Leaving tubes on the trail

PYGA1

I went to groenies today and within 2 laps I saw 3 tubes left on the trail. If you get a puncture how hard is it to take the old tube with you ? Why be an inconsiderate BOX and dump it on the trail ? seriously wtf ?

I dislike this part of cycling (littering), I guess the more the sport of cycling grows, the more it becomes challenging to control certain aspect of it, just like you SoloStorm I hope there might be a solution sooner.

Agree, if you aren't bothered putting the tube in your pocket then I don't see the person carrying it to a bin on the trail. What pisses me off the most is that this is a nature reserve.

Agree, if you aren't bothered putting the tube in your pocket then I don't see the person carrying it to a bin on the trail. What pisses me off the most is that this is a nature reserve.

+1

Yip, unfortunately this is a mind set rather than lack of facilities.

This could lead to the trails being closed because of a few inconsiderate 'boxes'... :thumbdown:

I guess these boxes are the same type of tossers that go the wrong way on the course. Saw a father and son bunch today that were going the wrong way in a section of singletrack in the rooty section at Northern Farms today. Scary thing is: what is the father teaching his son?

One solution would be to have a rubbish bin or two on the trail?

Carry it to the bin or carry it home requires the right mentality as they are fundamentally the same thing. If you can carry it to the next bin, carying it home shouldn't be that much of an issue. The problem here as said before is peoples mindset. Some people just don't give a toss. Simple as that!

I went to groenies today and within 2 laps I saw 3 tubes left on the trail. If you get a puncture how hard is it to take the old tube with you ? Why be an inconsiderate BOX and dump it on the trail ? seriously wtf ?

If it makes you feel any better I picked one of those 3 tubes up today at groenies ( i wanted a new Chainstay protector lol) but ya it pisses me off too!!

How often do you see a rubbish bin with litter surrounding the rubbish bin?!?! People are just too damn lazy! Their way of thinking is "someone gets paid to pick it up" and that makes it all "ok" for them.

You can put bins along the route, but it will only help to a degree...if people are too lazy to roll up the deflated tube and squash it in their lil bag, pocket or sling it over their shoulder, they'll be too lazy to carry it to the bin along the route.

Just look at our beaches. There are plenty of bin everywhere, but people still choose to leave their rubbish on the sand instead of getting off their lazy ass, walking ten steps and dropping it IN the bin.

Makes me wonder what their home looks like...

Guest Frail4Life

PLS Make sure you ONLY Leave Continental Tubes lying Around! I am in Need of a few Good USED Tubes!

Morning all, Happy Thursday. I have an interesting / funny story to add to this problem.

I am getting 2 of my friends into the sport, and they are getting better. a few weekends ago we all went for a ride, and one of my friends, just before the end of the ride picked up a tube in his wheel, and had to untangle it. cursing the idiot who had left the tube there he removed it and littered the tube then him self :cursing:

When we stopped to regroup, he told me of the problem he had experienced, i told him that he should have kept the tube to throw it away. it was at this point he noticed that his saddle bag was open and all his stuff was missing, the tube he discarded was infact his own tube, and he had to go back and fetch the tube.

We have the same problem here in Cape Town. There is a good saying that if you see litter and don't pick it up yourself, you are as bad as the person who left it there in the first place.

How often do you see a rubbish bin with litter surrounding the rubbish bin?!?! People are just too damn lazy! Their way of thinking is "someone gets paid to pick it up" and that makes it all "ok" for them. You can put bins along the route, but it will only help to a degree...if people are too lazy to roll up the deflated tube and squash it in their lil bag, pocket or sling it over their shoulder, they'll be too lazy to carry it to the bin along the route. Just look at our beaches. There are plenty of bin everywhere, but people still choose to leave their rubbish on the sand instead of getting off their lazy ass, walking ten steps and dropping it IN the bin. Makes me wonder what their home looks like...

I am quite vocal about litter in the reserves mainly beacuase I deal with the Park authorities and one thing that is absolutely intolerable is litter. Look at the recent example at Suikerbos, how many antelope died from ingesting plastic? Why would anyone think it only happens at some places and not others. If litter is enough of a problem, any reserve will revoke the right to entry.

Now the beaches??!! I had to (again) first clear a 3x3m area of stompies before my 4 yr old daughter could scratch in blue-flag beach sand. When does this status get revoked due to littering??

People are sick.. :wacko: