Santa Cruz Tallboy or Cannondale Scalpel 2

Toxic

Hi All,

After a lot of research I've decided that this is my final 2 options.

This will be my bike for a very long time (5+ years, at least) So I want to make the right choice.

Will do the 2013 Epic on this bike as well.

I'am 1.76 and weigh 72 kg and are an aggressive rider, so I do like a bike with a racing Geonometry. I have seen guys winning XC races on SC's before, which says that SC can also be raced, even though it does not have an aggressive Geo.

Now I know R50k is a lot of money, but I will not buy another bike for a long time.

Scalpel 2 29er (All is awesome, but I will change the AVID brakes to XTR trail) and also not very keen on the Rockshock Monach at the back. Will maybe change that to Fox RP23. Life time warranty on Cannondale Frame.

R46500. 11kg. Scalpel has a mix of AVID / XT / XTR on.

Santa cruz: Can custom build the bike the way you like, but will be more in the region of 60k+. 2 year warranty on frame. I will build it up with FOX kashima coated front and rear, XTR, with ZTR ARCH wheelset with chrisking Hubs. This is what I would love to have, but that will work out close to R73500k :( way to much... around 10.8kg

SC with a XT build up, with cheaper wheelset, will still be R55600 around 11.7kg

Is Santa Cruz really that awesome, even though it only has a 2 year warranty?

Had a test drive with Scott spark 29'er and didn't like it. also had a test drive with trek superfly 100, awesome ride, but it is overrated in my opinion.

Any opinions from people who have / had any experiences with these bikes, and any pointers that will make my decision a little easier?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things... I think if you shop around you could build up the Tallboy cheaper than the prices you have mentioned.

Secondly I looked very closely at bikes in this category and concluded the Spez Epic Expert Carbon 29 was the best buy. With a few upgrades you could have an awesome racing machine with all the SWorks tech for less than 50K.

Hi, the Santa Cruz is the best bike I've ever ridden. (I've been a mtb'er for 18 years). PM me and I will geve you contact details to get a Tall Boy for allot cheaper. I will rather go for SRAM XX and Mavic crossmax wheels(bomb proof) See you at the 2013 Epic!

Hi Toxic, I am riding a Scalpel 2 and since getting it have not touched my 26" People said that the 29ers are not suitable to XCO... come ride my trails ( sorry you can't) with my scalpel and see the way it handles. I did do some upgrades and now it is full XTR but worth the little extra..... Cannondales RULE.

People said that the 29ers are not suitable to XCO...... Cannondales RULE.

You listen to some dumb people and ... uumh the OP has already decided on a 29er and you're still trying to convince him 29er is best? :lol:

Agree with the Cannondale bit but I've not ridden the TallBoy so I really can't compare.

Toxic

IMO, you can do a lot more with the 50k.

There are other bikes and with that budget, you should be able to go XX and a decent set of wheels!!!

Shop around.

My suggestions:

Mike's Bikes, Greenside

Eagle Canyon Cycles, Fourways

Happy shopping

Cant go wrong with the Cannondale, but that's a brand loyalist speaking.

Just remember there is a choice of Lefty forks as well - main difference is lighter weight with the Carbon one, remote lockout is good as well.

Mannie Heymans used the 'dale option in the recent Epic and had good things to say, you could tweet him for a heads up @misterafrican

Edit: I think he has be playing with some 650B wheels on the said steed. ‏

Edited by kosmonooit

I'am 1.76 and weigh 72 kg and are an aggressive rider...

Santa cruz: Can custom build the bike the way you like, but will be more in the region of 60k+. 2 year warranty on frame. I will build it up with FOX kashima coated front and rear, XTR, with ZTR ARCH wheelset with chris king Hubs. This is what I would love to have, but that will work out close to R73500k :( way to much... around 10.8kg

SC with a XT build up, with cheaper wheelset, will still be R55600 around 11.7kg

@ 72kg, you could probably get away with ZTR Crest rims

(the wheelset has an 85kg weight limit, I think)

Hope Pro II Evo hubs would be a lot cheaper than the Chris Kings

A Sram X0 groupset falls between XTR and XT price wise and would be much closer to XTR in weight

I have owned two Tallboys, the most plush ride out there. Bike is very stiff and light.

However the geometry of the Tallboy is based on a trail design bike.

Depends what type of riding you do?

Simply if you are wanting to concentrate on XC racing, Scalpel 2

Weekend rides, adventure riding and a few races, Tallboy rules.

I don't know about how deep your pockets are, but I wouldn't do the Epic on a R50K+ bike. I would be too damn scared to stuff it up and then not race it properly.

If doing the Epic, I would rather get something like the Giant Anthem 29er, upgrade a few parts and then give the Epic hell and not worry to throw the bike around. But that is just me.

BTW, if i had that much money, I would have gone for the Scalpel. Maybe get 2, one bike to show off with on weekend rides and one for the Epic.

A Sram X0 groupset falls between XTR and XT price wise and would be much closer to XTR in weight

+1 on the wheels!!!

Two things... I think if you shop around you could build up the Tallboy cheaper than the prices you have mentioned.

Secondly I looked very closely at bikes in this category and concluded the Spez Epic Expert Carbon 29 was the best buy. With a few upgrades you could have an awesome racing machine with all the SWorks tech for less than 50K.

I had a look at the Spez Epic Expert Carbon, but did not like the fact that it is all SRAM, But after relooking at it, I will go and arrange a test ride. I will change the the brakes to XTR (as AVID brakes is crap IMO) THe rest I'am ok with on SRAM. How is the roval wheelset on this bike, meaning (bombproof or is it a little on the soft side)

Hi, the Santa Cruz is the best bike I've ever ridden. (I've been a mtb'er for 18 years). PM me and I will geve you contact details to get a Tall Boy for allot cheaper. I will rather go for SRAM XX and Mavic crossmax wheels(bomb proof) See you at the 2013 Epic!

Isn't XX an expensive groupset to maintain, for the little weight gain you get over XTR? I've got XTR on my Scott and must say it goes a long way, and very happy with it.

Hi Toxic, I am riding a Scalpel 2 and since getting it have not touched my 26" People said that the 29ers are not suitable to XCO... come ride my trails ( sorry you can't) with my scalpel and see the way it handles. I did do some upgrades and now it is full XTR but worth the little extra..... Cannondales RULE.

Hi Wendell, Did you change the cranks / casette / brakes and shifters all to XTR? Regarding the upgrade, did you're LBS do the upgrade before you take the bike out of the shop, of did you do the upgrades afterwards, and trying to sell the other parts separately?

Are you happy with the wheelset?

I'am not sure if I like a wheelset with a weight limit of only 85 kg. Would you do an Epic on a wheelset like this?

I've got a DT swiss wheelset with 240S hubs, and in 7 years never had to tru a wheel, and those hubs IMO is awesome.

A friend told me that the Chris King hubs are the best. I don't no anyone with Hope Pro II Evo hubs, but I will consider them, as the 240S hubs is also damn expensive.