2012 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour Race Day Updates

CycleTourWebbie

What an awesome 1st Argus! Hot!! Group H struggled to get going....very happy with my time of 3h11m! :thumbup:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He suffered solo until Smt and then jumped on a tandem with some pro rider for the rest of the route..... forget what the guys name is.

Ex pro: Andrew McLean ;-)

I will have to resign from the hub! I am not worthy to be amongst you guys! Time will probably be around 5h36.

You are SO wrong. Major respect to you and all thr guyswho suffered in those conditions for that long and had the will to finish! The pros get the recognition. You guys get the glory...

Yup. My first race was not so good. Very hot through Ocean View and Chappies. Frustrated because the climbs were very congested. As soon as I had rythm I had sto brake because riders bunching me in. Then; disaster as my legs cramped up before Chappies, waited, and went on again. Then again badly cramped in Houtbaai. Had to walk Suikerbossie. Also; Chappies was so congested, we had to unclip and walk the final 200m over Chappies.

I will have to resign from the hub! I am not worthy to be amongst you guys! Time will probably be around 5h36.

dude, now worries. I rode with a friend today and we managed a respectable 6 hours. Dont worry, we also walked over chappies and it was because everyone was stopping for a drink and there was just not enough space.

I hope there were no hubbers in that ladies finish crash. That looked really bad. Just looked at it, my boys recorded it on DSTV. Some really mangled bikes in there, and one guy landed solidly on his shoulders and neck.

I hope there were no hubbers in that ladies finish crash. That looked really bad. Just looked at it, my boys recorded it on DSTV. Some really mangled bikes in there, and one guy landed solidly on his shoulders and neck.

Watching that actually made me feel sick. Personally, I don't understand how the vets and ladies can race together and be mixed into one massive bunch sprint at the end. That bunch was way too big and was a disaster waiting to happen. And it unfortunately did. Hope all involved recover quickly.

Watching that actually made me feel sick. Personally, I don't understand how the vets and ladies can race together and be mixed into one massive bunch sprint at the end. That bunch was way too big and was a disaster waiting to happen. And it unfortunately did. Hope all involved recover quickly.

Ladies & Masters group also had a huge crash at the 99er.

Andrew McLean did it with the minister of sport, Jeroen Swart was the one driven Auntie Helen

I think our crash in Elite bunch on Hospital bend was almost as bad as the Ladieszzzz bunch...it was a real tense ride.

D group had 4 accidents before we got past hospital bend, I had no idea what was goin on and why so much mayhem. D group seemed MASSIVE!

I think our crash in Elite bunch on Hospital bend was almost as bad as the Ladieszzzz bunch...it was a real tense ride.

Came past there shortly afterwards.

So many near crashes in my bunch.

Blunted my competitive edge bigtime.

D group had 4 accidents before we got past hospital bend, I had no idea what was goin on and why so much mayhem. D group seemed MASSIVE!

What as the avg bunch size?

snapback.pngAuctionLamb, on 11 March 2012 - 08:24 , said:

I think our crash in Elite bunch on Hospital bend was almost as bad as the Ladieszzzz bunch...it was a real tense ride

:thumbdown: The elite group was way larger than allowed by the UCI for a race of this nature. Don't expect UCI rules apply to the Argus now the Giro has gone but they are made for a good reason.......

Edited by cyclingfiend