Replacing Nuts and Bolts on your bike

tunariaan

Some of the new nuts and bolts seems to be rusting on my bike

i would like to replace it with something better and if possible in black

Where do you buy these bolts and nut kits and what would it cost aprox

Thanks

good question. I heard that you cannot use stainless, apparently is creates a reaction with alu??

Pa hire... ja chop! rather go play with one of your fag chommies

@Tumbleweed its mostly the ones from the stem to the steering bar but overall there is a few on the bike thats starting to rust

Go to a company like Bolt It and just take youur old bolts along. Ask them for same in 316 Stainless steel. 304 will still form a brown layer. 316 should be bombproof.

Black bolts are made of mild steel and will rust. Depending on the grade they may even insufficient strength wise as some grades of mild steel are weaker or more brittle than others. Stick with Stainless 316.

From bolt it a normal bolt will be about 30c and a nut about 20c. Bike shops will rip you off.

Pa hire... ja chop! rather go play with one of your fag chommies

@Tumbleweed its mostly the ones from the stem to the steering bar but overall there is a few on the bike thats starting to rust

Oh trust me I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the new nuts and bolts seems to be rusting on my bike

i would like to replace it with something better and if possible in black

Where do you buy these bolts and nut kits and what would it cost aprox

Thanks

Did you come right? What did you end up doing?

Go to a company like Bolt It and just take youur old bolts along. Ask them for same in 316 Stainless steel. 304 will still form a brown layer. 316 should be bombproof.

Black bolts are made of mild steel and will rust. Depending on the grade they may even insufficient strength wise as some grades of mild steel are weaker or more brittle than others. Stick with Stainless 316.

From bolt it a normal bolt will be about 30c and a nut about 20c. Bike shops will rip you off.

316 won't rust any less than 304. As far as the black bolts go, those are usually High Tensile bolts They come in three grades: 4.8, 8.8 and 12.9 with the higher the number the stronger the bolt. (Good luck cutting through a 12.9 HT bolt...) The reaction that takes place between Aluminium and Stainless steel is called Galvanic corrosion. I wouldn't recommend using stainless on aluminium unless you put something between the two surfaces to stop the reaction taking place. You can get HT bolts that are zinc coated as well as cadmium plated. I would rather use those.

316 won't rust any less than 304. As far as the black bolts go, those are usually High Tensile bolts They come in three grades: 4.8, 8.8 and 12.9 with the higher the number the stronger the bolt. (Good luck cutting through a 12.9 HT bolt...) The reaction that takes place between Aluminium and Stainless steel is called Galvanic corrosion. I wouldn't recommend using stainless on aluminium unless you put something between the two surfaces to stop the reaction taking place. You can get HT bolts that are zinc coated as well as cadmium plated. I would rather use those.

Now where can I go and find some black bolts in Durban/ Hiway area? Possibly the Nut & bolt shop on Crompton Street(Ptn) perhaps, I've not noticed any black bolts when I have been there before. Ive checked with almost every LBS in Durban and can't find anything.

Now where can I go and find some black bolts in Durban/ Hiway area? Possibly the Nut & bolt shop on Crompton Street(Ptn) perhaps, I've not noticed any black bolts when I have been there before. Ive checked with almost every LBS in Durban and can't find anything.

As far as I know, that black coating is like an electro plating similar to chroming. Not sure how they do it or who does it. I doubt that PTN Bolt and Engineering supplies will stock that type. They will have zinc/cadmium coated HT bolts and capheads though. 8.8HT should be fine. Standard HT bolts will come with a matt black finish and aren't weather proof. i.e. they will rust. The coating you are reffering to is a shiny black finish.

You don't live 150m from the coast do you? 304 will corrode more so than 316 by forming a brown layer on the surface. I understood he wanted his golts and nuts to stay nice and clean no matter what he bought. There is no need to go for HT as stainless is way stronger than Ti and you can replace all of your nuts and bolts with Ti without worries of breaking them at the correct torque setting. So like I suggest, get yourself some 316 hardware and save yourself time looking for the shiny black ones and the need to replace them in a few months.

Buy Galvanised bolts and go to an electo plating shop, ask them to please 'black passivate' them. If you don't come right send them to me and I'll do them here in Cape Town.

You don't live 150m from the coast do you? 304 will corrode more so than 316 by forming a brown layer on the surface. I understood he wanted his golts and nuts to stay nice and clean no matter what he bought. There is no need to go for HT as stainless is way stronger than Ti and you can replace all of your nuts and bolts with Ti without worries of breaking them at the correct torque setting. So like I suggest, get yourself some 316 hardware and save yourself time looking for the shiny black ones and the need to replace them in a few months.

The corrosion of the bolts should be the least of his worries. Even if I did 150m from the shoreline I wouldn't put stainless and aluminium together. Go read this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

If you have to use stainless be it 304 or 316 it would be advisable to put an insulator between the two such as a thin layer or copperslip to reduce the reaction.