Bike Building and DIY Frames

EigerSA

We don't seem to have much of a frame building fraternity here in South Africa compared to the rest of the world. Not sure why, though I imagine it's got something to do with the cost of bringing the right steel into the country - ironic since we mine and export it, and also maybe South African's prefer to buy something as opposed to making something.

One guy I've been following for ages is Brano Meres, an engineer who's into bikes and has built a bamboo bike as well as a carbon bike, just proving that it's totally within the grasp of the hobby builder. His newest build at first didn't look too great (at least I didn't think so), but it's grown on me.

http://bmeres.com/images/nighthawk04.jpg

And this is the actual build, not a computer render. Check his site out here... http://bmeres.com/nighthawk.htm

I also came across this on Kickstarter...

http://www.mixedmediaeng.com/files/7613/2944/3473/Frame_and_hardware_and_Jig_small.jpg

It's a complete hobbiest/home builder frame kit, including the frame jig made of MDF - pretty awesome.

More here... http://www.kickstart...ame-building-to

Now that is something I would like to have a go at. I like the look of that bike as well.

Now that is something I would like to have a go at. I like the look of that bike as well.

Yeah. The same thing runs to my dream of wanting to build a caterham or cobra. Home-made (in my home) to my specs. It's something I could do easily, if I had teh TIME and MONEY needed to buy a kit and build it...

I'd also like to build up an original Mini Estate (panel van) to a good spec over time. My first car was a 1275E, bored out and cammed away to 1310 & 265, with forged pistons...

In the future. In the future...

Yeah. The same thing runs to my dream of wanting to build a caterham or cobra. Home-made (in my home) to my specs. It's something I could do easily, if I had teh TIME and MONEY needed to buy a kit and build it...

I'd also like to build up an original Mini Estate (panel van) to a good spec over time. My first car was a 1275E, bored out and cammed away to 1310 & 265, with forged pistons...

In the future. In the future...

You are talking my language now...

Bucket list (in order of fanancial prefference and cash availability. Should get to the Cobra around 70ish :P ):

Custom frankenbike

Single speed

Cafe Racer

Lotus 7/Caterham

Cobra (Without the chrome)

I built my own bmx frame out of an old haro mtb with an arc welder years ago. Heavy but it lasted. I also had a lotus 7 for a month on loan from a friend. Awesome car and so simple to build actually. Get the book Build your own sports car by ron champion and have a look. I reckon 25 grand plus labour to get a basic one on the road. As for frame building, I can't find cromoly tubing anywhere. Any suggestions?

for chromoly tubing, take a drive to an airfield, there's usually a couple of guys building kit plans and they use chromoly tubing. Or maybe speak to the car racers, they must use chromoly tubing to brace their cars?

I bought AISI 4130 tubing a few years ago from ATS Motorsport Supplies in jhb. We used it for a roll cage in a rally car project.

The tubing they stock will not be suitable for bicycle frame building, the minimum wall thickness they stock is 1mm which makes the tubing quite heavy(and strong!!), even at 25mm diameter.

You will need butted tubing for a bicycle frame to keep the wall thickness on the ends thick enough for good weldability and fatigue strength, while having lower wall thickness in the centre part of a tube to keep the weight down.

If you want to do neat work, get a TIG welder, preferably a Thermadyne as they are good value for DIY enthusiasts. Otherwise you will have to build a lugged frame and braze the tubes to the lugs.

I built my own bmx frame out of an old haro mtb with an arc welder years ago. Heavy but it lasted. I also had a lotus 7 for a month on loan from a friend. Awesome car and so simple to build actually. Get the book Build your own sports car by ron champion and have a look. I reckon 25 grand plus labour to get a basic one on the road. As for frame building, I can't find cromoly tubing anywhere. Any suggestions?

I read your post wrong originally. If you're looking for chromoly for a bike build, forget it, can't be found in South Africa, you have to import it. Which is not too much of a problem since you'll have to import the headtubes and bb anyway. Look at Nova or Henry James, they supply complete kit you can weld up if you're handy with a tig welder, or butted frames. plenty of youtube videos showing the process.

Maybe i can help. 2 years ago i packed up my every thing in S.A and moved to the U.K to follow a dream of mine. 2 years have passed with many cuts and burns and i now feel i can call myself a frame builder. I would suggest contacting Peter from Ceeway for this beginners kit http://www.framebuil...partsbundle.htm. A lugged frame is far easier to start with than a fillet brazed or TIG welded frame.

If any of you want to take it further and make a frame at home i am happy to help you through the process (virtually)

Edited by Deep Section

• 1 month later...

Yea it proven pretty fruitless so far trying to source suppliers of 4130 chromoly here in SA :(

I am looking to build a bike too, hopefully more than one and havent had much success yet. I was considering using 304 stainless or even mild steel but not sure how it would turn out, or how strong they would be. Most bikes are from 4130 and have been heat treated etc.

I am thinking i am going to build one from 304 ss anyways just to check how it all works out...a prototype. This will get teh ball rolling and allow me to check dimensions and how components fit as well as allow for a jig to be made up.

I know Salvo are making their own frames from 4130 in CT and seem pretty good at what they do. I did approach them for help and as k if they would supply me some tubing....it fell on deaf ears and i had no response lol. I did however get a response when i emailed from a different account asking a price on their latest fixie. Go figure.