Free Tools - what would you choose?

Caerus

My best mate has just started a business selling tools to the buliding and other trades. So he posed the question, what do I want? They have a catalogue of 18 000 tools, equipment etc that I can choose from tomorrow for my birthday present.

What should I choose without going to overboard, bearing in mind I want cycling related tools as well. I do have a good tool kit that I've built up already, so don't want to be to greedy. So far I've thought of a couple things,

1. Torque Wrench
  2. Ratchet Set
  3. Full spanner Set

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My best mate has just started a business selling tools to the buliding and other trades. So he posed the question, what do I want? They have a catalogue of 18 000 tools, equipment etc that I can choose from tomorrow for my birthday present.

What should I choose without going to overboard, bearing in mind I want cycling related tools as well. I do have a good tool kit that I've built up already, so don't want to be to greedy. So far I've thought of a couple things,

1. Torque Wrench
  2. Ratchet Set
  3. Full spanner Set

Torque Wrench !!

1. Torque Wrench
  2. Ratchet Set
  3. Full spanner Set

2a. Make sure it has torx and allen key set

4. Adjustable wrench (different to adjustable wench)

EDIT: 2 sets of everything ! Shot :thumbup: :D

Edited by The Drongo

I can see this being an extended lunch break :lol: I was told today that the cost of a Stanley tape measure, is like R5, yet they sell for almost R50 +++ in the shops.

What have you found that you needed the most in the past that you don't have?

The Torque Wrenches is what I was looking at getting myself having recently got a carbon frame. I would also like a quality chisel, and some decent woodworking tools would be good. But as I've also said, I can't go to overboard.

A vice,it's always handy.

Some good quality screw drivers.

A set of pliers.

Allen keys and Torx keys.

A socket set and spanners.

What make of tools is he doing?

A vice,it's always handy.

Some good quality screw drivers.

A set of pliers.

Allen keys and Torx keys.

A socket set and spanners.

What make of tools is he doing?

He just spoke of "Stanley" today, I was so excited that if he told me something else I missed it, but I will find out more tomorrow when I go see him. The vice idea is a good one :thumbup: , I needed one the other day. Ive already for a good set of drivers, pliers and torx keys.

He just spoke of "Stanley" today, I was so excited that if he told me something else I missed it, but I will find out more tomorrow when I go see him. The vice idea is a good one :thumbup: , I needed one the other day. Ive already for a good set of drivers, pliers and torx keys.

Dude, here is your niche market to cyclists (hubbers)....

Get discounted tools from a local supplier :thumbup:

I can see this being an extended lunch break :lol: I was told today that the cost of a Stanley tape measure, is like R5, yet they sell for almost R50 +++ in the shops.

That is called CAPITALISM.

The Torque Wrenches is what I was looking at getting myself having recently got a carbon frame. I would also like a quality chisel, and some decent woodworking tools would be good. But as I've also said, I can't go to overboard.

Dude, if you go for the chisels, do not touch the STANLEY stuff, unless it is the old Stanley. The new stuff is soft, as well as brittle. I don't know how they got that right, but I've broken 2 chisels whilst cutting out mortises in wood.

I would even get the GRIP stuff over STANLEY at the moment.

Also - get some screwies that have the chrome/vanadium tips. Again - stay away from Stanley. They are that bad at the moment, which is quite sad, really, as they used to be fantastic tools.

Dude, here is your niche market to cyclists (hubbers)....

Get discounted tools from a local supplier :thumbup:

Let me see what I can arrange :thumbup:

Dude, if you go for the chisels, do not touch the STANLEY stuff, unless it is the old Stanley. The new stuff is soft, as well as brittle. I don't know how they got that right, but I've broken 2 chisels whilst cutting out mortises in wood.

Also - get some screwies that have the chrome/vanadium tips. Again - stay away from Stanley. They are that bad at the moment, which is quite sad, really, as they used to be fantastic tools.

Eish, that does not sound good, I've got a lot of Stanley tools, these I bought about 5-6 years ago while in the UK. When did they get so bad with their quality?

Very recently... I must say that it's only the stuff I've bought here that has had such a bad run, but ALL of my Stanley screwdrivers have become stripped or chipped (not through mis-use) and I've lost 2 chisels thanks to the blade snapping. The blades also blunt & dent VERY easily. Almost as if their curing process has gone awry. I've bought them over the past 2 to 3 years... Suffice to say that my old tools (stahlwilhe, record etc) are still perfect.

Nee sies man spoeg uit! Nothing can be worse than that GRIP crap lol