Creaking noise from my crank

Gumpie

Hey folks.

I got a new Canondale 29er lefty at the beginning of the year. AWESOME bike. Loving every minute of it.

I am just a bit worried. I have started to notice a sort of creaking noise from the crank. It does not have any impack on the rotation of the peddles but it just seems like there is dirt of something in the crank. I have taken it to the bike shop but they dont seem to be worried.

I can recreate the sound if i hold the front brake and rock forward.

Any suggestions?

I could upload a video if you dont understand what i mean.

Edited by Gumpie

Hey folks.

I got a new Canondale 29er lefty at the beginning of the year. AWESOME bike. Loving every minute of it.

I am just a bit worried. I have started to notice a sort of creaking noise from the crank. It does not have any impack on the rotation of the peddles but it just seems like there is dirt of something in the crank. I have taken it to the bike shop but they dont seem to be worried.

I can recreate the sound if i hold the front break and rock forward.

Any suggestions?

I could upload a video if you dont understand what i mean.

Check your frame and particularly BB area for cracks. Also crank arms. Grease your skewers where they make contact with the dropouts. Remove pedals and regrease.

If you don't come right with the above then get someone to open up your crank and regrease the BB etc.

Could be anything..........creaks tend to resonate along the frame tubes and give you the impression that it is coming from the crank/bb area.

Has happened to me twice. Both times I thought it was the bb, the one occasion turned out to be the headset and the other was my saddle.

Hubby's got the exact same bike, same noise.

He had the crank serviced without success. He fitted someone else's back wheel and the noise disappeared. Realised the crank is not the issue

If you have Swiss hubs, remove your casette and grease.

I can recreate the sound if i hold the front break and rock forward.

Brake. But this suggests it's not your cranks.

"I can recreate the sound if i hold the front break brake and rock forward."

Surely that would indicate something around the headset/fork/front wheel ........ #notabikemechanic

Remove the chain then stand next to the bike and press down hard on one pedal in the forward down direction. Now repeat with the other pedal. If it creaks then it is the BB bearings.

If not put the chain back and repeat pushing the pedals. If it creaks then it most likely the dropouts but can also be something with the rear hub. Check whether there is play in the hub, wheel is tightened also remove the dropouts, grease underneath, put back then use loctite for the bolts and torque them to the correct value.

Had the same problem - try tightening the crank (big allen key) - mine was loose on the Sabie - luckily the mechanic seemed to know about the problem :blink: