Latex

boeing

What is the general knowledge, opinion and experience with latex BICYCLE tubes? Due to the nature of the hub, I ask for your cooperation with useful information i.e. no cocky (pardon the pun) stuff! but that is just wishful thinking!

The "stories" that I have heard is that the European guys on the epic that using latex had lots of problems with flats.   

Dont they use latex to make condoms?????? Buy all the government rejects and stuff it in your tyre!!!!!!!!

Latex tubes loose air overnight. You have to top them up each morning, whereas butyl tubes are more airtight and hold air much, much longer.

Why do people still use latex tubes even though it is an outdated technology? Because it is a few grams lighter.

Puncture resistance? No difference. A thorn that penetrates latex will penetrate butyl an vice versa. At pressure both these rubbers are flattened against the tyre by air pressure and anything that just peeks out beyond the tyre's inside perimeter will enter a tube.

As for the unfortunate Epic riders? They just rode through more thorns that the rest of us. But why are they still fiddlling with tubes in anyway? Oh yes, I forgot... they're 7.25 grams lighter than Stan's.

Johan Bornman2008-01-05 12:28:03

no calves, in that case change to normal tubes... i bought my 550 wheels back in 2005 and other than 1 puncture (that i can't remember - it was during the 'shova 2006) i've not had any probs! (i've done a lot more than 5500km on these wheels)

What is the general knowledge' date=' opinion and experience with latex BICYCLE tubes? Due to the nature of the hub, I ask for your cooperation with useful information i.e. no cocky (pardon the pun) stuff! but that is just wishful thinking! [/quote']

Nothing in it really - have used both super light butyl & latex tubes - both tend to loose pressure very quickly - great if you want to shave 50-100g off your bike on race day, but not practical for everyday training. I could feel no difference in handling/rolling resistance either. Stick to good solid 'heavy' tubes, for normally riding at the very least.