29er help needed

Eugee

Try Bridge Cycles in Diepriver. I'm told that they have loads of stock on the floor and you can take it for a ride.

I'm not sure how much of a ride though - if it's just in the parking lot or off road.

Also I've seen a test track around the back of CWC so maybe they allow proper off road test rides.

CWC doesnt have any test bikes although they have the track.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK boys here is a totally different response from the usual. Rode a 26 inch for very long time and realy loved the bike, did the Epic on it and then the 29er scene started. Eventualy I went the 29er route and it took me about 3-4weeks before I fully got used to the bike. Then I absolutely loved it.

Now here is the kicker/difference, The 29er then went to the shop for repairs and I had to be back on the 26er for the past two weeks, rode various sort of terrain, including singletrack and really loose rocky climbs. The fact is that its human nature to find your new ride better, because you did a hell of a job selling it to yourself!!

My unbiased opinion is as follows: The 29er is a more stable bike and the taller you are, the more that is the case. 29er climbs easier and holds its line little better. 26er feels more nimble on realy tight technical downhill singletrack. Overall synopsis is that the 29er will NOT make you a better rider, the technicall skills you need to enjoy riding stays the same. The 29er in my opinion especially for tall bigger riders means a bike that climbs better, feels more stable, but need even more skill development on tight singletrack and technical descents.

With both versions you will get great value and you will enjoy riding, I still loved my 26er this morning on the tight singletrack coming down the Glen from Signal Hill.

Go with the 29er, but then you need to practice and practice even more those skills, THAT ultimately makes you truly enjoy these bikes!!! :clap:

Yes but as you say it took you 3 - 4 weeks to get used to it and climbing on your 26 er again you probably had no problems getting used to it. Just kidding with you guys I would like to go 29er route but I would lose to much on my 26 er. I think if I bought a 29 er now I might wake up and find the top tube and handle bars cut off and lying next to me in bed. :whistling:

So I'm going the 650b route.

get at CycleLab-Westlake. They have some demo bikes(when available) . I demo'ed a 29er DS (R52k) bike for a week, even did a race on it.

Edited by shade

I'd give my opinion about 26/29er debate but my mouth is too full of humble pie to talk....

I hear you are enjoying the taste of your humble "fish" pie... Let the results speak for themselves. Ride it like you stole it....

In Southern Suburbs, try the following

For Scott. Crown cycles - they do not have regular demos but did organize a bike from Scott to ride as a demo

Olympic cycles - will give you a demo but charge R500 for the pleasure of it. You get the R500 back if you buy from them. Paul is probably the best person to chat to there

Epic cycles - speak to Lance. I insisted on a demo and he organized one from the agents. I eventually bought from him,

In Somerset west, Cycle Addiction had demo bmc's when I last looked. Speak to Leon.

OK boys here is a totally different response from the usual. Rode a 26 inch for very long time and realy loved the bike, did the Epic on it and then the 29er scene started. Eventualy I went the 29er route and it took me about 3-4weeks before I fully got used to the bike. Then I absolutely loved it.

Now here is the kicker/difference, The 29er then went to the shop for repairs and I had to be back on the 26er for the past two weeks, rode various sort of terrain, including singletrack and really loose rocky climbs. The fact is that its human nature to find your new ride better, because you did a hell of a job selling it to yourself!!

My unbiased opinion is as follows: The 29er is a more stable bike and the taller you are, the more that is the case. 29er climbs easier and holds its line little better. 26er feels more nimble on realy tight technical downhill singletrack. Overall synopsis is that the 29er will NOT make you a better rider, the technicall skills you need to enjoy riding stays the same. The 29er in my opinion especially for tall bigger riders means a bike that climbs better, feels more stable, but need even more skill development on tight singletrack and technical descents.

With both versions you will get great value and you will enjoy riding, I still loved my 26er this morning on the tight singletrack coming down the Glen from Signal Hill.

Go with the 29er, but then you need to practice and practice even more those skills, THAT ultimately makes you truly enjoy these bikes!!! :clap:

I really DO NOT agree with this idea that 29ers are for taller riders.

29er usually has a higher center of gravity, this is nicely negated by shorter riders with lower gravity center.

The shorter rider will sit more 'ín' the bike.

This 29er = taller rider is an urban myth, ask Bury.

I know of several friends of about 5'2" who ride 29ers, they are much faster and more balanced than they used to be on 26ers.

I personally have 2 26er bikes ( love them ) and 2 29ers ( also love them )

Rode my Scott 29er dualie up Sani Pass and into Lesotho this past weekend and had not one issue with anything, rides everything up and down like a dream.

I also own a Scott 26er hardtail carbon race bike.

The difference is huge!

Hi.

I'm a male at 175cm. I road a merida 96 team for 3 years and also decided to try out the 29er bikes. Was very skeptical at first. I got myself the merida big nine 1200D and have not looked back once. I've actually went further and sold my 96 team bike. I do mainly marathons a I must tell you the bike is amazing. My oldest son 23 years old has gone from the specializes epic 26" to a 29er after riding my bike for the week. I really not a easy person to convince and don't really like changes. But it was well worth it. It a pity you can't ride one. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it went.

Rode my Scott 29er dualie up Sani Pass and into Lesotho this past weekend and had not one issue with anything, rides everything up and down like a dream.

I also own a Scott 26er hardtail carbon race bike.

The difference is huge!

Really :eek: - besides my hair growing back I didn't notice that but I guess if you're slow it doesn't matter what bike you ride :whistling:

Both a friend and i have been looking to upgrade our bikes. Now we have gone through the research thing and read all the 29er vs 26er threads and are more confused than ever. The one thing however that stand out in most of the threads is these words

"go to your LBS and test drive both and decide"

That's where the problem comes in. Does anyone know of a bike shop in the cape town region that have bikes to test ride on anything but the parking lot, cause the parking lot really doesn't tell me all that much.

Advice on what to get and why would be great too.

We are both looking at spending about 20k and we both do longer cross country to marathon style riding.

She is 1.7m (5foot7) and i am 1.8(5foot9).

Thanks guys

PM on it's way

I really DO NOT agree with this idea that 29ers are for taller riders.

Yes

29er usually has a higher center of gravity, this is nicely negated by shorter riders with lower gravity center.

Only from the manufacturers who jumped on the band wagon without doing proper R&D first)

The shorter rider will sit more 'ín' the bike.

Not really. This is only true when a guy who is 5'8 rides a medium vs a guy who is 5'10 and also rides a Medium. "On" or "in" the bike has to do with BB drop and to a lesser extend HT height.

This 29er = taller rider is an urban myth, ask Bury.

Yip

PM on it's way

Not sure what it says, but we would suggest you get in touch with Crow. He has an Anthem X 29er he does demo rides on so will be able to help you there. He's also been riding 26ers and 29ers back to back to front to over the top for the last 6 months and have a very broad knowledge base.

After that drop us a line for the best price on a bike in Cape Town.

WTF? Dude, do you let mates ride your wife? FFS!

Sometimes - if she needs a good laugh.

Guys

If you are targeting longer distances, go 29er.

Look at Burry and the likes, as well as "most" girls doing the Epic and other marathon events;

29er!!!

If you are riding more fast and short distances, like pure XC, go 26"

Happy shopping