Chris Willemse on imports

Chris Willemse

Jamm,

Before you pull the trigger, please come into see us and let me personally quote - you might be a tad suprised  CFS

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you buy a groupset from chainreactioncycles they state that shipping is free.

Will I have to pay extra for customs or any other charges?

The point of all this is that, some things may be a little cheaper at the CWC online store, but if you find the right local bike shop, the prices are very similar and in some cases even cheaper. When you add the service component on, then in my mind a good local bike shop wins hands down.

Well done Louisa, now if only all newbies could make sense on their first posting...Welcome to the Hub smiley32.gif

IMO you should name and flame those LBS's that tried to get rid of their sell you a large and dont forget to mention the guys who helped you out.

SwissVan2008-01-05 01:07:22

I'm flying to JNB from Europe next week. I take orders for bike parts now for those interested! Big%20smile

Yes me first....

Please send some sunshine and + tempratures back this direction Cry

For every plus there is a minus, its the way of the world.

We could debate whats better LBS or ONLINE for the next 10 years and be no closer to an answer.

Personally, I buy everything online including tyres and tubes, but thats because I cant be bothered driving around in JHB traffic, its much more comfortable in my study, browsing sites with a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits (or on other occassions, something stronger.)

Usually,I know what I want and its a simple selection process, it may be impersonal but I dont really have any interest in been the LBS owners best friend, - I have my own friends, but thanks anyway.

I dont mind paying for a service like a repair and I go wherever its convenient for me on the day, which is not necessarily the closest shop to my house or office (actually I never go there Big%20smile) and I would never ask a shop for a favour without offering to renumerate them - I dont expect it from my customers and I dont ask others to do the same. 

The bottom line is, Shop, buy, where ever you want, its your money and time, you dont need to justify it to anyone or get their approval for your choice.

When you buy a groupset from chainreactioncycles they state that shipping is free.

Have not bought online from them yet, but from what I understand and from posts on the Hub, you will have to pay VAT, so you need to factor that into the overall costs. You will also pay extra for DHL shipping rather than standard or parcel force. And if you buy clothes or shoes or complete bikes there is a customs charge.

Can someone confirm this please?

Have not bought online from them yet' date=' but from what I understand and from posts on the Hub, you will have to pay VAT, so you need to factor that into the overall costs. You will also pay extra for DHL shipping rather than standard or parcel force. And if you buy clothes or shoes or complete bikes there is a customs charge.

Can someone confirm this please?
[/quote']

Theres a lot of posts on this if you do a search, but in general "yes" thats correct.

For every plus there is a minus' date=' its the way of the world.

We could debate whats better LBS or ONLINE for the next 10 years and be no closer to an answer.

Personally, I buy everything online including tyres and tubes, but thats because I cant be bothered driving around in JHB traffic, its much more comfortable in my study, browsing sites with a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits (or on other occassions, something stronger.)

Usually,I know what I want and its a simple selection process, it may be impersonal but I dont really have any interest in been the LBS owners best friend, - I have my own friends, but thanks anyway.

I dont mind paying for a service like a repair and I go wherever its convenient for me on the day, which is not necessarily the closest shop to my house or office (actually I never go there Big%20smile) and I would never ask a shop for a favour without offering to renumerate them - I dont expect it from my customers and I dont ask others to do the same. 

The bottom line is, Shop, buy, where ever you want, its your money and time, you dont need to justify it to anyone or get their approval for your choice.

[/quote']

Yes its true, at the end of the day you need to do a bit of both...even i buy online despite all my bleating about building a relationship with the LBS.

My local online shop prices are on avg the same as the LBS but the OL shop delivers in 2 - 3 days without waiting to receive payment, they send a bill with the goods which they ask you to pay within 14 days...Thats a great convienance and as you say can be ordered from home wearing only your undies if you like with minium fuss.

However my reason for building a relationship is not to be best friends with the LBS (thats a bonus if it happens) but to be on good enough terms with the LBS so that if I need a special favour (help) then I can know I can rely on "my friend" to help out. 

Examples of this friendly advantage include the time a last minute emergency struck....

In one case they (SAINT SPORTS) even lent me a brand new frame because I found a crack on my frame (bought from another LBS) a week before a major event and the replacement (warranty) frame would not arrive in time.

And then there was the time when I broke my chain on a saturday afternoon after 5 pm at fountains (day before a national XC), by the time I got home it was dark and definetly no shops open (ok the on line shops were... uhm on line.... but I needed a chain NOW, who do I phone .... the FRIENDLY LBS who offers to open his shop and sell me a chain... 

Now thats worth more than any saving or convienance achieved online ?

Concerning price: I wanted a full XT groupset for my build. CW advertised for R5500, but did not have any stock at the time. I would have to wait for the next shipment which was only expected in two months.

I phoned Cycle Factory Store who quoted me R6200 for the FULL groupset excl hubs, but I only had to wait 1 day.

PLUS that inluded free fitment and 1st check-up service and peace of mind of local back up. They even picked up and delivered my bike at no charge.

I have been shopping there ever since...another happy ending.
The Crow2008-01-05 02:07:21

You will need to add the VAT & i understand they base it on the invoice value + 10%. check with a shipping agent on the tarif code for bike components ( I belive it is free) but check first. I searched the net for a tariff code and only found one that states duty free.

Chainreaction only ships free if its over 250 pounds. I will be doing the same thing shortly but am going to UK end jan so i plan to bring back with me

Big%20smile The Crow, thanks for your post regarding the purchase of your new XT groupset. Advertising is an invitation to do business and prices of any nature can be advertsised to attract the consumers attention .

As you said you had great service from your Lbs and at the end of the day you got what you wanted. An Afrikaans saying i have is goed koep geld is duur geld.

rgds sm

Madmarc, i read your comments with interest and note on the bottom of your quote you always insert"I would rather walk than ride Shimano"Please let me have your input on this as we all have choices in life so before you start walking let me have it from your perspective.

rgds sm

www.coolheat.co.za

Madmarc' date=' i read your comments with interest and note on the bottom of your quote you always insert"I would rather walk than ride Shimano"Please let me have your input on this as we all have choices in life so before you start walking let me have it from your perspective.

rgds sm

www.coolheat.co.za

[/quote']

Steven, easy, ShimaNO is ok, Campag is the BEST (or will you sponsor me a groupset to prove me wrong?)! LOLLOL

LOL

LovelyGirl's post have been removed as they are defamitory and racist, any other post in a similar vein will also be removed as they have no place and add no value on the Hub

Hmmm... Unfortunately whilst I did stand in line when the Lord was handing out talents I clean forgot to ask for the talent that would allow me to tell somebody's ethnicity and religion purely on their name alone...

So, Steven is Jewish I take it? Well he should thank his lucky stars he isn't black because this thread would probably have been along the lines of "since you're a wholesaler who acquired you business in a BEE venture and you really haven't worked for anything you have you should cut CWC some slack since he is taking the initiative in bringing low prices to the people..." LOL

South Africa... You just got to love it!