Action Cycles PE - Impressive Service

dee jay

Far too seldom these days one gives credit where credit is due...

Made the jump up to carbon and bought a Silverback Strela Concept from Action Cycles in PE. From the outset the folks there have always been approachable, willing to assist, understanding, and never once tried to twist my arm into buying something more expensive than what I needed.

A few weeks on the new bike and loving it, however I noticed a fine crack in the paint around one of the bottle cage attachments... Gave the Action Cycles guys a call, they took some pics and within two days I had a brand spanking new frame.

Thanks for the positive service experience. Much, much appreciated!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon guys, just my opinion. Like I said, credit where credit is due.

Of course everyone's experience will be different... and nope, I am not in the employ of any cycle store whatsoever.

I have to agree, always had brilliant service from them as well. Have bought all my bikes, shoes, components from them. Prices are good and find staff very helpful.

And no, I don't work for them.

I wanted to respond to this post, but don’t really know how to. I have shopped there a lot in the last few years and sometimes have received brilliant service, other times bad service. I don’t know whether to join the group who are complimenting them or those who are complaining.

I have this “Love Hate” relationship with them. Sometimes I love them other times I hate them.

Dee Jay.........I think you should have headed this post "Silverback - Excellent Service" They are the ones that got you your new frame within 2 days.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

Unfortunately I have only had bad service, except for their 1st answer to the call I made.

My emails to them which describe the reasons for complaint:

“Good day,

I would just like to give feedback about the service I received at your shop regarding my MTB service; I believe it is not just so one can improve, but also good to know when one is doing a great job.

A little background - I am quite new to cycling (10 months), but I do think I have ridden, read and asked enough by now to comment. I bought my Scott at Chris Willemse and also did the 1st 'aftersales service' with them so I have had NO experience with any PE shops. I wanted to pick one of the shops in PE to become my LBS and thus with your location (easy for drop-offs and so) and quick reply on 1st contact made (email and phone) I chose you, Action Cycles. [That is a compliment!]

I was quoted R400 for a full service not 100% sure what it included, but was also informed that I will be phoned if any other costs will be added. I was phoned about my BB's and I rejected the R600 on cost as I was quoted far less by a competitor. When I arrived at your shop yesterday afternoon I was informed what a full service includes: checking the bearings and changing the cables and practically stripping the whole bike.

I was surprised when I was told to pay R531 (incl 10% VW discount) after not being phoned to say it will be more than the quote R400. My logic tells me that if changing the cables are part of the "Full Service" then the components should also be included; or I could have said do a mini, but add the cables change as well.

My complaint here is that there was no 'transparency' - surprises afterwards always leaves a bad taste in ones mouth.

(I was on my way to visit my oupa in hospital and thus I was not thinking clearly when I was at the shop, otherwise I would have discussed this right there.)

For now I will be looking at approaching the other PE shops in my search for my LBS.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards,”

Their reply:

“Morning, Thanks for your response as to the service yesterday. Sorry for the miss understanding about the service,but the R400 does not include any parts.Being just cables which are small items we normally just go ahead as without changing them the service cannot be carried out properly.If it was a large amount for something like a chain etc. Then we would phone the client.Also about the bottom bracket,we did some research when you told us that we were more expensive than another shop.Only to find out that they just change the bearings with a cheap bearing.That is why I asked Blaine to phone and tell you we could also do it for the same amount.We would have done it cheaper as we wouldn’t charge labour again as we had done a major already. Just to let you know I have the best mechanics in town and that you can ask the riders yourself. I am really sorry for the miss understanding and would like to make it up to you by giving you a free wash and clean when you need it. I deal with a lot of people at Volkswagen such as Howard Schardy in the legal department etc.You can feel free to speak to him and ask him about our service. Have a great day.Garth.”

“Hello Garth,

I unfortunately have another "ummm" moment regarding my service experience at your shop.

Sunday morning when I was packing my car to go to the JBay race I noticed that the person who pumped my tires didn't just pump it too hard, but also didn't replace the caps on my valves. Luckily JBay Cycles was at the venue before the race to give me new caps.

I am sorry about bringing my concerns to light, but thoroughness is something I rate highly.

Regards,”

THEN...after a week my headset started making a noise when turning and it was like to much friction in the bearing. I phoned them and said I will be dropping my bike in the Tuesday afternoon. Whne there I also asked them to not put grease on my seat post like after the service as it caused it to slip in the whole time and collect dirt.

“Hello,

I dropped my bike at your shop on Tuesday afternoon and after I had to phone today (Thursday) to hear if it is ready for collection I sent my mom to fetch it. When I received it, it still had exactly the same noise from headset when turning it as when I took it in. This noise appeared after your mechanics thought it was time to change the headset bearings at the full service 3 weeks ago.

I was disappointed that I was riding for more than 10months with not a creek on the bike and now after the full service it is giving problems. I unfortunately need to take part in the Xterra this weekend in Grabouw and thus need my bike, but I will be delivering it on Monday again for Action Cycles to repair; hopefully this time within a day or a bike on loan.

Regards,”

So i received it back with the noice still in the headset and with the seat clip SO tight that I could not loosen it and a friend even struggled (had to use a cloth).

I still have to take it back for them to fix, will in the week to come to be readt for Argus. Just hope they dont dissapoint again.

What kind of noise? A headset should be super easy to sort out. If you don't come right let me know.

Well I must admit I have had nothing but great service from Action Cycles everytime I go there.

Bought my first Cervelo there and also had my Scott Addict build up by them.

My experience have been good thus far and I cannot fault their mechanics that worked on my bikes.

Will keep taking my business there.

Frankly Hayley I think you have a little too much time on your hands. Tires being pumped too hard?

And as far as not knowing what the full service was, the huge board on the wall gives a breakdown of what each service entails, failing that why not ask beforehand?

Yes, there was an occasion when I had to take my bike back a second time. They did however find the fault and sorted out pronto a day before I was doing Double Century. Most bike shops will point out that us as riders are usually a little vague when it comes to pointing out whats wrong. " A funny noise/creak'' doesn't usually give surgical precision to where the problem is. The main thing is that they are always willing to try find the problem and sort it out. If they had adopted an attitude then yes you are correct in slating non existent service. From what I can gather from your lengthy tirade is that they have been more than willing to assist you.

Edited by Abercrombie

If Hayleyearth wants her bike serviced properly, what's wrong with that?

My view, the service you get depends on what they think you'll spend...

I know this shop - it's where we bought our bikes 10 years ago and that was only because they stocked the particular bikes we wanted, not because they did much to attract us in as new customers. Since then they've missed out on making more out of us because their shop-floor service is poor. Being ignored is not nice. Being told that parts available on CRC are no longer in production (!) is also a bit weird. And getting treated like you're a bird-brain that still needs training wheels just maybe because you're not of the gender is also not great for building customer relations. I don't live in PE so can't build an 'LBS' relationship with them, but why can't they be a bit more friendly? Their stock is nice, some great bikes (but don't ask for small), and Garth gave us a good deal on our bikes - but their service won't keep me shopping with them...

Hayleyearth: suggest you find a mechanic somewhere you can talk to and trust - then look after him (or her!), cos I'm still looking. (If all they left off your bike were the tyres' dust caps, you're lucky!)

Frankly Hayley I think you have a little too much time on your hands. Tires being pumped too hard?

And as far as not knowing what the full service was, the huge board on the wall gives a breakdown of what each service entails, failing that why not ask beforehand?

Yes, there was an occasion when I had to take my bike back a second time. They did however find the fault and sorted out pronto a day before I was doing Double Century. Most bike shops will point out that us as riders are usually a little vague when it comes to pointing out whats wrong. " A funny noise/creak'' doesn't usually give surgical precision to where the problem is. The main thing is that they are always willing to try find the problem and sort it out. If they had adopted an attitude then yes you are correct in slating non existent service. From what I can gather from your lengthy tirade is that they have been more than willing to assist you.

I believe she did say the noise was coming from her headset. With a component the size of a headset, there couldn't really be overly many options when diagnosing it. So I'd say her diagnosis was pretty accurate.

I have a friend that used to work there many moons ago. One story that she told me was when one time a family brought a stationary bike in that belonged to their father that passed away. I can't recall the amount she said, but lets say they told the shop that they would like to get R1400 for it. As the story goes the shop managed to sell it for like R3000. When the family came in again to collect their money, "the shop" still took another 10% commission for facilitating the sale. Even after making a huge profit. Classy.

I won't ever spend a cent in Action Cycles after my last visit there.

A few years ago I decided to try revive my 10 year old halogen bike light. I charged the battery and it still worked great. Only problem was the bracket to attach it to the handle bar was designed for the older 25.4 handle bars and wouldnt fit my new over size bars. I remembered that all new bikes come with a reflector attached to the seatpost and most bike shops take these off and throw them into a box. I thought it would be simple enough to use one of the brackets from one of these to fit my light.

I walked into Action Cycles and was helped by some lady. I explained my story with my light and asked if I could buy one of the reflectors. She wasnt sure what I was talking about and called one of the technical guys. Again I explained the situation with my light and asked if I could buy a reflector to try make a new bracket. The guy told me it wouldnt work and that I would have to buy a new light.

I went to another shop and was given a whole handful of different sizes for free.

Guess what, it worked beautifully.