Action Cycles PE - Impressive Service

dee jay

1. Couldn't care less to be honest. I haven't set foot in that shop for around 6 years, and don't plan to either. I have my reasons.

2. Doesn't matter what signage they hang on the outside. If the same person operates the shop, its the old shop, old attitudes, etc. Call it Super Duper Mega Cycles, with the same old Kippie operating it, nothing changed.

3. Heard JLA was opening shop. Hope them well, but as you say, PE is small...

So in PE, we have:

• Wayne Pheiffer Cycles
  • Cyclo Pro
  • Action Cycles CycleLab
  • Coimbra
  • Augustyn Cycles
  • 2nd Breath Cycles
  • A mate of mine's dad also just opened up a bike service business. He's been doing bikes for longer than most of us have been alive, so I'll trust him with my stuff. And I'm full of k@k when it comes to my stuff.
  • Not to mention places like Sportsmans Warehouse and other retail shops that probably sell more bikes than all the bike shops combined.

That's allot of shops for PE...

It's good..........should start a price war and should up the service levels.

2nd Breath closed ages ago. Let's not forget 360 Cycles that tried to break into the market and failed, as well as Comobike.

At least JLA has a huge reputation that will attract the customers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd Breath closed ages ago. Let's not forget 360 Cycles that tried to break into the market and failed, as well as Comobike.

I don't go past where 2nd Breath was often, so wasn't aware of that. 360 Cycles and Comobike, as far as I know, was the same guy. I've never seen that guy on a bicycle once in my life......... then they try break into the bike shop market. Really? Took my bike there once for a new BB. He put one in with a moerse long axle. So much so its impossible to shift onto the big ring. I complain, tells me I don't know how to set gears. Ya, only been riding bikes for close to 20 years, I don't know how to set gears. Take bike back. Collect the next day, a MUCH shorter BB put in.... and he tells me they just set the gears, so he was right and I was wrong. What a champ.

Edited by Azonic

Was 360 Cycles in Circular Dr?

The guys at Como were just rude and they were very expensive.

Was 360 Cycles in Circular Dr?

The guys at Como were just rude and they were very expensive.

Yes, their second shop was there. First attempt was at the Lorraine cafe at the back of Lorraine. But ja, as far as I know 360 = Como.

1. Couldn't care less to be honest. I haven't set foot in that shop for around 6 years, and don't plan to either. I have my reasons.

2. Doesn't matter what signage they hang on the outside. If the same person operates the shop, its the old shop, old attitudes, etc. Call it Super Duper Mega Cycles, with the same old Kippie operating it, nothing changed.

So in PE, we have:

• Wayne Pheiffer Cycles
  • Cyclo Pro
  • Action Cycles CycleLab
  • Coimbra
  • Augustyn Cycles
  • 2nd Breath Cycles
  • A mate of mine's dad also just opened up a bike service business. He's been doing bikes for longer than most of us have been alive, so I'll trust him with my stuff. And I'm full of k@k when it comes to my stuff.
  • Not to mention places like Sportsmans Warehouse and other retail shops that probably sell more bikes than all the bike shops combined.

That's allot of shops for PE...

Gather that the Augustyn shop will focus more on training, nutrition, kit, setups etc. than on selling of bikes, but yes, a lot of shops for a small dorpie such as PE and a lot of bikes, mainly MTB, are sold every month. Problem is that none of the clubs can quite get their heads around where all these bikes are, as organised funrides and races attract far less than the number of bikes around.

2nd Breath never really sold new bikes, but did servicing and sold 2nd hand bikes, mostly consignment stuff. When they closed, the only 2nd hand bike business that remained was Recycle Sports in Charlo, run by Mark and his wife. Heck of a nice guy and crazy busy with customers everytime I have been there.

The only explanation for why there are so few riders when compared to bikes sold, must be that bikes are bought and then simply stand in the garage as the owner discovers he or she is "just not that into cycling". That potentially means that there is a lot of good secondhand stock around, if you know where to look or if pepole know where to look for you! There is huge demand for 2nd hand and if bikes/equipment are well priced and business well run, a lot of money can be made. The shops selling new bikes are not interested in 2nd hand as they cannot let 2nd hand compete with new stuff on the floor.

Yes, their second shop was there. First attempt was at the Lorraine cafe at the back of Lorraine. But ja, as far as I know 360 = Como.

The problem was not so much as with the owners, but the people they employed. The owner of 360 went into a partnership with Como bike. Both of them had other businesses and had to rely on the people they employed. Other than Phillip (who was brilliant and is now a manager at Probike), I have never seen any of the employees on bikes.

I found both of the shops to be relatively cheap, but under stocked.

Phillip at Como bikes?I don't remember him there.The guys that was in the shop was on the Hub.

You also need to add Triangle to the mix.

When I've earned my next bike my money will go to Coimbra because Ewan is the most knowledgeable person I've encountered in a bike shop, gives good prices and follows up.

As for Action Cycles, I once wanted to look at a Specialized and the guy asked me if I'm a realistic buyer because he doesn't particularly feel like taking the bike down for me to sit on ...

Where in PE is JL going to open?

I believe around Villiers road and 6th avenue Walmer.

Phillip at Como bikes?I don't remember him there.The guys that was in the shop was on the Hub.

Remember Phillip from Wayne Pheiffer's shop; he left in maybe 2009 or 2010 then went to Action Cycles and from there went to Probike. Is it the same guy ?

Remember Phillip from Wayne Pheiffer's shop; he left in maybe 2009 or 2010 then went to Action Cycles and from there went to Probike. Is it the same guy ?

Yup. He started his "bike shop" carreer at 360 Cycles.

Edited by Azonic

So in PE, we have:

• Wayne Pheiffer Cycles
  • Cyclo Pro
  • Action Cycles CycleLab
  • Coimbra
  • Augustyn Cycles
  • 2nd Breath Cycles

Where is Wayne Pheiffer situated? I see they got lots of brands on their website but the links takes you directly to the manufacturers websites. Do they really have all these things upon walking in or are they going to tell me they can order the stuff anytime I want???

Bikes:

Pinarello

Look

Scott

Cannondale

Felt

BMC

AXIS

Mongoose

Merida

Silverback

Monoc

Jamis

Bianchi

Time

Titan

Shoes:

Olympic

DMT

Sidi

Merida

Scott

Shimano

Louis Garneau

Mavic

Time

Where is Wayne Pheiffer situated? I see they got lots of brands on their website but the links takes you directly to the manufacturers websites. Do they really have all these things upon walking in or are they going to tell me they can order the stuff anytime I want???

Bikes:

Pinarello

Look

Scott

Cannondale

Felt

BMC

AXIS

Mongoose

Merida

Silverback

Monoc

Jamis

Bianchi

Time

Titan

Shoes:

Olympic

DMT

Sidi

Merida

Scott

Shimano

Louis Garneau

Mavic

Time

Up in the Linton Grange area. Very nice shop. I wouldn't say they have everything on that list in the store all the time, but most ja.

Up in the Linton Grange area. Very nice shop. I wouldn't say they have everything on that list in the store all the time, but most ja.

They always have some nice stuff to look at and are always helpful.

Azonic, you really,really seem to have an axe to grind with Garth? Why use this forum to vent your obvious dislike for him and not go in there?

This thread started out commending somebody for good service, something that is rare these days. However every time Action Cycles get's mentioned you feel a dire need to criticize them? Everybody is by now rather well aware of your obvious dislike for Garth, so why not leave it alone now?

Edited by Abercrombie

They always have some nice stuff to look at and are always helpful.

Yeah just rang them up and they don't have the stuff on the floor (understandebly I suppose) but most friendly and helpfull. Will check them out next week.

Edited by TMobile