weight weeny!

Louis for real

after a few to many black and whites :blush: i got thinking...

Why are the majority of SA mountain bikers weight weeny's when they should be more interested in fun than racing?

ive given up and now am playing the comfort over weight card...

insights,chirps,comments welcome

Hey, ming, did hairysack put you up to this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and one more thing...racing is racing and fun is fun so why not have fun while your racing?blah blah blah

Dood - you were the one that opened with "rather fun than racing".

Some of us actually have fun whilst racing. Having a good dice with someone in a XCM/XCO is awesome. The problem is that non racers think racing is all serious and race face - racers scoff at "fun rider" non racers.

Pah - I say - there is room for both. Have your fun your way and don't care what other people think.

Weight, bling, comfort, longevity, colour, wheel size, whatever - we're all cyclists.

Group hug, apologies all round, kumbaya round the fire etc.

what this thread has learnt me is that most people on the hub are speed racers.

A few SA champs,a few podium racers and the rest are in it for the fun.

says ME, i have both, so it is easy to compare the two, duh

and what about bodyweight. some guys try and save 80grams here, and 20 grams there by fitting carbon seatposts and handlebars, but meanwhile back at the ranch they are 10kilo's over their ideal body weight - would it not make more sense to drink less beer and cut down on 10kilos than worry about a few grams on your bike?

Good to know you are the authority on fun...If a guy wants to save 20g while inhaling 7 pies and a 2L coke...let him. Not your place to say he/she shouldn't, it's another aspect of mtb that makes it enjoyable like servicing your own steed. Some guys enjoy riding dirt roads some guys like unsuported touring, some love racing and then your have the gravity / freeride crew. Live and let live man, this isn't highlander where there can only be one.

Good to know you are the authority on fun...If a guy wants to save 20g while inhaling 7 pies and a 2L coke...let him. Not your place to say he/she shouldn't, it's another aspect of mtb that makes it enjoyable like servicing your own steed. Some guys enjoy riding dirt roads some guys like unsuported touring, some love racing and then your have the gravity / freeride crew. Live and let live man, this isn't highlander where there can only be one.

Bwah ha ha :thumbup:

rouxtjie, i'm just saying, if you worry about grams, try and get rid of kilo's first - why spend all your attention on a leaky tap, when the burst geyser goes unfixed, get it?

each to his own i suppose...

Edited by sadamhussein

rouxtjie, i'm just saying, if you worry about grams, try and get rid of kilo's first - why spend all your attention on a leaky tap, when the burst geyser goes unfixed, get it?

each to his own i suppose...

I don't think it's always about the grams - people like to improve and upgrade. People put new wheels on their cars even though they don't race then, people put new plants in their gardens even though they will not turn their place into a show house, people buy new clothes before the old ones have completely worn out, people buy new watched before the old ones stop working, some people even buy more than one mountain bike!!!!! People like nice stuff - it doesn't need to make sense.

Don't forget "fat" is a relative term - many pros may be looking at you going "12% body fat - what is that fat loser doing riding an XT equipped bike" :D

I don't think it's always about the grams - people like to improve and upgrade. People put new wheels on their cars even though they don't race then, people put new plants in their gardens even though they will not turn their place into a show house, people buy new clothes before the old ones have completely worn out, people buy new watched before the old ones stop working, some people even buy more than one mountain bike!!!!! People like nice stuff - it doesn't need to make sense.

Don't forget "fat" is a relative term - many pros may be looking at you going "12% body fat - what is that fat loser doing riding an XT equipped bike" :D

Ironically ive seen many a fat bastid ride like a BOSS! :)

Hey guys ! Sorry I haven't read all the posts and comments so this might not have any relevance to your chat ! But I'm training seriously now on a light xc bike,±30 to 50 km every day Just to be fit for downhill later on in the Year ! Will my training prepare me enough for downhill ?fitness wise ?

It looks like a few people are a "little bit touchy". lol. Looks like my cycling for fun makes me less stressed! Thank-you for starting this post. It has really given me a few laughs.

Sadam - suffice it to say that is Spesh bikes came with flickers their owners would not use them...

Dude in the words of 'he that shall not be mentioned' you looking for a smack upside of the head with a nine iron huh ;)

Dude in the words of 'he that shall not be mentioned' you looking for a smack upside of the head with a nine iron huh ;)

For every norm there is an exception - in this case ye olde 9 iron dangler is that exception :whistling:

For every norm there is an exception - in this case ye olde 9 iron dangler is that exception :whistling:

Technically a Sand wedge is the heaviest club in the bag...id go for that.

Zoidburg, if ya wanna train for dh then do interval training, not just slog out the miles. Dh is sprint racing so you need to be able to go flat out for 4 to 5 mins while staying in control . So those arms need training too or the arm pump monster will get ya! Then you're screwed. The best training for dh is to ride your dh bike flat out down a dh track over and over till your arms and legs go numb.

Ah okay so its about full body strength and explosiveness ? The only problem I find on downhill tracks ( when I still had my DH bike :( ) was me running out of breath and my knees wanting to give in from being exausted ! So I thought it obvious to just get fit ! But I see what your saying , thanx !

Don't get me wrong, you need to be incredibly fit to be competitive at dh. A lot of the xc guys think that we are all beer drinking slackers( well I am but that's a different story!). So the base fitness training is important, but dh specific riding is as important.