Cape Epic with a cold?

So on Monday I got slammed with a cold and have been in bed for three solid days, sleeping.

Not on any mediation other then some vitamins, corenza C and B12 injection and the cold is getting better.

How do you know if you are 100% to start the Epic on Sunday? Doesn't seem like flu...

:thumbdown:

I could be in CPT by tomorrow if you need me to stand in for you :whistling:

Hehe - sorry, bad joke. Check your resting heart rate, if 5-10 beats higher than normal, you aint over it yet. Also (and/or), when you start riding if your HR pushes up very quickly and doesnt recover as fast as usual, you aint over it yet.

Either way, I would ride the first 2-3 days easy, when you are recovering from a virus / cold your body uses up more resources than normal, especially when training.

Good luck, hope you feel better.

Hmmm... difficult one. If it's just a simple cold, then it should be okay. But - But - But - if it's not, and you do it, you're asking for trouble.

I'd go to your doc and just get it cleared by him / her before you do that.

My advice (not that it's worth much) don't do it. I know it's a helluva lot of money, but then your health is worth more.

In bed for three solid days sounds more serious, like flu, but I'm no doctor. Obviously you checked the symptoms between the cold and flu.

Should you HTFU and ride or take heed of your body? I don't know. Probably not ride, but what do I know.

Hehe - sorry, bad joke. Check your resting heart rate, if 5-10 beats higher than normal, you aint over it yet. Also (and/or), when you start riding if your HR pushes up very quickly and doesnt recover as fast as usual, you aint over it yet.

Either way, I would ride the first 2-3 days easy, when you are recovering from a virus / cold your body uses up more resources than normal, especially when training.

Resting HR now 58 which is close to normal, will go for a 1hr spin tomorrow to check recovery and HR again.....maybe is not a bad thing I spend the last week off the bike and in bed? Just looking for any positives at the moment!

In bed for three solid days sounds more serious, like flu, but I'm no doctor. Obviously you checked the symptoms between the cold and flu.

Should you HTFU and ride or take heed of your body? I don't know. Probably not ride, but what do I know.

I just knew I had to rest, I probably could have gone to work but decided to take a couple of days and make sure I recover.

Getting sick in the 2 weeks before the epic seems like par for the course. I know of quite a few guys who are on antibiotics for some or the other ailment that they picked up in the last week or so.

It is always as you start to taper off that these infections hit you - maybe some of the clever docs at the sports Science Institute can do a study on this.

I drink massive doses of Vit C, Zinc, Salmon Oil, Probiotics, Vit B and whatever might help to get me well before Sunday. Also had 2 Neurobium shots this week and will go for the final one tomorrow.

Getting sick in the 2 weeks before the epic seems like par for the course. I know of quite a few guys who are on antibiotics for some or the other ailment that they picked up in the last week or so.

It is always as you start to taper off that these infections hit you - maybe some of the clever docs at the sports Science Institute can do a study on this.

I drink massive doses of Vit C, Zinc, Salmon Oil, Probiotics, Vit B and whatever might help to get me well before Sunday. Also had 2 Neurobium shots this week and will go for the final one tomorrow.

Pasop as hulle jou laat piepie!!!!!

:eek:

Your heart-rate doesn't tell no lies... if you train with a HR monitor, which everyone should be doing (or atleast the people who has the ash/guts to do the epic) you will notice immediately when somethings wrong...