2012 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour Race Day Updates

CycleTourWebbie

Yes, as I came in on the N2 with my car, which was around 6h50, I saw those bunches, and they looked massive and very tight. Almost made me nervous of what is to come. Luckily I was on the front of the PA bunch as we got off, and it just seemed that the PA guys were much more chilled.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the last **** to fall(over hndlbars and hands on the floor and up again) in that video clip. I cant remember the fall but now i saw why my shoes are ruined!! My back wheel got pushed out the lugs :eek: ...my front skewer was open and as i try to pull my bike from pile up i saw this arm stuck btw my wheel and fork :eek: !!!! the guys on my left engulfed me with the fall; i came to an abrupt halt,i was still aiming to miss the crash happening left and right to the front of me!!! we in 30th position with 400m to go,if they wanted to win the race they should have moved to 5th.I was doing 50 and my 39x11-26 x 28 was spinning out 110 rpm - p.s thats the gearratio i rode my whole Argus.

Another thing that was upsetting was the tv crew, my god you cant drive in the middel of the bunch 3times at least, with your 1100cc bike with camera man standing doing 360 deg shots thats just plain dangerous!!!! :cursing:

I am the last **** to fall(over hndlbars and hands on the floor and up again) in that video clip. I cant remember the fall but now i saw why my shoes are ruined!! My back wheel got pushed out the lugs :eek: ...my front skewer was open and as i try to pull my bike from pile up i saw this arm stuck btw my wheel and fork :eek: !!!! the guys on my left engulfed me with the fall; i came to an abrupt halt,i was still aiming to miss the crash happening left and right to the front of me!!! we in 30th position with 400m to go,if they wanted to win the race they should have moved to 5th.I was doing 50 and my 39x11-26 x 28 was spinning out 110 rpm - p.s thats the gearratio i rode my whole Argus.

Another thing that was upsetting was the tv crew, my god you cant drive in the middel of the bunch 3times at least, with your 1100cc bike with camera man standing doing 360 deg shots thats just plain dangerous!!!! :cursing:

fork it man! glad you survived! Agreed, those cameramen are quite inconsiderate when it comes to crashes, etc

Edit: saw a few times on the race footage how the bike squeezed on the inside of a corner when the bike should have stayed at the back of the bunch.

Edited by Tiny K

Wow that was tough!! Started with my wife at 09h24 as she was doing her first Argus. And we did it on our MTB's with knoblies (my wife doesn't own a road bike). It was unbearably hot!! Well done to Sportsmans Warehouse for having ice and lots of water at their water point just before Little Chappies. Well, about 05h51 later we crossed the finish line. Auntie Helen and Jeroen were just in front of us. Victor Matfield was also in the mix through Camps Bay/Clifton, but we dropped him and his group at Bantry Bay.

Next year, either my wife gets a road bike or she's doing it without me on her MTB! Good training for Sani though! That sub-4 remains elusive. Next year ... God willing.

The Team 3GR race report:

Three generations of us finished together in about 5h30? (11 yr old, 13 yr old, 49 yr old and 73 yr old.) Rode together from start to finish without any issues except 1 puncture. Knew it was going to be hot, so packed lots of H2O as well as sandwitches for lunch. 11 yr old already talking about next year, 13 yr old full of himself and 73 year old think he'll keep riding until he can do it with great grand children. 49 yr old wondering for how long he can keep up with 13 year old. (I'm getting the little blighter a heavier bike for next year!)

Super ride! :clap: (And I met Catgirl along the way.)

Three generations of us finished together in about 5h30? (11 yr old, 13 yr old, 49 yr old and 73 yr old.) Rode together from start to finish without any issues except 1 puncture. Knew it was going to be hot, so packed lots of H2O as well as sandwitches for lunch. 11 yr old already talking about next year, 13 yr old full of himself and 73 year old think he'll keep riding until he can do it with great grand children. 49 yr old wondering for how long he can keep up with 13 year old. (I'm getting the little blighter a heavier bike for next year!)

I want to try get my missus to ride next year with a friend of hers (riding buddy's girlfriend) :thumbup:

Well done to all of you. thats just unbelievable.

snapback.pngAuctionLamb, on 11 March 2012 - 08:24 , said:

I think our crash in Elite bunch on Hospital bend was almost as bad as the Ladieszzzz bunch...it was a real tense ride

:thumbdown: The elite group was way larger than allowed by the UCI for a race of this nature. Don't expect UCI rules apply to the Argus now the Giro has gone but they are made for a good reason.......

Agree, think for next year they must take the first 150 riders of this year and put them in the Elite bunch.

My opinion about ladieszzzz crash...happens everywhere, that is racing! Tour de France have lots of crashes esp at the end. If you going to start the ladies on their own they going to go very slow and the Vets or A bunch will catch them eventually...so you going to end up with the same scenario for the sprint. The Vets that was left in that bunch is experienced enough to ride/race a bike so "lack of skill" was not the issue here.

Edited by AuctionLamb

I hope there were no hubbers in that ladies finish crash. That looked really bad. Just looked at it, my boys recorded it on DSTV. Some really mangled bikes in there, and one guy landed solidly on his shoulders and neck.

I was a spectator at the finish and it was really bad to watch. That guy ( well, I am sure it was him) was taken away in neck- and back braces. It was really sad to see riders walking over the finish line, covered in blood carrying fragments of bikes. :( Or others finishing - obviously hurt - limping over the finish line.

Fantom where did you see that, are you at the finish?

If so what are the organisers saying about the 35C+ temps?

I finished at 9.45 and it was already 29C... I don"t know how the group that started at 10h...something are surviving...?

I was part of the OA group, when we got to Chappies, guys were saying on their thermometers the road temp was 45degrees. A lot of people were sitting at the side of chappies who gave up and could not cycle anymore due to the heat. I was crazy. Everybod was cramping up and a few were taken away in ambulances due to heat stroke

I wasn't able to do last year's Argus, and was just wandering what the difference in time's were, due to the bit of wind and heat... I'm trying to get a rough idea so I don't feel so grumpy about me time!! :) I'm hoping you were all 20min faster last year??? :)

Good to hear this point of view.

It did look rough.

Hope you're okay and could finish your race, man.

I wasn't able to do last year's Argus, and was just wandering what the difference in time's were, due to the bit of wind and heat... I'm trying to get a rough idea so I don't feel so grumpy about me time!! :) I'm hoping you were all 20min faster last year??? :)

Well, last year was cycling heaven. :clap:

Comparing your performance from year-to-year is tricky - different overhead conditions, your own form, the nature of the bunch, a different seeding, age, etc.

Agree, think for next year they must take the first 150 riders of this year and put them in the Elite bunch.

My opinion about ladieszzzz crash...happens everywhere, that is racing! Tour de France have lots of crashes esp at the end. If you going to start the ladies on their own they going to go very slow and the Vets or A bunch will catch them eventually...so you going to end up with the same scenario for the sprint. The Vets that was left in that bunch is experienced enough to ride/race a bike so "lack of skill" was not the issue here.

Let ladies racing grow.... tough challenge.

I agree with auctionlamb. Racing is racing. And, I'm sure no foul play there, other than the ego of the males to not be beaten by a female. :whistling:

I want to try get my missus to ride next year with a friend of hers (riding buddy's girlfriend) :thumbup:

:thumbup: