the 3rd one). Markers spot on and those cool stream/water crossings saved my life. Taking a dip was the best part of my whole day.

I did the 40km with my wife the next day as well and I saw some people suffer there as well. Some of those 40km riders really puts in a lot of effort and I congratulate each and every finisher.

If you have done Sabie, you can suffer.

I got an average of 31C, max 38, yes it was also very humid, saw a lot broken peeps along the way.

Anyone else fill up with water from one of those mountain streams in the sticky uphill single track through that indigenous forest? that was my salvation!

The route reminded me a bit of the Nissan Van Gaalens - ie take no prisoners! Seriously technical downhills. long hard unrelenting climbs, no mercy or letup, but for me its all about finishing, not fussed about the time although ongelooflik that the route was done in under four hours by the winner. And the ultra guys did another 1000m of climbing down in the valley.

But really its worth the mission of the 900km round trip, accommodation for Friday night, we are blessed to have mountains like these to ride on, and the organisation is tops.

Eish, bad day on the bike. Punctures, heat and sand in my vagina. After 8 hours and 93km into the ultra I crawled into a shady gutter and decided to fight another day. Yesterday's 40km was fine only cos I knew what was coming....but yissie I need to train.

I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one who suffered!!! 7h45 on the bike for the Marathon for me! Hardest thing I've ever done!

But kind of proud that I finished it and went back for Day 2 - 45km... Rode it in a group and just had fun... desperately needed that after the sense of humour failure of Saturday!!

ahg, the second last(i think) water point alone made it worth the effort :)

Haha...... Potatos and good scenery

Eish, bad day on the bike. Punctures, heat and sand in my vagina. After 8 hours and 93km into the ultra I crawled into a shady gutter and decided to fight another day. Yesterday's 40km was fine only cos I knew what was coming....but yissie I need to train.

I think you and I rode together up Mamba talking about the mushroom clouds speeding passed. Must say that didnt make me feel any better when I called it a day after the 75. Was broken and too thankful to see that Spur shoppy to head back out.

Well done for pushing on.

Rode the 45 with Barbie and the gang yest for funsies, needed to put the joy back into it after that brutal day. Had a fun day on the bike!

Too many people finishing, they should make it even tougher, next thing people are going to want tar roads & ski lifts to get to the top ;-). Seriously, if you go to Sabie what do you expect other than long big climbs, warm temperatures and long days in the saddle. Embrace it and earn the bragging rights! Well done to everyone that finished ... now go and brag to your friends!

I've done a few Sabie X's and a couple of Sabie classics. I knew what to expect (or so I thought). It was by far the hardest route I have ever ridden at Sabie. But it also by far the best route I have ever ridden. Well done to the race organisers for putting on an amazing route.

I though the 75km would be easier than last year without the sawmill climb. Boy I was wrong, way harder. Even the 40km on Sunday was tough. That was no easy 40km route by any means. I'm glad I did both days, well worth the drive from JHB. Only complaint, they need to add way more of that steep single track. Man that was fun.

I got an average of 31C, max 38, yes it was also very humid, saw a lot broken peeps along the way.

Got an ave of 37C, max 45. (mounted Polar). But then I was out there for 8,5hrs+. The late start didn't help much either. At stables waterpoint they only had water left.Was dying for a boiled potato. I doubt if I'll take it on again in its current form.

Edited by Fester