Tokai - Snake Eyes rebuild

Just a quick post to let you know that work has started on Snake Eyes! Yes, I know! It’s going to snow!

Pain or Shine, myself and Beattbox (together with his son) were up there for 5 hours yesterday taking care of the first section of the right hand trail (the one that had become super rutted & eroded) and installed some new features, whilst modifying it to be more water-friendly. Unfortunately, it needs a bit of time (and rain) to bed in, and as such the right hand trail has been closed for a few days to let it settle. Deon & I will return in a few days to put a bit more compaction into the surface. You’ll see the logs crossing the trail at the point of the split, as well as further down, so it’s kinda obvious that that section of trail is closed.

The left hand fork is still open, so if you want to ride Snake Eyes and connect to Rinkhals below, I’d suggest using that trail for now. It links up with the main trail below the closed section of the right hand trail, so is fully rideable.

In terms of future modifications, these are going to happen in due time. At the moment, the focus is on rehabilitating the trail to a point where it is water friendly (IE: the erosion doesn’t happen quite as quickly as it did this time around) and the features will stay in place.

A big emphasis is being put on making the trail “ride-able” for all levels, so where there are drop-offs, jumps etc they will either be easily rollable, or there will be a chicken run.

All in all, we used up 2 tons of clay in the process. Suffice to say that we’re a bit sore this morning!

PS: If anybody knows how to do a rain dance, or has had success with Thor or another god of thunder / rain etc, then please feel free to dance your backside off for the next 10 seconds. We need more rain.

PPS: This was not an advertised build, as the go-ahead was given too late to organize a build party to go up there. There will most probably be one in the next few weeks, to continue with the revitalization.

PPPS: PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE CLOSED OFF SECTION! If you see anybody, please let either Pain or Shine or I know so that measures may be taken, and closures reinstated.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks CatpainMayhem, topic moved to it's hosted home, Tokai: Routes and trails

Please respect the closure.. this is the most important part of the repair, it needs time to bed in.

Thanks

Edited by Pain or Shine

Hi Guys

Ive been riding Tokai (jeeptrack) for the last three years and have just upgraded my bike and have started doing single track (very much beginner).

Its absolutely great and my enjoyment is enhanced by the quality of the single track in Tokai. I feel like a bit of a parasite enjoying somebody elses hard work so I'd just like to say a BIG THANKs of appreciation for the somewhat thankless work that so few are putting in so that so many can take out.

:clap:

Sorry I couldn't make it. Had to go ta a 1st of April wedding, I kid you not.

Pain or Shine is the best Rain Dancer by far in the Cape! Alternatively I can arrange a day of flyfishing for myself, which will also bring it on.

Just a quick post to let you know that work has started on Snake Eyes! Yes, I know! It’s going to snow!

Pain or Shine, myself and Beattbox (together with his son) were up there for 5 hours yesterday taking care of the first section of the right hand trail (the one that had become super rutted & eroded) and installed some new features, whilst modifying it to be more water-friendly. Unfortunately, it needs a bit of time (and rain) to bed in, and as such the right hand trail has been closed for a few days to let it settle. Deon & I will return in a few days to put a bit more compaction into the surface. You’ll see the logs crossing the trail at the point of the split, as well as further down, so it’s kinda obvious that that section of trail is closed.

The left hand fork is still open, so if you want to ride Snake Eyes and connect to Rinkhals below, I’d suggest using that trail for now. It links up with the main trail below the closed section of the right hand trail, so is fully rideable.

In terms of future modifications, these are going to happen in due time. At the moment, the focus is on rehabilitating the trail to a point where it is water friendly (IE: the erosion doesn’t happen quite as quickly as it did this time around) and the features will stay in place.

A big emphasis is being put on making the trail “ride-able” for all levels, so where there are drop-offs, jumps etc they will either be easily rollable, or there will be a chicken run.

All in all, we used up 2 tons of clay in the process. Suffice to say that we’re a bit sore this morning!

PS: If anybody knows how to do a rain dance, or has had success with Thor or another god of thunder / rain etc, then please feel free to dance your backside off for the next 10 seconds. We need more rain.

PPS: This was not an advertised build, as the go-ahead was given too late to organize a build party to go up there. There will most probably be one in the next few weeks, to continue with the revitalization.

PPPS: PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE CLOSED OFF SECTION! If you see anybody, please let either Pain or Shine or I know so that measures may be taken, and closures reinstated.

thanks guys, much appreciated - where do I drop off the crate of beer?

So whens the next build day? I am keen to swing my hoe on the Snake Trails!!

Is she light? Can we all have a go? :P

Just chatted to PorS. Easter is a bit of a stick in the spokes, but hopefully within the next 2 weeks. Will keep you guys posted should I get any more info, or if anything is finalized.

thanks guys, much appreciated - where do I drop off the crate of beer?

Hmmmm... Tempting. You can bring it along to the next build session, how's that? Then we can all enjoy a frostie after the hard slog!

Hmmmm... Tempting. You can bring it along to the next build session, how's that? Then we can all enjoy a frostie after the hard slog!

agreed!

Then let's make a date!

Beer does that.. :w00t:

Let's organize one. Try and shimmy around the fandamily commitments (yes, that includes your prisoner, PorS. BTW - did you manage to re-imprison her?)

Let's organize one. Try and shimmy around the fandamily commitments (yes, that includes your prisoner, PorS. BTW - did you manage to re-imprison her?)

Found her breaking back in.. ??

I take it you are not up to much this weekend.. The Easter one.. I can arrange a day (Saturday) but then need some commitment from 5 at least.

What say you? Does this thread go to notify the 27 odd listeners?

Then let's make a date!

Beer does that.. :w00t:

just give me dates so I can start negotiating!!!!!!