Tokai epic fail !!!

Goldencycles

Sorry to hear about your friends fall. As far as not getting hold of help for him it's unfortunate that getting hold of someone is always a pain. If you dial an ambulance or police number it always goes via cell providers call centre and then only get passed on to emergency service and this always takes awhile. If your friend is on a medical aid the best is then to call a private ambulance service like ER24 or Netcare. If you are in a fairly inaccessible area you might need helicopter evacuation and then it's best to contact the Red Cross Air Mercy Service (0861267267) who deals with rescues on the mountain alternatively you should contact Metro EMS & Rescue on 10177. These two organizations work together as part of the Wilderness Search and Rescue group that deals with incidents on the mountain. Hope your friend gets better soon.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just got back from a ride. I asked the dude at the gate and it turns out Chris Botes DOES have a key for the boom gate. It really shows the mark of a man when he won't even bother to help a guy with a neck injury.

I'm so happy he's going. ****.

That sucks, man... Really, really sucks.

Edited by Pain or Shine

They need to put sign up by the boom gate, so that if something happened, we can always phone the right number.

Maybe the guy in white bakkie is put off with us, cyclist because nearly every weekend, at least 5 people get badly injured, so he had to go open gate all the time. Also the signs show that we should not be in the forest before 7 and after 6, but we all train bf work and after work

Hi there guys just some feedback on the condition of my bud he will be having surgery on his hand tomorrow at constantiaberg

hospital due to severe damage to the bones in his hands as for his neck he will be wearing a neck brace for a while just to support

the injuries to his neck. Thanx to all you guys for your support its highly appreciated.

As soon as hes out of hospital I will get him to put a message up.

Thanx once again :thumbup:

Hi to all who ride especially the DH guys and ladies and thanks for your good wishes! Well I'm the rider who crashed Saturday evening and I ride Tokai often and know the DH track well! I have had my fair share of crashes and the crash on Saturday wasn't that bad I just went off line when I landed the jump after the rock jump that veers off to the right and ended up in the vynbos and before I knew it my front wheel hit something and I went head first into the ground breaking my left wrist and dislocating my left shoulder which I popped in myself. This is when things got **** as the SOS number was a waste of time as goldencycles has already said I managed to free wheel back down and even if I had called an ambulance according to Chris Bhota there was no key for the boom but when we got to his house he was outside and said someone had brought him a key but we obviously dont need it and politely apologised which I believe was just to cover his ass! So off we go after arranging someone to fetch my bakkie and arriving at Constantiaberg I turn to my mate and we both realise its Chris! At the emergency entrance helping a lady who definitely needed that ride more than me as she broke her hip!

waynester! you again!! man u just love falling! :lol:

glad u feelin better, but man, when u gonna stop falling! ;)

but eina at the ladywith a busted hip! any word on her?

Hi to all who ride especially the DH guys and ladies and thanks for your good wishes! Well I'm the rider who crashed Saturday evening and I ride Tokai often and know the DH track well! I have had my fair share of crashes and the crash on Saturday wasn't that bad I just went off line when I landed the jump after the rock jump that veers off to the right and ended up in the vynbos and before I knew it my front wheel hit something and I went head first into the ground breaking my left wrist and dislocating my left shoulder which I popped in myself. This is when things got **** as the SOS number was a waste of time as goldencycles has already said I managed to free wheel back down and even if I had called an ambulance according to Chris Bhota there was no key for the boom but when we got to his house he was outside and said someone had brought him a key but we obviously dont need it and politely apologised which I believe was just to cover his ass! So off we go after arranging someone to fetch my bakkie and arriving at Constantiaberg I turn to my mate and we both realise its Chris! At the emergency entrance helping a lady who definitely needed that ride more than me as she broke her hip! My 1st concern is safety and so I do ride with all the protective gear necessary as to minimise the risk but when I needed help most there was none! Apart from my friend. I have a permit that's valid and feel that SANPARKS and the people who manage the trails should do some serious planning and come up with a solution i.e. An emergency number and service that can respond in this sort of situation! My friend tried desperately to help me and was powerless with regards to support from Chris or the emergency number but didn't give up until I was admitted into hospital! What a mate! There are many supportive riders and professionals who given the opportunity could solve this but Tokai has such a bad reputation for red tape. I am going for an operation tomorrow as I need to have a steel plate put into my wrist and possibly wire and also have my shoulder properly relocated in the socket! DH all the way like a friend of mine says pay the piper and ride till you die!

I hope I will be able to ride DH still but encourage anyone who does so to be as safe as possible and always ride with a friend!

according to Chris Bhota there was no key for the boom but when we got to his house he was outside and said someone had brought him a key but we obviously dont need it and politely apologised which I believe was just to cover his ass!

Chris Botes, I think you are talking about. Not the type to lie, in the interactions I had with him back in the day. In fact, being brutally truthful is his default. If he had the key, he would have made a plan. A difficult sod, but a decent human being. You may choose to think he was covering his ass, I choose to beleive he was telling the truth.

.......... according to Chris Bhota there was no key for the boom but when we got to his house he was outside and said someone had brought him a key .........arriving at Constantiaberg I turn to my mate and we both realise its Chris! At the emergency entrance helping a lady who definitely needed that ride more than me as she broke her hip!

Why would the guy refuse to help you but then go out of his way to help someone else, even to drive her to hospital himself, which surely was not part of his job? I understand he is recently retired. Perhaps some more info can complete the picture, it just feels like half a story to me?

Hope all goes well with the op tomorrow and that you heal speedily (been there, done that)!

Hi there's really not much else to be said I'm don't give a **** about Chris Bhota to be honest I'm more interested in the next guy or lady who finds themselves in the same predicament if you saw the look in his face when we bumped into him at the hospital then you'd understand why I think he was talking rubarb he could have jumped into my pocket he looked really surprised and embarrassed all said to him was hey you beat us here! Lol

I have some info regarding the SOS number. Yes, it is not the best option in case of emergency. The people who man the line are very good intentioned but the system almost serves no point, as they redirect your call with another number.

I am working towards having a dedicated EMT response, dedicated in that they will have a key themselves and their number posted on all the signage and Tokai website (soon). This will be a direct number.

AS Mario pointed out earlier " you should contact Metro EMS & Rescue on 10177." or 021 480 7700. These are also direct numbers and they fortunately are able to get the closest vehicle out - closest could also mean N1 City as we have experienced before..!

As for the helpfulness/or lack thereof, there is aways a reason. Yes Chris has retired and has been relieved of his duties and he is the type of guy to make leaving an official thing.

Waynester, if he apologized, you have gotten a lot more from him than many who have worked with him for years. You are one of the few!

Hi there's really not much else to be said I'm don't give a **** about Chris Bhota to be honest I'm more interested in the next guy or lady who finds themselves in the same predicament if you saw the look in his face when we bumped into him at the hospital then you'd understand why I think he was talking rubarb he could have jumped into my pocket he looked really surprised and embarrassed all said to him

was hey you beat us here! Lol

If you are going to defame the man at least get his name right.

It may be that he didn't have the key initially, but still it sounds like he treated the matter rather poorly. Lets hope the new person that takes over from him has a better relationship with cyclists.

Any idea who the person is that will be taking over?

Edit: BTW hope you get well soon man! The accident you described can happen to anyone.

Edited by MariusD