Cyclingpeaks question

Jason

The common factor seems to be that your stopped time is triple the actual time?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But why?

After a session I compare my PT and Polar files... So I see... Hmm 400W for 30s 3h in to my ride according to the PT... Go check the Polar file and profile... 3h I was going downhill, -12%.

How the hell can I average 400W for 30s on a -12% gradient? Well maybe but then my cadence would be 1675 RPM and I would also be running a 1-10 gear ratio.

It's just frustrating Ouch
Jason2008-01-02 01:53:29

But why?

After a session I compare my PT and Polar files... So I see... Hmm 400W for 30s 3h in to my ride according to the PT... Go check the Polar file and profile... 3h I was going downhill' date=' -12%.

How the hell can I average 400W for 30s on a -12% gradient? Well maybe but then my cadence would be 1675 RPM and I would also be running a 1-10 gear ratio.

It's just frustrating Ouch

[/quote']

I would tend to trust the PT as it samples data much more frequently than the Polar (1 sec as opposed to 5 secs) and so is more likely to be accurate. if PT says 400w for 30 secs at that point then you can be pretty sure you were pedalling that hard.

Your extra time in that file looks to be a result of some sort of data corruption from what I can see - the bracketed time is usually just a reflection of total elapsed time, as has been mentioned. Is it just on this file or have you seen strange data on others ?

Guest Michelle

BikeMax: Ignore the fact that Jason mentioned anything about Polar... the problem is that the powertap info is blatantly incorrect.  Either it's a problem on the PT or with Cyclingpeaks.  On the 6 1/2 hour ride, cyclingpeaks managed to download 9 1/2 hours worth of data, it seems to add the extra data when Jason stops for a break & the PT switches off.  When he stopped at Ians for example, he only stopped for 10 minutes & started it straight away when they left, but for some reason the file shows there being a 30 minute break.

This appears to be like this with all of his power files, it was way more obvious on the longer ride though (having added an additional 3 hours to the elapsed time, instead of only 1 hour for breaks)

BikeMax: Ignore the fact that Jason mentioned anything about Polar... the problem is that the powertap info is blatantly incorrect.  Either it's a problem on the PT or with Cyclingpeaks.  On the 6 1/2 hour ride' date=' cyclingpeaks managed to download 9 1/2 hours worth of data, it seems to add the extra data when Jason stops for a break & the PT switches off.  When he stopped at Ians for example, he only stopped for 10 minutes & started it straight away when they left, but for some reason the file shows there being a 30 minute break.

This appears to be like this with all of his power files, it was way more obvious on the longer ride though (having added an additional 3 hours to the elapsed time, instead of only 1 hour for breaks)
[/quote']

The data itself appears to be correct I think - is AP/NP not in line etc ?

The extra time is not correct but the fact that it is exactly 3 hours makes me think it is a corrupt file in some way. If his other files are all this way and the "extra" time is not in line with his stops, then there is most likely a download problem or a Cycling Peaks problem. You can check this by downloading into Power Agent and seeing if the time problem remains or not.

Maybe mail me another file along with this one to peteratbikemaxpower.com and I will have a look and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Peter

BikeMax2008-03-13 05:04:13

Hey BikeMax,

I just use the Polar for altitude Smile

So basically if I ride for a hour... My PT records for an hour and my polar records for an hour... So say now at 25 minutes in to my ride I all of a sudden start pushing 400W I would like to go back to my polar file and see oh yeah that was the start of whatever hill, but that's a bit hard to determine at the moment because the time is so out. Michelle will send you some files but please note, if you see me pushing 100W that's not an error, it's for real Big%20smileEmbarrassed

We also busy installing the Power Agent SW quick and will let you know...

Hey BikeMax' date='

I just use the Polar for altitude Smile

So basically if I ride for a hour... My PT records for an hour and my polar records for an hour... So say now at 25 minutes in to my ride I all of a sudden start pushing 400W I would like to go back to my polar file and see oh yeah that was the start of whatever hill, but that's a bit hard to determine at the moment because the time is so out. Michelle will send you some files but please note, if you see me pushing 100W that's not an error, it's for real Big%20smileEmbarrassed

We also busy installing the Power Agent SW quick and will let you know...

[/quote']

Happy to have a look.

They sample at different times and rates - so you cannot match the data points, although the gradients etc should match up.

OK BikeMax, I've emailed you the files... Check it out. You'll see my ride yesterday, for some reason at 1h 33m it added 10 minutes Confused when viewing the RAW data in Cyclingpeaks. Please let me know Thumbs%20Up

It's happening more and more... It won't be a faulty comp unit or will it? If it's not the data reading properly it's adding more data Cry

Have you checked the battery in the hub, maybe it's running a little low, maybe there is a delayed recording? Same with the polar speed sensors, soon as the battery runs low the speed seems to increase on the monitor,

Have you checked the battery in the hub' date=' maybe it's running a little low, maybe there is a delayed recording? Same with the polar speed sensors, soon as the battery runs low the speed seems to increase on the monitor,[/quote'] Thanks Turk182, I replaced the batteries 2 and a bit weeks ago so I doubt it's that. It's not a train smash but it just makes it hard to analyze... but yeah it's k@k frustrating.Jason2008-01-03 01:40:29

Have you checked the battery in the hub' date=' maybe it's running a little low, maybe there is a delayed recording? Same with the polar speed sensors, soon as the battery runs low the speed seems to increase on the monitor,[/quote'] Thanks Turk182, I replaced the batteries 2 and a bit weeks ago so I doubt it's that. It's not a train smash but it just makes it hard to analyze... but yeah it's k@k frustrating.
do you have the wireless version? i've still got the old one and i'm struggling with the heart rate strap, replaced the batteries but the unit still keeps dropping my heart rate then takes a minute to pick it up again, that really pi$%^^ me off, anyway maybe you should reload cycling peaks, good luck...

do you have the wireless version? i've still got the old one and i'm struggling with the heart rate strap' date=' replaced the batteries but the unit still keeps dropping my heart rate then takes a minute to pick it up again, that really pi$%^^ me off, anyway maybe you should reload cycling peaks, good luck...[/quote'] No, no wireless version... Only the rich Indian kids like Pantani can afford those Wink. I don't use my strap... You don't have any other devices attached that may interfere? I don't have cycling peaks, I use Michelle's, maybe I should just buy the software and check it out on my machine... There's too much cr@p on her machine... House, Desperate House Wifes, Grey's Anatomy etc etc LOL

do you have the wireless version? i've still got the old one and i'm struggling with the heart rate strap' date=' replaced the batteries but the unit still keeps dropping my heart rate then takes a minute to pick it up again, that really pi$%^^ me off, anyway maybe you should reload cycling peaks, good luck...[/quote'] No, no wireless version... Only the rich Indian kids like Pantani can afford those Wink. I don't use my strap... You don't have any other devices attached that may interfere? I don't have cycling peaks, I use Michelle's, maybe I should just buy the software and check it out on my machine... There's too much cr@p on her machine... House, Desperate House Wifes, Grey's Anatomy etc etc LOL
Best to get your own version, does not cost that much and it's brilliant, don't have any other gadgets on the bike, just have to change the battery again or maybe give the strap a good beating that sometimes works, what is it with Grey's Anatomy my wife is addicted, and she just got a copy of the new season from my old lady.....

Guest Michelle

Funny funny... Tongue

Plan of action is to send Jason on another 9-hour ride, then download into cyclingpeaks & poweragent... check if the raw data on poweragent has the jumps in time, then we will know that it's the powertap... if it's correct there, then it must be the cyclingpeaks... Wink

Best to get your own version' date=' does not cost that much and it's brilliant, don't have any other gadgets on the bike, just have to change the battery again or maybe give the strap a good beating that sometimes works, what is it with Grey's Anatomy my wife is addicted, and she just got a copy of the new season from my old lady.....[/quote'] I'll have a look, which package do I get? Athlete Home Addition or what? Dunno what's with Grey's, but this disease is spreading fast!!

Funny funny... Tongue

Plan of action is to send Jason on another 9-hour ride' date=' then download into cyclingpeaks & poweragent... check if the raw data on poweragent has the jumps in time, then we will know that it's the powertap... if it's correct there, then it must be the cyclingpeaks... Wink
[/quote'] You are too kind... 9 hours is like a rest day for me at the moment ConfusedDead