Need advice on mtb purchase

I'm just starting out and what to get into mountain biking... A mate at work is selling a bike and I need to know if it's any good.

Bike specs...

Price R 7000.00

The specs for the MTB are as follows

Make: Mongoose

Model: Otero Elite Full Suspension, 24 Speed

Levers: Altus

Front Derailer: Altus

Rear Derailer: Shimano Alivo

Rims: Alex Rims

Brakes: Hornet Q3 Hydraulic Brakes

Front Shock: Suntour CXM

Rear Shock: Epicon

He sent pictures which I can add if need be...

Any advice is welcome thanks.

I'm just starting out and what to get into mountain biking... A mate at work is selling a bike and I need to know if it's any good.

Bike specs...

Price R 7000.00

Sorry Michael, but that's not a great deal. I cannot imagine that your mate will get much more than R1000 for that bike. It has very old generation components to it, and the Forks/Shox on there is really way way way out dated.

I would suggest you spend the R7k on a new generation 26"inch Hard Tail, you dont need full suspension as your first bike..

Here are some GREAT options at that price level, this is prices for brand NEW, and current generation equipment....

Really nice 2011 model, brand new and below R7k

http://www.thesportsbasement.co.za/p/127/rockhopper-comp

Latest model 2012, slightly higher than R7k...

http://www.thesportsbasement.co.za/p/181/trek-6300-2012-mtb

I'm not saying 2nd hand is not the way to go, just saying that before i pay R7k for HIS bike, i would rather take a new HT which has been discounted to a very reasonable price..

If I remember correctly those Otero's were around 5k new.... Another thing, is that really your middle name??

Use the classifieds as an indicator, it will give you some idea about what to get for your money. I'm afraid the Mongoose he's offered falls short.

Bike specs...

Price R 7000.00

Walk over to his desk...stare him in the eye's and give him a snot klap! End the friendship! That is a rip-off. Shimano Alivio is the absolute bottom of the range, usually fitted to cheap city bikes and the like.

Follow TheV's advice...search the classifieds on the hub and we'll keep pointing you in the right direction.

Not a good deal still has 9 speed and bike is like 15kgs not more the R3000 for that bike!

If I remember correctly those Otero's were around 5k new.... Another thing, is that really your middle name??

Ye , im shure "obike" has them new for between 4-7k , if so buy new or get friend to drop his price .

Brand new that bike was R8000 from Sportsmans... and even then it was a pretty bad deal. They could be bought for much less at proper bike shops.

EDIT: As 2nutz said, cheaper on www.obike.co.za There they go for R5295 for a brand new 2010 model

Edited by patches

Doesnt seem like much of a friend. Im selling my cannondale F4 with upgrades for less than that!

Not a good deal still has 9 8 speed and bike is like 15kgs not more the R3000 for that bike!

Fixed, makes it even worse.

Not a good deal still has 9 speed and bike is like 15kgs not more the R3000 for that bike!

Looks like EIGHT speed to me...

No no no no!

As was said above, get yourself a great hardtail for that, new! You'd spend about R3000 replacing the drive train alone in the not so distant future!

In the OP's defence, a first time buyer is always at risk of getting fleeced. A colleague at work recently paid R4k for an Avalanche "that had an aluminium frame AND rims with 21 gears!" He asked me what I thought he paid for it. I said between R700 - R1k depending on the condition. The expression on his face was a picture. Not a happy oneI might add.

@OP take their advice and shop around. You can get a way better bike than the Mongoose for R7k. Have a look at your LBS or browse the classifieds here. thehub classifieds are mostly priced right and if they aren't there is guaranteed to be somebody that is willing to point that out for you.