chainreactioncycles vs local SA bike shops/suppliers

debullet

I decided to conduct an experiment: Use local bike shops/suppliers for what should have been a simple upgrade of a groupset and wheels etc for my sani2c machine. What a mistake! Chainreactioncycles would have been quicker, cheaper and with less risk of mistakes.

I would have thought that local guys would understand their competition and would make more of an effort with clients to make things more convenient and easier at least (cant do much about competing with the crc prices). Unfortunalety I was repeatedly let down, late deliveries, no deliveries, wrong parts (maybe my mistake, but dont think i would have made it if i had ordered thru crc), false promises and very little effort to make things write when they went wrong.

The latest shoddy service was cycle lab fourways. In desperation to get my bike finished and on the trails again I went to them to order the final component. 3 weeks have now passed and the guys cant even tell me if the couriers have picked it from the distributors in cape town. I was originally told it would arrive 'next week' and then 'next week' again. I could have ordered the same part 3 times over from crc in northern ireland in the same amount of time! Now i have to order from another shop who will place the same order from the same distributors, they recon it should take 4 days - lets see how this turns out.

Local bike shops need to up their game. I'm sticking with chainreaction from now on.

Had the total opposite experience at the lab...they got my bike back to me within 24 hours from being fubar(rocker link cracked) to racing again.

What did the manager or Andrew say...?

Crc rules!!!!

Ill also let you know another little secret....

www.probikeshop.com they rock!

I once had an un-named LBS stuff up so badly I nearly burst a spleen. Multiple contacts to follow up for a frame part, no result. I had to chase up the foreign suppliers, then their one branch that had the part, wonder when the local okes had received it or whether it was still overseas, only to find it was delivered months previously to one of the branches and they kinda put it in a shelf and forgot about it. And then act as if they're doing me a big favour.

I stopped buying from them instantly, until shop management changed. New okes seem like a good bunch.

Bike shop owners: consider the total CLV (customer lifetime value) of a purchaser rather than today's purchase. Also consider their ability to influence others - just yesterday I passed a good deal onto a hubber. R30k in the bag, no work for the shop except taking the order and selling him the bike. And I (almost) guarantee he'll check with them in future when buying new toys.

I'm a complete CRC fan. Price is my second priority - my first is range! There is no local LBS that can match CRC for range and stock. I'm like to buy "different" stuff and 9 times out of 10 when you phone a LBS shop they go "a what?". Then after explaining they promise to find it but don't/can't. No follow up - no return call.

It's far easier to do all my shopping on CRC and have it arrive in one go.

Normal stuff like tyres, patch kits, tubes etc I'll buy locally as LBS keep them in stock - eveything else - CRC!

But... Big ups to CL. Thanks Mighty Mouse. I took my daughters 24" wheel in for trueing as the nipples were rusted and old. Took a day and they didn't charge me. I think we often sprout the loyalty thing but it is important that THEY know you are being loyal. Make a point of greeting the salesmen, the workshop guys, the cashier. Let THEM recognise you and know that they are your LBS. I appreciate the service that I get at CL

Online stores Rule , you get what you want when you want it , none of this umm , ya we will try find that crap,and never hear from them again.

I use 3 and they always have what i need , cheap and fast

CRC

CWC

Buycycle.

just bought a pair on shimano mt43 mtb shoes from CRC for R660.00. best local price Buycycle R800.00 plus about R75 for shipping. Plus ordered some other stuff from CRC as well and got R145 further discount.

Got someone bringing the stuff over for me as well so no import duties either.

just bought a pair on shimano mt43 mtb shoes from CRC for R660.00. best local price Buycycle R800.00 plus about R75 for shipping. Plus ordered some other stuff from CRC as well and got R145 further discount.

Got someone bringing the stuff over for me as well so no import duties either.

Lucky that you have someone bringing the shoes in for you. The duties on clothing, shoes, helmets can be eye watering...

Lucky that you have someone bringing the shoes in for you. The duties on clothing, shoes, helmets can be eye watering...

Slick - I've brought in helmets and shoes from CRC with no extra taxes - I guess if the majority of the order is bike parts then it doesn't attract the attention of SARS...

Hi ,

We are a couple of guys looking to buy some Triathlon Wetsuits.....

Clearly CRC have Great prices! Would it be better for us to order the wetsuits from CRC.

We don't know how trustworhty these sites are??????

Hi ,

We are a couple of guys looking to buy some Triathlon Wetsuits.....

Clearly CRC have Great prices! Would it be better for us to order the wetsuits from CRC.

We don't know how trustworhty these sites are??????

Tough call - strictly speaking clothing should attract a 40% (?) import duty so it may not be the bargain you think it is.

In terms of trustworthy - I've placed 10 orders with CRC and only had one minor issue. They sent the replacement item and told me to keep the wrong one! Service has slipped a bit - first 8 orders I received in under a week. Last 2 have been about 2 weeks from placement of order to delivered to my door. Orders over R3,000 get free delivery to your door.

This order will be well over R3000.....

How does the Costs work exactly....

I am a bit clue less in regard with Import/Shipping cost...

Fine print is not my game! :blush:

What did the manager or Andrew say...?

Shouldn't have to involve the manager or owner for a simple product order.

I agree with the OP. Most retailers in SA need to wake up and start focusing on retaining customers.

I think a distinction should be made between the type of service you are expecting. If you like tinkering on your own bike then crc is the way to go. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of an lbs