Front wheel bending while braking

Gluteus Maximus

Hi guys!

As the title says, the wheel bends. I recently put on a 180 rotor, and since the wheel bends about 2cm at the top while braking (hard).

Is that normal?

Thanks!

Hi guys!

As the title says, the wheel bends. I recently put on a 180 rotor, and since the wheel bends about 2cm at the top while braking (hard).

Is that normal?

Thanks!

Check your hubs bearings. If they're shot, that will cause the wheel to flex (actually move laterally) under braking.

Edit: was happening to me..may also be that your bearing cups are loose.

Edited by cptmayhem

Hi guys!

Is that normal?

Thanks!

Ummmm No.

Fong kong wheels?

Are you sure it's not your fork that's flexing

I know that the SID flexes a bit, but that sounds like twisting!

Absolutely normal, but undersirable. I say normal because this is simply how physics works.

You don't say what rims, hubs and spokes you have on there but a hub-brake system works by appltying a compressive force to the disc, which applies torque to the hub, which tansmits torque from the left side to also some on the right side, from which both sides convert the torque to tension (both positive and negative) in the spokes, which is transmitted to the rim as torque, to the tyres as torque and to the road as a frictional force. It is a bit simple, but that's essentially what happens.

In a rim brake such as on a roadbike, there is no torque involved, only compressive and tension forces in the rim, tyre and road.

However, we're talking hub-brake here as in MTB.

The hub is essentially a tube that transmits torque from the left side where it originates at the disc, to the right. It is not perfectly stiff, so not all the torque reaches the right side of the wheel.

This has the effect that the spokes on the left side feel the braking force more than that on the ride and the wheel moves.

Usually you'll not see this but, if the hub is sufficiently flimsy (think weight weeny rubbish), the rim is sufficiently light (think weight weenie fashion) and the spokes not enough (think weight weenie folly), then this will happen.

As an aside, if the wheel is built with the pulling spokes (whilst braking) ont he wrong side of the flange, the pushing spokes could be moved into the path of the caliper.

These conditions are only really possible with a big rotor and very hard braking and underspecc'd parts.

Given the above conditions, it is perfectly normal.

Usually you'll not see this but, if the hub is sufficiently flimsy (think weight weeny rubbish), the rim is sufficiently light (think weight weenie fashion) and the spokes not enough (think weight weenie folly), then this will happen.

So....how long have you nurture these feelings towards weight weenies..... :whistling: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check your hubs bearings. If they're shot, that will cause the wheel to flex (actually move laterally) under braking.

Edit: was happening to me..may also be that your bearing cups are loose.

:whistling: it's all the pies... nothing to do with your bearings.... maybe the beer-ing...

I have a RS sid and AM Classics. Mine flexs quiet a bit under braking, but I still ride hard and forget about it when riding.