Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

I lost 20kg over 2 years and kept it off for 3 years now. Body fat hovers around 12 to 14%. 182cm and weigh 75 to 76kg.

Well done! No wonder you're happy, Martin!

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut more of the fruit, pasta, rice, potato and bread, and you could weigh 72 kg's ! Calculate what that weight saving in cycling equipment would cost ...

Why silly ? There is many health reasons to be thinner, and many more to eat less carbohydrates. You eat to what your friends think ?

The same as obese is a problem, too thin is also a problem.

Well done! No wonder you're happy, Martin!

I think this has a lot to do with his 15 hours / week of cycling/ gym than merely his diet ...

The same as obese is a problem, too thin is also a problem.

Off course, I am not saying being anorexic . 72 kg for 1.82 m frame is not too thin. You think so ?

Results: 52 year old male, 182 cm

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 74.1 kgs

Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 72.6 kgs

Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 76.8 kgs

Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 79.5 kgs

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 61.3 kgs - 82.8 kgs

Cool calculator Topwine, but maybe a bit vague! My ideal weights according to a length of 188cm is below. Current weight is 82kg, although I'm not exactly "big boned". Exactly in the middle of the range of between 76 - 88kg! Personally I think my ideal cycling weight would be around 78kg, but you know us cyclists, always trying to weigh less. Also from the table below, that is the reason why I have a problem with the BMI on its own, because it gives quite a large range for your healthy weight.

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 78.6 kgs

Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 76.0 kgs

Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 82.2 kgs

Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 85.8 kgs

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 65.4 kgs - 88.4 kgs

The ideal human body weight has been a topic of debate for a very long time. Hundreds of formulas and theories have been invented and put to the test, but the answer is still debatable. The ideal weight should be unique for everyone. The major factors that contribute to a person's ideal weight are height, gender, age, body frame, body type, and so on. Here is a list of the most popular "ideal weight" formulas.

all these calculators don't consider muscle mass... according to BMI I officially classify as obese

all these calculators don't consider muscle mass... according to BMI I officially classify as obese

That makes no sense, BMI is measured with gut circumfrance height and weight, so unless you have one huge gut you wont be measured as obese. If you just go weight and length then yeah your results will be skewed.

Personally I think my ideal cycling weight would be around 78kg, but you know us cyclists, always trying to weigh less.

I think you might be close with 78 kg, but only you know your body/bone type and frame. The BMI range I like . I am right in the middle of that range with my weight.

I am always weary of BMI calcs etc...

I have a very large bone structure, currently weigh in just over 100kg and around 1.9m tall.

I have dropped from around 135kg over the passed 3-4 years...

While I am still carrying weight I still border on Obese??

Time for a HCLC diet? rolleyes.gif

That makes no sense, BMI is measured with gut circumfrance height and weight, so unless you have one huge gut you wont be measured as obese. If you just go weight and length then yeah your results will be skewed.

Nope. BMI only takes into account weight and height. That's why you should look at other factors and calculators as well.

"Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women."

Not sure if this has been linked to already, but it makes for an interesting read:

http://www.jaquelineduncan.co.za/

"My identical twin sister and I have a family history of high cholesterol (or is it? See the section on cholesterol). Having had it tested a few days apart from each other earlier this year it became a topic of discussion at our grandmother’s birthday dinner. We were debating the big C with our brother when we hit on the differing theories surrounding the dietary causes of cholesterol and how to deal with it.

I innocently remarked that it would be interesting for Jeanne and I to each follow one of the contrasting eating plans to see what happens. I then added that it would be great to get the input from Professor Timothy Noakes and a few months later that is exactly where we are."

While this isn't a representative study, it does give a good insight into the pro's and cons of a high carb vs high fat diet.

Nice read here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index#Limitations_and_shortcomings

So unless you are an athlete, BMI tends to underestimate heart disease risk.

However, a 2011 study that followed 60,000 participants for up to 13 years found that waist-hip ratio was a better predictor of ischaemic heart disease mortality.[28]

It al so acknowledges the differences in different frame sizes, therefore the ranges of +- 10 % given.

I continue to break personal records on this diet. Just returned from a TT training session of 27 km with about 500m of climbing into the wind mostly. Previous best 1:10 (on a afternoon windy run ) , now 1:06 . This is high intensity cycling for me and the fact that I lost 3kg in 2 months surely cannot account for all the time gained.

I continue to break personal records on this diet. Just returned from a TT training session of 27 km with about 500m of climbing into the wind mostly. Previous best 1:10 (on a afternoon windy run ) , now 1:06 . This is high intensity cycling for me and the fact that I lost 3kg in 2 months surely cannot account for all the time gained.

3kg will make a significant dent into any climbing run. I cut 2minutes per kg lost up Agatha which is a 10 km climb with 750 m climbing.

3kg will make a significant dent into any climbing run. I cut 2minutes per kg lost up Agatha which is a 10 km climb with 750 m climbing.

It seems one can cut about 1.25 % of your climbing times per kg lost, provided your power output stays the same. So I should have gained about 2.5 min compared to my actual 4 min gain. Not too bad.