How do I climb better

I have never been a good climber, and it's starting to really bother me now. Today I passed some riders on a gentle downhill like that we're looking for parking, but the minute the hills started they steadily closed the gap.

I seem to climb at around 7 k/h on longer climbs, how can I get better physically? I do the position on the seat etc. my legs just don't want to allow me to keep the cadence high even in granny gear.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Train more, do hill repeats and maybe a bit of light gym work to strenghten the legs, train more.

Train more, do hill repeats and maybe a bit of light gym work to strenghten the legs, train more.

Does hill repeats mean climb it, go back down, climb it, go back down etc?

Should I rest at the bottom, do I take it like intervals, or just push the muscles to the max?

I have never been a good climber, and it's starting to really bother me now. Today I passed some riders on a gentle downhill like that we're looking for parking, but the minute the hills started they steadily closed the gap.

I seem to climb at around 7 k/h on longer climbs, how can I get better physically? I do the position on the seat etc. my legs just don't want to allow me to keep the cadence high even in granny gear.

How heavy are you, if you can lose weight and get stronger - hill repeats etc. that will go a long way to helping.

its easy find a steady hill and gogogogogogogogogogogogo wash rinse and repeat...

just dont do it every day.

walking lunges also help for me

1.Lose weight.

2.Start the climb in the right gear.

3.Approach with the correct attitude, don't attack the climb.

4.Get in to a rhythm.

5.Spinning like a helicopter gets you nowhere.

5.Keep looking to the top of the climb.

6.Pull your quads towards your chest and push your knee forward on the downstroke.

@NickC, I'm about 84kgs so a little heavy, but no matter what I do my weight doesn't go down.

Thanks folks, it's interesting to hear views.

1.Lose weight.

4.Get in to a rhythm.

6.Pull your quads towards your chest and push your knee forward on the downstroke.

1. Trying

2. Good on that one

3. Good there

4. Yup, got that one

5. Can improve this

6. Didn't know this one

Thanks!

but no matter what I do my weight doesn't go down.

get up at 5 eat small breakfast...

go riding

eat full breakfast

and also weigh your food and try cutting just one bad habit.

Edited by mingmong

The word trying to lose weight never inspires confidence, shows there's room for improvement.

just saying not trying to be rude.

I am trying to lose weight, 2 kg's to be exact, but it's been an 8 month battle.

Tenacious indeed, my problem is that if I don't see results after a short while I tend to get despondent.

But I was a bad climber even when I weighed 74kg's

1.Lose weight.

4.Get in to a rhythm.

7. Core work.

Got this from an article in the Los Angeles Times:

Top cycling coach Joe Friel, author of "The Cyclist's Training Bible," imparted some training wisdom during an hour-long live Web chat recently, including how to improve on hills. On that, Friel said, "The best way to get better at climbing hills is to simply climb hills. Initially the improvement will come because you learn how best to sit on the bike and apply force to the pedals: Sit back on the saddle with hands on the bars near the stem. Then engage the pedal higher in the pedal stroke than you usually do. This will allow you to apply force downward for a longer range than you would normally do. To improve climbing for racing or simply going over hills fast, do intervals on hills."

Seems straight forward enough :-)

7. Core work.

Core, core, core... if you can manage to get into the gym 2-3x per week...

Also, Thaba trails have all the hills you ever need, and what's good about it is it up, down, up, down.... so you dont have to turn around... course is just that way... And nothing beats a training camp at Mankele... you'll kuk when your'e there, but when you come back your FLY up your normal routes..

(Personally, what also works for me is playing little mind games on myself... and ill break the hill down into short sections, just the next bend, the next tree, the next rock... and i keep on telling myself all hills/mountains do END eventually)....

Good luck with them HILLS!!

Edited by TheV