Tokai Access

(Deon)

I've seen a pro or two sneak in, setting a good example! makes my stomach turn!! Thanks Deon and Cobus for all the trail maintenance you guys do. (in your own time)

Lets make a Sunday in the near future a trail repair day and see how many Okies pitch. I'm in who else is?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a pro or two sneak in, setting a good example! makes my stomach turn!! Thanks Deon and Cobus for all the trail maintenance you guys do. (in your own time)

Lets make a Sunday in the near future a trail repair day and see how many Okies pitch. I'm in who else is?

hey Bongs. stoked by the eagerness. :) As build days are scheduled events, keep your eyes peeled for announcements. if it's arranged timeously, the better it's attended. :)

Sanparks should park a guy off there at that entrance on a random basis, and simply charge them triple, but charge em they entered. Pay up or have bikes confiscated.

and that's where mass participation at trail rebuild days will assist in showing that what riders want, they are willing to ensure happens. I'm sorry, but the odd clearing of a branch will not suffice in making our voices heard above the status quo that payment is merely for access to a piece of land.

but i do understand: it's just ridiculous that good money is not really going to that which we desire most. The mandates at SANParks need a little guidance here. Eco-tourism is booming. I'm surprised it's falling on deaf ears.

Read it again Caps... I have singlehandedly and legally built big and long trials, but feel that i add to the effort when out riding and clearing a section. I love building trails, but cant stand cyclists' money going into other coffers.

Edited by ichnusa

Read it again Caps... I have singlehandedly and legally built big and long trials, but feel that i add to the effort when out riding and clearing a section. I love building trails, but cant stand cyclists' money going into other coffers.

sorry, that wasn't intended for you, more to in a general sense that small, individual contributions will be meaningless without a larger, sustained effort.

Edited by Capricorn

What....you guys are surprised!

Tokai sucks the life outta mtbiking. They take all that they can from us and put Fkol back. Volenteers do ALL the maintanance, and Murant has to fight to get permission for that too.

I buy my years pass, for the days that I can't get away to places like Velvinpas(spelling) Contamanns cloof and the likes. Where the land owners appreciate us and put the effort back into the trails.

So in my HUMBLE opinion Tokai has already fallen to the ROT!

OH yeah and those not paying....get a life! Your actions have consiquences for those that DO ride the ROT!

You know SANparks do support the trail builders in the ways they can, we have received an annual budget to work on the trails but it has always been just enough that the trails don't fall apart, but not enough for the complaints to stop... tough spot.

Funding within TMNP is an issue and they really do need every cent that they can get from wherever they can, be it Boulders Beach, Cape Point, Tokai etc.. That is why the volunteer system was setup in the first place, so it could remove the financial burden from Parks and we could still have trails to ride.

Sponsorship is where we are at at the moment and Parks have always said that we are entitled to raise our own money... some groups are showing interest and some have already started rolling out donations. I am expecting a very bright future.

What....you guys are surprised! Tokai sucks the life outta mtbiking. They take all that they can from us and put Fkol back. Volenteers do ALL the maintanance, and Murant has to fight to get permission for that too. I buy my years pass, for the days that I can't get away to places like Velvinpas(spelling) Contamanns cloof and the likes. Where the land owners appreciate us and put the effort back into the trails. So in my HUMBLE opinion Tokai has already fallen to the ROT! OH yeah and those not paying....get a life! Your actions have consiquences for those that DO ride the ROT!

Geez, guess it has been a while since you have ridden Tokai. I think it will be better if you keep it that way, stick to the areas that make you happy.

I am going to save this post.. I like the way it flows, especially your signature, neatly juxtaposed by what you said!

PS, you seem to know how this whole thing works.. please tell us what kind of fighting is going into getting permission?

I don't do violence. Hehe.

Yeah, he's a lover, not a fighter, a talker too. :whistling:

You back yet??

I just bought a new acces card. R300 . If you ride twice a week its R3 a ride! Why cheat? Probably the same people who moan about the state of the trails and crash riding down the roads. Although I didn't have to show my old card at the gate for about 8 months! The guys just assumed I had one cos I was there so often...

I just bought a new acces card. R300 . If you ride twice a week its R3 a ride! Why cheat? Probably the same people who moan about the state of the trails and crash riding down the roads. Although I didn't have to show my old card at the gate for about 8 months! The guys just assumed I had one cos I was there so often...

Yeah. I need to renew mine as well - last card expired in December, and have been meanign to renew it! Paying R 35 per is a bit of a change to just flashing a card! But I get what you say, Jimmy - the guys there knew me as well, and I didn't have to show my card...

Without naming names, there are a few guys on here who should be allowed free entry across a red carpet lined with dancing girls every time they ride Tokai. They put in so much hard work and valuable time, they deserve at least some kind of honorary freedom of SANParks! :thumbup:

Guest Omega Man

You back yet??

Back tonight at 9. 2 weeks+ away from home. It's not been a fun time.

Geez, guess it has been a while since you have ridden Tokai. I think it will be better if you keep it that way, stick to the areas that make you happy.

I am going to save this post.. I like the way it flows, especially your signature, neatly juxtaposed by what you said!

PS, you seem to know how this whole thing works.. please tell us what kind of fighting is going into getting permission?

True, it's been a while, I must admit. No I'm not that completely clued up on EXACTLY how it works, but I am in the mix with some that are. From what I HEAR, it's not only impossible to get permission to built NEW trails but also hard to get permission to actually get in and be allowed to work on the (rotten, overused and abused) trails that are already there.

It's sad as WE the mtbikers are the ones that fork out our cash to ride, our time (volenteers) to maintain and still have to almost beg to be allowed in. Yet the hikers and horses use what we repair!

UNCOOL!

So for that reason I ride where we're (mtb's) are wanted and welcome.

I think it's called reciprecation.

We give and they return the favour.